Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I’m the only person that thinks he’s okay as backup

Ability wise, he probably is OK.

Passing the ball around isn't really his thing, I'm sure he's a good trainer and has improved a lot in this area.

I don't think he's got it mentally. Or if he ever did, it's gone now.

He gets too nervous and goes to bits. It kills every part of his game, and our team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

He’s fine as backup, he’s a decent shot stopper just nowhere near Emi with his distribution he’s a typical backup keeper the bed wetting that goes on here about him is embarrassing at times.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

The issue for Olsen and will probably be the same for Gauci is that he would be a decent back up for Guzan, Johnstone, Nyland or whichever other keeper we had in last 10-15 years since Friedel. He might even be number 1 in that time

But he is backup to Emi who is an elite keeper at the moment and the drop in quality is massive and its obvious. Unless we are bringing in a top class backup keeper then will be the case

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I think he's played very well in his last few appearances. His reputation is permanently damaged in many people's eyes because of a few flaps in his early appearances which is a shame. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The issue for Olsen and will probably be the same for Gauci is that he would be a decent back up for Guzan, Johnstone, Nyland or whichever other keeper we had in last 10-15 years since Friedel. He might even be number 1 in that time

But he is backup to Emi who is an elite keeper at the moment and the drop in quality is massive and its obvious. Unless we are bringing in a top class backup keeper then will be the case

Also gets judged differently for letting a goal in or bad out pass that leads to goal that people give Emi a pass on all the time

• Like 1

he has a couple of problems that are his own - his save % must be pretty low as a stat-  and a couple more problems that are ours

firstly i think there's a misconception from fans as to what a number 2 keeper should be, he's never going to be a world beater, even though we're improving we're also arguably not in a position where our back up starts for half the league either, we then also have the problem that despite us getting better we are at our core a nervous fan base, if he starts tonight how many comments do you think there will be about him losing us the game before a ball is even kicked, how much nervous energy will there be around him when we play it around at the back? it doesn't help and then zat is right its a huge drop off between him and emi but thats natural as emi is the best in the world

FWIW i think we're ok for keepers, emi obviously, olsen as number 2 is just about serviceable for the 3 games a year we plan on using him and then we have various young options that we're hoping will come good

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he has a couple of problems that are his own - his save % must be pretty low as a stat-  and a couple more problems that are ours

firstly i think there's a misconception from fans as to what a number 2 keeper should be, he's never going to be a world beater, even though we're improving we're also arguably not in a position where our back up starts for half the league either, we then also have the problem that despite us getting better we are at our core a nervous fan base, if he starts tonight how many comments do you think there will be about him losing us the game before a ball is even kicked, how much nervous energy will there be around him when we play it around at the back? it doesn't help and then zat is right its a huge drop off between him and emi but thats natural as emi is the best in the world

FWIW i think we're ok for keepers, emi obviously, olsen as number 2 is just about serviceable for the 3 games a year we plan on using him and then we have various young options that we're hoping will come good

I'd hope Gauci gets the game tonight over Olsen (if we're changing keepers) - he's the long-term backup (and possible Emi replacement, I suppose) and has presumably been brought in because has the kind of qualities Emery and Co look for.

Olsen is absolutely fine as backup, though.  I think the problem is the clear change in atmosphere at the ground when he's in goal; and that's a bad thing, entirely on the fans.

• Like 1

He's not a decent backup at all, and that's not because he's backup to the World's number 1. It's because he makes the whole back line nervous and changes the way we play completely (for the worse of course).

I won't even go into whether or not he's a "good shot stopper" as it's kind of irrelevant given the above, but his goals conceded per game stats can't be pretty.

Apparently Barca are looking for special permission to sign a senior goalkeeper. Claudio Bravo who's 76 has hinted at coming out of retirement for them. Surely we could offer them Olsen and agree to let him cancel his contract?  Would be a great move for him and would free up wages

***Scratch that, as I'm assuming the not being able to sign free agents who were contracted to clubs may also apply

Edited by _AA_786

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â