Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

Just now, StanBalaban said:

Firstly, there's no way we'll sell Doug for 15m (30m+ if he wants to go), but by some accounts he seems very happy to be here.

Secondly, the manager has said he wants competition and two quality players per spot on the field, so maybe Bentancur and Luiz push each other to become the best they can be. I don't think us Villa fans are accustomed to having a quality squad.

Thirdly, IF we are in for him, then Gerrard, Lange and co. must have seen something in the player that fits their plans for the team, which would trump 90 minutes watching a solitary game, plus the opinions from the fans of  "the Man U of Italy" on a message board.

Thank you! 👏

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Firstly, there's no way we'll sell Doug for 15m (30m+ if he wants to go), but by some accounts he seems very happy to be here.

Would that be the account with the perfectly formed rear, unbearably dank bod and Barbie doll looks per chance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Douglas Luiz is a very good footballer and we aren't going to be able to attract many players that are in the level above that at the moment. Coutinho is very much an exception, so it's a bit hopeful to expect that kind of quality. 

We just signed Digne too. We need to get better players in and we need to find these players. No excuses should be accepted

39 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Secondly, the manager has said he wants competition and two quality players per spot on the field, so maybe Bentancur and Luiz push each other to become the best they can be. I don't think us Villa fans are accustomed to having a quality squad.

Thirdly, IF we are in for him, then Gerrard, Lange and co. must have seen something in the player that fits their plans for the team, which would trump 90 minutes watching a solitary game, plus the opinions from the fans of  "the Man U of Italy" on a message board.

He is worth about 30m, but I doubt anyone is paying that figure for him, given he would only have a year on his contract. 

You might be right about having Luiz and Bentancur, but isn't Luiz fighting with Nakamba for CDM at the moment? If Bentancur is to compete with Luiz then surly that would mean Luiz or Nakamba is off. With Nakamba's recent displays and the contract situation, I would say it was more likely to be Dougie going. 

I also haven't come to any full conclusions on Bentancur, especially not on the basis of 1 game. 

49 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

this is all that needs to be said really. cheers Stan.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I also haven't come to any full conclusions on Bentancur, especially not on the basis of 1 game. 

I'm sure if this was to happen it would be as a result of people already knowing what he was capable of.

However the performance of Bentancur last night hopefully verifies what they think they know as I thought he was solid last night for Juventus.

Thing is he's won three Serie A titles and four domestic cups on Italy, can't believe those turning their nose up at him to be honest.

• Like 1

I've never heard of him but glad we are chasing a CDM, its much needed particular in the system Gerrard wants to play. He doesnt need to be better than Dougie, just better at CDM.

I also wouldnt put too much weight on fan forums, use ours as an example. If a rival club wanted to buy a villa player and used VT as a guide, they would either be getting someone who was brilliant, or completely shit based on what day of the week it was.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He is worth about 30m, but I doubt anyone is paying that figure for him, given he would only have a year on his contract. 

You might be right about having Luiz and Bentancur, but isn't Luiz fighting with Nakamba for CDM at the moment? If Bentancur is to compete with Luiz then surly that would mean Luiz or Nakamba is off. With Nakamba's recent displays and the contract situation, I would say it was more likely to be Dougie going. 

This is the bit that we as a fanbase can't seem to get our heads around. Nakamba happens to be injured (possibly for the season), and Luiz has been playing non-stop through last season, the summer and this. We pick up injuries, suspensions, fatigue, loss of form just like any other team, but the better teams are more ably equipped to deal with that. Having "2 players per spot" may not be literal, and could just mean having quality competition in all areas of the pitch.

I have no idea if we want Bentancur, nor have I ever seen him play. All I know is that our recruitment team will have a plan for any incoming player. That could be to replace someone, to improve the starting options, to change things tactically, or to recruit skills currently not in the team. 

33 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think most of midfielders are pigeonholed as only being able to play a certain position. That isn't how even the top Champions League clubs with the deepest squads operate. Most midfielders have at least 2 roles they can handle.

Who's fighting who for which position is more of a fan debate than what I think actually goes on in the manager's mind. He's just trying to pick the best 11 for each game from the players available to him, and the more versatile players give him more injury and fitness cover.

Edit: obviously Digne & Targett are competing for one spot, for example. And Nakamba can probably only play DM at this level. But players like Luiz, Sanson, Ramsey, Young, etc. can be slotted into a few positions, depending on the game and who's available.

Edited by KentVillan

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Bentancur and Bissouma are essentially the same player with one key standout strength each. 

Bissouma is an elite carrier of the ball. 

Bentancur is an elite passer. 

Defensively they are as good as each other so its either/or in my opinion. It will be interesting to see which one we are able to land. 

Nakamba has already proven himself a more than capable understudy at DM. 

Sanson is excellent and has a place in this squad long term imo. 

Where are you getting this from @Steero113 that Bentancur is an elite passer? 

Do I trust you who's never seen him play or the Juventus fans who have seen him play everyweek?🤣
image.thumb.png.e7f21f5e6eea0a80cb6ab333dbb14488.png

Edited by messi11

Â