Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ndidi would be a brilliant signing but there is no chance in hell leicester are selling for 50m. He has considerable amount on his contract too.

Tielemans is as good as gone in the summer so they won't sell Ndidi as well.

I’m worried about the strategy to try and poach players from other midtable clubs in the same league. Obviously great to get players who know the league, but the problem is we’re not in a position to realistically get other clubs’ best assets.

Southampton wouldn’t let JWP go, Arsenal was never letting Smith-Rowe go and it’s likely the same with Leicester. Bissouma is about to leave, but hardly to us.

Most other clubs in a similar situation take the plunge and try to find top talent outside of England. Aren’t Villa capable of that? Focusing on a small number of proven top players from PL feels like a dead-end street.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichW said:

Lets be honest - there is absolute zilch chance Ndidi would come to us in the summer. It's a load of rubbish. Is he due a new contract by any chance? Sounds like agent talk. 

I think I read yesterday that he will have two years left on his current contract in the summer, so it could well be agents working away during negotiation time, or it could be time to sell him on for a fee depending on your outlook.

I was surprised a defensive midfielder, did not come in, in January.

I have to confess, it does seem hard to get one, for a variety of possible reasons.

I am perplexed how Brighton and Leicester, can get Bissouma and Ndidi, so easily from their previous clubs.....are they so  much better at spotting defensive talent?

3 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’m worried about the strategy to try and poach players from other midtable clubs in the same league. Obviously great to get players who know the league, but the problem is we’re not in a position to realistically get other clubs’ best assets.

Southampton wouldn’t let JWP go, Arsenal was never letting Smith-Rowe go and it’s likely the same with Leicester. Bissouma is about to leave, but hardly to us.

Most other clubs in a similar situation take the plunge and try to find top talent outside of England. Aren’t Villa capable of that? Focusing on a small number of proven top players from PL feels like a dead-end street.

I think you are spot on.

we have to get them at source, like they do.

but that requires a gamble and time, and us not expecting world class signings every time we enter the market.

Only breeding our own or by spotting emerging talent, are we likely to produce the team we want...sure the odd opportunist signing like PC will come up, but you can't rely on that when you want specific positions filled adequately.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have to confess, it does seem hard to get one, for a variety of possible reasons.

I am perplexed how Brighton and Leicester, can get Bissouma and Ndidi, so easily from their previous clubs.....are they so  much better at spotting defensive talent?

Both purchased at a time when we weren't able to compete for that calibre of player tbf. Players of that ilk are in short supply right now, hence why you're looking at 50m valuations for them. Which other defensive mid signings in recent years have we definitely missed out on? There just aren't that many to go around it seems. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Both purchased at a time when we weren't able to compete for that calibre of player tbf. Players of that ilk are in short supply right now, hence why you're looking at 50m valuations for them. Which other defensive mid signings in recent years have we definitely missed out on? There just aren't that many to go around it seems. 

We could have competed for Ndidi or Bissouma back then, if we had known they existed. None of them were big stars when they came to England from Belgium and France, they cost about 15m each.

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

We could have competed for Ndidi or Bissouma back then, if we had known they existed. None of them were big stars when they came to England from Belgium and France, they cost about 15m each.

Nonsense. Why would they have come to Championship Villa back then?

4 hours ago, RichW said:

Lets be honest - there is absolute zilch chance Ndidi would come to us in the summer. It's a load of rubbish. Is he due a new contract by any chance? Sounds like agent talk. 

I think it may well be agent talk, quite a few players are in discussions for new contracts

What Rodgers and Wilf have said today in a press conference

Wilf:

“I am enjoying myself in Leicester. My family is here. My business degree is on hold after my daughter was born.”

Rodgers:

“He’s been a really important player in my time here. You see the importance I give to him in the team. It’s a young team at the moment. His experience helps the players. Wherever I ask him to play, he gives us a great physicality. There are still areas he can improve on. He comes in with a joy to train and learn. He gives us all.”

“He seems very settled, he’s moved into a new house. He seems very happy. He’s a pleasure to work with. We hope he’ll be here for a few years."

“He’s worth much more than that.”

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Kalvin Phillips is the only one that comes to mind. Granted, I don’t have a great depth of knowledge on Villas “missed out on” transfer history.

11 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Kalvin Phillips is the only one that comes to mind. Granted, I don’t have a great depth of knowledge on Villas “missed out on” transfer history.

I'll start. Off the top of my head

Rashica

Miguel

Falcao

Jermaine Defoe

Juninho

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I'll start. Off the top of my head

Rashica

Miguel

Falcao

Jermaine Defoe

Juninho

Lol I know there’s a very long list of players in general. I was referring to the “missed defensive midfielders signings in recent years” part though.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 11:21, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Seen Milner linked:

I'd take a 50 year old Milner over some of this lot. We lack characters, leadership and strength. I've always loved Milner, top pro and takes good care of himself.

Yes, he would fit in well with the Villa Old Stars. ;)

7 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

They would if we offered them enough, they unlike us are a selling club, after all. Or perhaps, we will look to add to our existing Brazilian and Argentinian talent? ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

To be fair, we only really know about the successful recruits, and not so much on the expensive flops like Slimani.

We spotted some great midfield talent in Veretout and Gueye, but the club was a **** mess back then.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

To be fair, we only really know about the successful recruits, and not so much on the expensive flops like Slimani.

We spotted some great midfield talent in Veretout and Gueye, but the club was a **** mess back then.

still not convinced on Vertout, buy Gueye wanted us as a stepping stone, made it clear....but I get your point.

I'm with Gerrard, lets remove the excuses.

• Like 3