Boubacar Kamara

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Not taking the piss here, but is he not a Muslim? 

Now you've actually got me wanting to Google more about these procedures.

Why is is they use pig in particular?

Are there other alternatives?

Do they match with human bodies more?

Because as an idiot I would assume there are animals etc with much stronger ACLs.

Interesting!

12 hours ago, Awol said:

Not taking the piss here, but is he not a Muslim? 

“I can say that the mainstream view of religious scholars is that it’s possible to use pig parts as long as we don’t have any alternative available,” says Dr. Mohammed Ghaly, a professor of Islam and biomedical ethics at Qatar’s Hamad Bin Khalifa University.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Anything11 said:

It was a non contact injury. Bulking up and specific fitness routines don't help. It was just bad luck.

Having said that nowadays the new pig ACL's they put in are stronger than the original.

Is this true? Really interesting if so!

after last season I’m kinda wondering if we preempt the injuries and just over the course of time give all our players pig ACLs?

Maybe some ‘ethical’ nonsense stopping it though 

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

“I can say that the mainstream view of religious scholars is that it’s possible to use pig parts as long as we don’t have any alternative available,” says Dr. Mohammed Ghaly, a professor of Islam and biomedical ethics at Qatar’s Hamad Bin Khalifa University.

Islamically you're given examples that you then use to drive your decisions so a lot of this is based on the individuals personal feelings. It is viewed by most that it would be permissible if it was "critical"  i.e. to save your life. So it is down to the individual to assess if an ACL repair is critical. When I did 3 of my ligaments, if I'd have been offered this, I'd have declined it as personally I wouldn't see an ACL as life threatening. The same popped up with the Horse blood/cells stuff that was popular a little while ago, Muslims largely avoided it for more standard methods

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, omariqy said:

As long as he doesn’t eat it then he’s fine 

Not necessarily, depends which source he would get the fatwa from. For some 'ulama (scholars) it is najas (impure) and the ijtihad would be it is safer not to do so. 

31 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

Islamically you're given examples that you then use to drive your decisions so a lot of this is based on the individuals personal feelings. It is viewed by most that it would be permissible if it was "critical"  i.e. to save your life. So it is down to the individual to assess if an ACL repair is critical. When I did 3 of my ligaments, if I'd have been offered this, I'd have declined it as personally I wouldn't see an ACL as life threatening. The same popped up with the Horse blood/cells stuff that was popular a little while ago, Muslims largely avoided it for more standard methods

Football is his livelihood - would that be classed as "critical"?

On 24/06/2024 at 10:00, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Just thought I'd ask as I see different dates banded around a lot, in relation to his return. 

Is it a 6 month injury? 9 months? I've seen some say he could return to training in October, some saying January. 

Nine months is a decent recovery from that injury so hopefully December and then starting games in January.

Â