Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Im hoping the fact we’ve bid for Bissouma means that he’s our number 1 target and this is a smokescreen for that (I don’t buy into that narrative personally). Hopefully we go in with a second offer.

Is it a fact that we've bid for Bissouma?

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't see the relevance of the fact that Luiz has 18 months left. If we need to replace him then we should replace him with a better version. There will be lots of time in the summer to do this if necessary. The club a player plays for should not blinker us to the quality of the player. For example I would not want to see us buy Pogba and he plays for a bigger team to Juve

This is very true. I'm afraid some people see Uruguay + Juventus and their instance response is to talk about how we've gone from Drinkwater 2 years ago to signing Juventus players and that we should all be grateful.

Personally, the fact that he plays for Juve (who are having an awful season) doesn't bother me, nor that he plays for Uruguay. I wouldn't want to sign McTominay from Utd nor Winks from Spurs - both are internationals playing for teams that would probably beat Juve and who play in a better league. The fact that we're targeting players from such big clubs is impressive and it's a coup in itself if we manage to sign them but it's not what's important.

It's about whether he is an improvement on what we currently have and I'm not sure he is going to be. Honestly, the fact that he plays for Juve really distracts people from the most important point - is he a good fit for us. I don't think he is. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

I think the debate around him is for debates sake and the fact he was linked in the exact same tweet that this forums favourite mythical signing in Kamara makes the debate.

I'd like to think that nobody is turning their nose up at him and saying he's not good enough. He's a good player at a good age and for £16m would be a risk free and smart bit of business.

The debate is more about which of these 3 good signings would be best and thats pretty justified, we'd have to close the site if we couldn't do that. Not to mention it's unlikely anybody has seen a huge amount of either of them or even Bissouma really. And even more unlikely that there is somebody has an educated opinion on all 3 of Brighton, Marseille and Juventus' players. Thats a few leagues to keep up on regularly.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Is it a fact that we've bid for Bissouma?

Percy reported we have which probably means it's true. £25m is a disappointing bid though and reminds me of JWP and ESR in the Summer. If they've scouted Bissouma and feel he is the number one choice to improve us, we should go all out and get him. 

Anyway, enough about him, this thread is about Bentancur and I don't think he's our guy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

To be honest, I think it's a myth that people on VT want a brick shithouse DM. Most of us just want someone to sit in front of the back 4 and read the game well, put a foot in where needed and be able to pass and carry the ball through the lines. Nakamba and Luiz do some of these things well but not others, hence why we're linked with new players.

TBH, this is exactly what Bentancur sounds like he does, but because nobody here watches Italian football it's just page after page of "Why aren't we paying 50 million for Bissouma instead?"

• Like 3

Just now, KMitch said:

TBH, this is exactly what Bentancur sounds like he does, but because nobody here watches Italian football it's just page after page of "Why aren't we paying 50 million for Bissouma instead?"

We'll see. Hopefully he's ace if we sign him!

I mean just going off of pure boring stuff like stats and graphics alone, he occupies the same areas of the pitch as Bissouma, while putting up impressive numbers - amongst the best in Europe in some cases - for tackles + interceptions, pressures, passing, carrying of the ball etc. Isn't that exactly the type of player people feel is needed? In the event he signs the proof will be in how well he plays, but I don't quite get the notion that based on evidence that he isn't a "good fit".

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Fickle fanbase

Overall, every fanbase is inherently fickle. 

Except Barnstaple Town FC - currently (and rightly) sitting stone bottom of the Southern League Division One South. We know we're dogshit, we expect nothing less, and my fellow denizens of Mill Road have just settled for the fact that nothing will change. We don't have time to be fickle. 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree with the last line especially. I genuinely think we’re two or three players from being a better team than Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves and even United. 

How we spend the next £100m is crucial. We can’t waste it and I from what I’m seeing and reading, this will be £16m wasted as he may fill a gap but I think we’ll be looking to improve on him again in 12-18 months time. If we signed someone like Bissouma, we’d be set for the next 4 years. 

Im hoping the fact we’ve bid for Bissouma means that he’s our number 1 target and this is a smokescreen for that (I don’t buy into that narrative personally). Hopefully we go in with a second offer.

I agree with you Delphino, if we sign Bissouma we can forget about reinforcing his position for the next few years. Bentancur may well be able to adapt to the Premier role, but that's not a certainty for the DCM position in the same way that Bissouma would be, so he might not be a 4/5 season fit.

However, I don't think that Villa do "smokescreens" anymore. All the clubs we deal with praise the integrity with which AVFC operate in the transfer market under NSWE/Purslow. If we've bid for Rodrigo then we're serious. Same with Bissouma. If Percy's right then there will be some serious hard bargaining going on, with each target's club knowing we have an alternative should their demands be unreasonable.

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I agree with you Delphino, if we sign Bissouma we can forget about reinforcing his position for the next few years. Bentancur may well be able to adapt to the Premier role, but that's not a certainty for the DCM position in the same way that Bissouma would be, so he might not be a 4/5 season fit.

However, I don't think that Villa do "smokescreens" anymore. All the clubs we deal with praise the integrity with which AVFC operate in the transfer market under NSWE/Purslow. If we've bid for Rodrigo then we're serious. Same with Bissouma. If Percy's right then there will be some serious hard bargaining going on, with each target's club knowing we have an alternative should their demands be unreasonable.

Agreed, I don't think we do smokescreens either. I think we're probably trying to negotiate with Brighton at present but we're just being honest and saying this is our bid but we have alternatives. I remember us going back with an increased offer for ESR in the Summer so hopefully we add £10m to our offer and get it done!

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed, I don't think we do smokescreens either. I think we're probably trying to negotiate with Brighton at present but we're just being honest and saying this is our bid but we have alternatives. I remember us going back with an increased offer for ESR in the Summer so hopefully we add £10m to our offer and get it done!

We went back with an increased offer for Smith-Rowe, but they still rejected it. If we’ve offered £25m for Bissouma, but they want £50m, I’m not sure an extra £10m will do it.

12 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Overall, every fanbase is inherently fickle. 

Except Barnstaple Town FC - currently (and rightly) sitting stone bottom of the Southern League Division One South. We know we're dogshit, we expect nothing less, and my fellow denizens of Mill Road have just settled for the fact that nothing will change. We don't have time to be fickle. 

Them fans have no ambition 😉

Â