Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Exactly this, the targets we seem to be interested in suggest that Gerrard and his team are not interested in a "typical 6" but a player who can do the defensive job sufficiently well but possess genuine quality on the ball with distribution to match. 

TLDR: To generalize, looking at the last 3 seasons stats for all 3:

Kamara: Very good pressure stats and likes to carry the ball. Passing good. 

Bissouma: Good tackler who likes to dribble and is comfortable in possession. Not even close to the other two on passing stats. 

Bentancur: Exceptional interception stats and has very good assist and key pass numbers for a deep lying CM. Good passer and progresses the ball far better than the other two. 

image.thumb.png.6ec3f2c281f0e112807d72541f5a80d0.png

image.thumb.png.2cc2f11627fafb0ed32d53d5bbdb23b5.png

Very interesting. So which one is best for our style of play? If Bentancur is really available at £16M then why more than double that for Bissouma? Kamara could fill our CD need but what real chance do we have?

20 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Also I think folk get waaaaaay too hung up on the intricacies of player being "not a 6". Considering every player we get linked with to play the role apparently isn't one I'd be surprised if there's many left in existence. 😂 N'golo Kante has played more games over the course of his career at CM than DM, yet in the hypothetical universe where we signed him to play as a 6 I don't think even VT would be arguing it was a bad idea because he hasn't been playing there all the time for Chelsea. Bentancur has played there, by many accounts performing at his best in the process, if he comes to Villa and replicates that form then I'm quite comfortable with saying he is one.

Fully agree. The 6 v 8 debate has gone a bit silly. People not wanting us to sign Bissouma because he’s not a 6, even though one of his biggest strengths is winning the ball back at the edge of his own box. To go with that, he just happens to be a superb midfield player who is more defensive than offensive. 

What do we want this mythical no. 6 to do? Stand in front of our centre backs and win headers all game. Ban them from moving in case they could be accused of not fulfilling the 6 role. We might as well bring back Jedinak. 

Edited by juanpablosaliceband
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Very interesting. So which one is best for our style of play? If Bentancur is really available at £16M then why more than double that for Bissouma? Kamara could fill our CD need but what real chance do we have?

Firstly, I have no idea which suits our style of play best that would be for our management to decide but they clearly think that Bentancur suits or we wouldn't be in negotiations with him. 

As for Bissouma, I think his quoted price is two things. One is the mythical "PL experience tax" and secondly, I think we are being over quoted because it would be Brighton selling to a perceived direct rival. 

We seem to have gotten very adept at finding real value. Bentancur was a £45m player 18 months ago and his situation with Juve needing to raise funds means he is now available for cut price. Think Sanson in Jan 21. 

19 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Also I think folk get waaaaaay too hung up on the intricacies of player being "not a 6". Considering every player we get linked with to play the role apparently isn't one I'd be surprised if there's many left in existence. 😂 N'golo Kante has played more games over the course of his career at CM than DM, yet in the hypothetical universe where we signed him to play as a 6 I don't think even VT would be arguing it was a bad idea because he hasn't been playing there all the time for Chelsea. Bentancur has played there, by many accounts performing at his best in the process, if he comes to Villa and replicates that form then I'm quite comfortable with saying he is one.

The problem is that it's not always very clear when a player plays at CM and when they play at DM. In fact, if you go on to stats sites you'll find that there are almost always discrepancies between the minutes they say the player has played in DM or CM. 

I don't think there's much difference between a defensively minded central midfielder and a defensive midfielder. They are for all intents and purposes the same really whether they are technically deployed as an 8 or a 6.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60104689

Aston Villa have approached Juventus in a bid to sign Rodrigo Bentancur as manager Steven Gerrard makes another ambitious move to strengthen his squad. 

The 24-year-old Uruguay midfielder joined Juve from Boca Juniors in 2017 and has won three Serie A titles.

Villa have signed Philippe Coutinho on loan from Barcelona and paid Everton £25m for France defender Lucas Digne in this January transfer window.

Interest in Brighton's Yves Bissouma was not encouraged by the Seagulls.

Gerrard, however, still wants to boost his midfield resources and talks with Italian giants Juve will continue this week.

Villa have also added to their goalkeeping back-up this month by signing Sweden's Robin Olsen on loan from Roma, having spent time on loan at Sheffield United, this after after a similar spell at Everton.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Yep.

It also ignores the fact that most CMs play slightly different roles week on week, in different formations, against different opposition all playing their own unique tactics and formations.

The job of a 6 defending against a team who run everything through a central 10 is different from the job of a 6 who is spare against a flat midfield 4.

If you play out from the back, you need your 6 to be great on the ball. If you’re playing direct, maybe that’s not as important.

It’s a team sport - and it’s *especially* a team sport in the middle of the park. People fixate so much on individual player stats, but it’s all about balance and what works for your game plan.

Betancur would obviously be a great addition to the squad, anyway…. If there’s any truth at all in the rumour!?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I hate seeing this myth perpetuated.

There was never any intention for Buendia and Bailey to compete for a singular position on the right. They were both signed to play in the same team as wingers, one on the left and one on the right. Bailey has also played more games on the left than the right. 

Therefore any notion that we payed £70 mill for 2 players to replace Traore is just bullsh** of the highest order, created simply to suit an agenda.

Nope. Bailey played predominantly on the right the season before we signed him and that’s where his father stated he likes playing the most, so that’s where I assume he sees himself here. Doesn’t matter where he played before. I imagine Cash played more as a winger than a right back in his career at Forest but we signed him as a right back. 

We spent £70m on those two, along with £25m on Ings so we didn’t have to field the likes of Traore, Trezeguet and El Ghazi. And, come the end of the Summer, I imagine all three will be gone as we’ll have improved even further. 

Stop with the bullsh** just to suit your agenda. The fact we signed who we did in the Summer is proof the club didn’t back our forward players. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

In that the stupid ones complain about him, while the smart ones understand his value and contribution?

That’s the line we’ll be pedalling if we sign him for sure!

This one worries me the more you read into it. Their fans seem to really dislike him and don’t really think he’s a defensive midfielder. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

In that the stupid ones complain about him, while the smart ones understand his value and contribution?

Take a fan base of way more than 100 million and there is bound to be some differing views :D 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s the line we’ll be pedalling if we sign him for sure!

This one worries me the more you read into it. Their fans seem to really dislike him and don’t really think he’s a defensive midfielder. 

This is a fanbase that booed Ronaldo when he was carrying them

• Like 3

4 hours ago, messi11 said:

Bertrand Traore was entertaining to watch, also frustrating. At time he had the touch of Neymar, other times he had the touch of Carlos Sanchez. He such a 1 footed player and his tracking back was questionable.

Which foot was that again? Right surely.

bertrand-traor%C3%A9.gif

Seems like this one is gaining traction so wouldn’t be surprised to see him at villa park by the end of the window.

The comparisons to Luiz are interesting, I like Luiz but I feel that we need a more aggressive ball winner in midfield. Maybe we are planning to shift Luiz on as he looks like he might be running his contract down, and this guy is a deliberate like for like transfer rather than someone to play a different role. The reviews certainly seem mixed from Juve fans but you have to say he seems like a very experienced player and coming from a top club with lots of international appearances you’d hope he’s got some proper too quality pedigree in his game

Edited by david-avfc

Â