Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Well yeah.

Anyway this is OT since Bentancur is from Uruguay

Was the topic not about the pace of Italian football as Bentancur plays in Italy and the argument was that the Italian national team has many players playing in Italy and hence the suggestion that the pace of Italian football was not a valid measure of where he would be good or bad?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Sparing a thought for those who were against signing him based purely on Juve fans' opinions, and therefore slated him this evening only for Juve fans to actually rate his performance. Must not know what to think.

I suspect many people are like me and had to Google his name to see who he was and what team he played for. I haven't a clue whether he would be a good buy or a bad buy and I my opinion is based on what I am reading here. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Was the topic not about the pace of Italian football as Bentancur plays in Italy and the argument was that the Italian national team has many players playing in Italy and hence the suggestion that the pace of Italian football was not a valid measure of where he would be good or bad?

Sure, let's go with that 👍

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I suspect many people are like me and had to Google his name to see who he was and what team he played for. I haven't a clue whether he would be a good buy or a bad buy and I my opinion is based on what I am reading here. 🤣

To be honest having watched the first half it would be difficult to judge any player. It was on a par with a preseason friendly in terms of pace and intensity. Apparently the 2nd half was even slower, think walking football 😀 

Juve supporting mate said Bentancur would be perfect for Villa as he would compliment JJ and SJM perfectly. Also he is good at tackling and interceptions are very good. 

He mentioned his passing is very very good. At £16-£20m we’re definitely getting a bargain if we get this over the line.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WHY said:

To be honest having watched the first half it would be difficult to judge any player. It was on a par with a preseason friendly in terms of pace and intensity. Apparently the 2nd half was even slower, think walking football 😀 

Doesn't sound like the sort of prep we need for a DCM coming into Villa. 

22 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Snap

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Like I say it was hard to judge but I don’t think he would be the answer. Would definitely need a lot of time to get up to the speed, physicality etc of the PL. 

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Well at least he’ll be well rested. It’ll make a change if we sign a player who isn’t already injured. Fingers crossed. 

I don't know enough about this player to say much. I'm just happy to see Villa in the market for players from clubs like Barcelona and Juventus. He might wind up being shit, but just a few seasons ago we were in the Championship and in need of a god run of wins to even make the Playoffs. Our rise has been meteoric and it's hard to believe sometimes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

You reckon this is going to be Traore all over again, mate?

The big similarity with Traore, and my main concern, is I don't think he really plugs the gap in the team he's being signed for. The style of player he is, isn't what I think will improve us. Bit like when I wanted Raphinha, or any winger with some pace, over Traore.

If you give Bentancur space he moves the ball round very well. You know, like Doug and McGinn do. He loses it under pressure. You know, like Doug and McGinn do.

Good age, good level of experience...he brings some height which we do lack. Interested to read about Suarez's glowing endorsement. We've got a great squad personality wise. They all buy in, they back each other up, they want to win and they'll fight hard for it. If he adds to that, great.

Forget fans, I'm not sure Juve the club are quite as desperate to get rid of him as Lyon were of Traore. (That was another big thing, he was absolutely finished at Lyon - I thought we'd have signed him for about £4m). Bentancur will cost a bit more and be paid a decent whack as well.

I'd rather we got Doug a new deal than sign Bentancur and lose Doug. Bentancur could need six months before he's of any use in games like yesterday.

What he could do, which Doug has failed to, is force us into a more passing style. Be the wall like Busquets was for years to bounce the ball off. Not sure though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The big similarity with Traore, and my main concern, is I don't think he really plugs the gap in the team he's being signed for. The style of player he is, isn't what I think will improve us. Bit like when I wanted Raphinha, or any winger with some pace, over Traore.

If you give Bentancur space he moves the ball round very well. You know, like Doug and McGinn do. He loses it under pressure. You know, like Doug and McGinn do.

Good age, good level of experience...he brings some height which we do lack. Interested to read about Suarez's glowing endorsement. We've got a great squad personality wise. They all buy in, they back each other up, they want to win and they'll fight hard for it. If he adds to that, great.

Forget fans, I'm not sure Juve the club are quite as desperate to get rid of him as Lyon were of Traore. (That was another big thing, he was absolutely finished at Lyon - I thought we'd have signed him for about £4m). Bentancur will cost a bit more and be paid a decent whack as well.

I'd rather we got Doug a new deal than sign Bentancur and lose Doug. Bentancur could need six months before he's of any use in games like yesterday.

What he could do, which Doug has failed to, is force us into a more passing style. Be the wall like Busquets was for years to bounce the ball off. Not sure though.

Study Legal English Sticker for iOS & Android | GIPHY

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If he is not a major upgrade on Doug should we really be looking at him?

• Like 1

Just now, PieFacE said:

Doug could very well be off. We may have to sell him in 6 months if he won't sign a new deal. 

That's just normal players in and players out. If Doug goes then fine, we will get a decent fee hopefully but if we are going to replace him we should be looking to improve on quality and not get like for like. We need better players to push up the league

• Like 1

Â