Formula One - 2022

BOF

12 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Well they've completely **** up the on screen graphics so far this season but helmet cam is **** brilliant

Have they? They don't look that much different from last season to me

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Have they? They don't look that much different from last season to me

Qualy had quite a few errors in it.  But I also don't like the changed visuals of the lefthand tower.  The attempt to make it look slicker by making it black with smaller typeface has made it harder to read. Not hard to read for most, but harder, which will make it awkward for people without perfect eyesight.  I've seen prominent people online commenting that 'simple is sometimes better' making reference to same. But I guess the theory is if we don't change it then we're somehow not progressing, and that's bad mkay.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

Qualy had quite a few errors in it.  But I also don't like the changed visuals of the lefthand tower.  The attempt to make it look slicker by making it black with smaller typeface has made it harder to read. Not hard to read for most, but harder, which will make it awkward for people without perfect eyesight.  I've seen prominent people online commenting that 'simple is sometimes better' making reference to same. But I guess the theory is if we don't change it then we're somehow not progressing, and that's bad mkay.

The only thing I didn't like was them putting the drivers' numbers next to the name so much instead of the team logo. Harder to pick out where certain teams were. 
Yeah I know you just read the name and figure it out, but when you're just glancing over it didn't work as well for me

Does anyone really care about the numbers?

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The only thing I didn't like was them putting the drivers' numbers next to the name so much instead of the team logo. Harder to pick out where certain teams were. 
Yeah I know you just read the name and figure it out, but when you're just glancing over it didn't work as well for me

Does anyone really care about the numbers?

I agree, that's another unnecessary and negative change. When you add them all up, we've gone from clear and concise to polished but slightly muddled and a bit worse all in all. My guess is the numbers will be more part the driver's 'brand' going forward, in the way it is a bit in the USA.

• Like 2

Just to go back to DTS for a mo', and something that will quickly become a TTPYOTS.  The news that Stefano Domenicali is going to talk to Max Verstappen to see if he can come to an agreement about participating in DTS.  What will really piss me off is if participating in DTS becomes mandatory as an F1 driver.  Fine, by all means have your soap to the side and incorporate what footage you can in order to make it, and great for those who want to participate.  But F1 drivers are F1 drivers to race.  They already do enough contractual media stuff as it is.  If (... and thankfully it currently is an 'if' ...) it does become contractually mandatory to perform in a soap off to the side while trying to participate in a racing season then that will be far and away the biggest load of bolloxology I can remember in the sport.  All drivers should be able to freely say no to that kind of distraction if they so choose, and should be put under no pressure to do so. JMHO. I promise I'll try not to say anything about DTS from now on :)

And apologies if I came across a bit aggressive last week. There was holiday alcohol involved.

• Like 1

If Drivers are forced to do DTS and it all becomes polished and basically an extension of the official media duties then it becomes pointless. My favourite thing about it is that you get to see more of the drivers actual personality and their actual thoughts on things.

If i cant hear Gunther swearing like a trooper I'm out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Spot on, and add the fact that for about 10 laps all running order graphics were removed completely and the only graphic we got was F1 RACE in big letters.

Gee thanks, it's an F1 RACE is it? Didn't realise. Say no more

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Spot on, and add the fact that for about 10 laps all running order graphics were removed completely and the only graphic we got was F1 RACE in big letters.

Gee thanks, it's an F1 RACE is it? Didn't realise. Say no more

I think that's probably the FIA equivalent of a blue screen of death for the timing software, which would make sense given all the purple sectors. We'll give them those teething problems for race one :)

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

We'll give them those teething problems for race one :)

This response is far too measured. I started sharpening my pitchfork as soon as sectors started going purple at random.

Some of the errors were so bizarre I can only imagine it's a software/UI issue. There was one point where it cut to a midfield battle and the two names that it showed on screen as being in this battle were Kevin Magnussen and err... Kevin Magnussen.

Hopefully they are ironing out the kinks this week. It seemed like the weekend was the first time it had been tested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I wasn't that bothered by season 4 of DTS anyway. I think the more you follow the actual season, the less appealing that becomes. Just didn't really interest me

I'm exactly the same. The more I already knew the less exciting and enjoyable it actually was. 

The best bits of DtS are the behind the scenes sniping from the team principals when something unexpected happens. There were no midseason bombs dropped so S4 was a bit light on content. The only major driver move was Mr Saturday to Merc and we couldn't have any sniping between the people who were involved because it was basically all controlled by Toto.

I've heard Mercedes problem is down to the ride height. On the straights due to a suspension/aero issue there was a lot of vibration (some may have seen this in practice laps), so they had to higher the car, which in turn compromises downforce. I guess this is why they could not get the speed or lap times. Lets hope in the next couple of races they get to the bottom of it and Lewis is challenging up front with the big boys.

On 20/03/2022 at 22:01, Lichfield Dean said:

Well, Ferrari race in Alfa's red anyway. They should be in yellow, that's their house colour. 

Nah. They race in Rosso Corsa or 'Italian Racing Red'. Way back from the days before F1 where there were national racing colours, British Racing Green, France had blue, Germany white or matt silver/bare metal. Belgium was yellow. Some legendary examples the Tipo 11, Blitzen Benz, Bugatti Type 35

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I've heard Mercedes problem is down to the ride height. On the straights due to a suspension/aero issue there was a lot of vibration (some may have seen this in practice laps), so they had to higher the car, which in turn compromises downforce. I guess this is why they could not get the speed or lap times. Lets hope in the next couple of races they get to the bottom of it and Lewis is challenging up front with the big boys.

Nah to be honest I'd like to see it mixed up a bit, Merc have had 7 years of unrivalled dominance.