Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

The other factor with a deal for Bissouma over Bentancur is the fact that maybe Bissouma doesn't want to join us. Maybe we've sounded out his agent and he wants Champions League football. He has a very high opinion of himself and is maybe holding out for someone like Liverpool who have also been linked.

It's fine saying "just pay what it takes to get Bissouma", but that doesn't automatically mean he'll want to come here.

If we've already bid then it'd suggest that he's interested, as we'd have asked his agent prior to doing so, I'd imagine. We're quite clearly a step up from Brighton in a few ways, not least the directions of the two clubs  as well as the sort of players we're getting in now, so I don't think there's any danger of us not getting him if a bid were accepted. Financially though, I just don't think it makes sense to pay more for Bissouma than Bentancur and if we can get the latter at an opportune time, much like we did with Digne, we'll be getting a steal in the long run. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

You've watched him for like 90 minutes, how can you be convinced either way? 

He had made his mind up on the signing based on Juve fans' comments on him from a forum circa 3hrs after the news broke. 

Way before he actually "saw" him play 🤣

On 22/01/2022 at 17:52, messi11 said:

WOW he's like the Juventus El Ghazi. All their fans want him gone and are celebrating/laughing at our interest.  They think he's terrible and have been waiting for a team to come in for him.
This is a BIG NO FROM ME. We don't want other teams deadwood. Plus he's not a proper number 6 what we need

Please dont sign him Aston Villa. I trust the Juventus fans. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

The other factor with a deal for Bissouma over Bentancur is the fact that maybe Bissouma doesn't want to join us. Maybe we've sounded out his agent and he wants Champions League football. He has a very high opinion of himself and is maybe holding out for someone like Liverpool who have also been linked.

It's fine saying "just pay what it takes to get Bissouma", but that doesn't automatically mean he'll want to come here.

Exactly. Stuff came out a week or so ago (probably from his agent) saying Bissoums only wanted a top 4 club move.

Bentancur’s defensive stats are much better than anything we have, and he’s an elite passer. Sounds like the combination of Marv and Dougie that ‘everyone’ wanted to see. 

For only £16 million quid 😂 🍻 

• Like 3

A report from Bola.net in Italy stated this regarding the player's performance: "According to the WhoScored website, he got a rating of 7.58, the highest among all Juventus and AC Milan players. Bentancur's contribution is less visible when attacking. But he helped Juventus stem the attacks of AC Milan."

• Like 1

I think Bentancur is quite similar to Luiz in style and quality. This transfer makes sense if Luiz is leaving in the summer (probably for between 15-30m) as it will be a like for like replacement. Not a massive upgrade, but represents sensible business and forward planning by the club. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I think Bentancur is quite similar to Luiz in style and quality. This transfer makes sense if Luiz is leaving in the summer (probably for between 15-30m) as it will be a like for like replacement. Not a massive upgrade, but represents sensible business and forward planning by the club. 

I don't know this guy but this is the very reason I am hesitant. I don't want like for like, I want improvement. If we want to move up the table and qualify for Europe we need to improve our players

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is very true. I'm afraid some people see Uruguay + Juventus and their instance response is to talk about how we've gone from Drinkwater 2 years ago to signing Juventus players and that we should all be grateful.

Personally, the fact that he plays for Juve (who are having an awful season) doesn't bother me, nor that he plays for Uruguay. I wouldn't want to sign McTominay from Utd nor Winks from Spurs - both are internationals playing for teams that would probably beat Juve and who play in a better league. The fact that we're targeting players from such big clubs is impressive and it's a coup in itself if we manage to sign them but it's not what's important.

It's about whether he is an improvement on what we currently have and I'm not sure he is going to be. Honestly, the fact that he plays for Juve really distracts people from the most important point - is he a good fit for us. I don't think he is. 

I take your point but the examples you’ve cherry picked are two players who shouldn’t be any where near the first teams of their clubs and probably only are because they came through the academies. The former is an international for a country that struggles to qualify for every tournament apart from the Nations League and the latter should have never won a single cap, whereas Bentancur is presumably playing for CL club and highly ranked country on merit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Seemingly will provide some height which we haven't had for ages. Already has played for Boca and Juve so will be used to big match pressue.

I actually think this is coming into Gerrards thinking with regards to signings as well.

Many a player crack and/or underperform under the lights on the big stage!

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Seemingly will provide some height which we haven't had for ages. Already has played for Boca and Juve so will be used to big match pressue.

He's actually quite poor in the air for his height. Not terrible by any stretch but it's not one of his strong points.

14 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I thought Bentancur was very good last night for Juventus and these statistics verify it against a good AC Milan team.

Bentancur would definitely improve Villa, he is what we need. Keeps the ball, likes an interception and tackling.

Bissouma also would improve Villa but I have a feeling he'd rather be a Man Poo or Top Four/six player...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't know this guy but this is the very reason I am hesitant. I don't want like for like, I want improvement. If we want to move up the table and qualify for Europe we need to improve our players

Douglas Luiz is a very good footballer and we aren't going to be able to attract many players that are in the level above that at the moment. Coutinho is very much an exception, so it's a bit hopeful to expect that kind of quality. 

Â