Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

On 15/07/2024 at 15:16, mikeyp102 said:

Sometimes you need the people in the dressing room though. I agree on the pitch he makes us nervous, but he seems very professional, will help push Emi and good person around. 
Spain have just won the euros, I’m sure most of us watching would say if they had a good number 9 they’d be unplayable, but I’ve seen a few reports saying how the players found Morata so important, not just because of what he did in the pitch, but the stuff off it. 
There has never been any noise about Emery replacing Olsen and I think that speaks volumes. 

Cutler said on one of podcasts that Olsen is the best number 2 for Emi. As Emi is quite emotional that Olsen is great at calming him down

• Like 1

If Olsen did leave, who could we actually get to replace him that would be happy to be a number two? It's a very difficult position to fill with a quality player as unless you're a title winning side good player's don't want to only play a handful of games a year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

If Olsen did leave, who could we actually get to replace him that would be happy to be a number two? It's a very difficult position to fill with a quality player as unless you're a title winning side good player's don't want to only play a handful of games a year.

If you’re looking for an experienced player then Keylor Navas has just left PSG on a free at 37.  Safe pair of experienced hands while the likes of Gauci gets some more experience.

9 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'd have Ramsdale

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I'd have Ramsdale

He's not happy sitting on Arsenal's bench, why would he want to come and sit on ours?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

When RM pump their 7th in at Villa Park and we are getting knocked out by Stevenage I'll take solace from that 

Very unlikely We're not talking about the Great Stevenage team of two years ago

Olsen played well in his last couple of games for us, and that's all you can ask from a back up keeper when he's called on. I'm happy with him as cover for a usually fit Martinez. He seems a nice guy as well.

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If you’re looking for an experienced player then Keylor Navas has just left PSG on a free at 37.  Safe pair of experienced hands while the likes of Gauci gets some more experience.

Great keeper but was on a £200,000 a week at PSG and was Forest's number one only a year ago.

I'm not sure we could afford him or that he'd be happy being Emi's backup.

• Like 1

Apart from Arsenal with Ramsdale (who wants to leave for first team football), what club's in the league actually have a good backup keeper?

City had Ortega but he'll likely be first choice now Ederson is off. They can also throw money at backup players whilst basically guaranteeing them silverware. 

Liverpool have Kelleher as backup.

Newcastle have Pope and Dubravka, but rumours are Dubravka is off.

Getting a good backup keeper is incredibly difficult and anyone we get will end up looking worse than they are as they'll be compared to arguably the best in the world.

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

He's not happy sitting on Arsenal's bench, why would he want to come and sit on ours?

We could possibly offer him more games, and he could learn from the best

13 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Apart from Arsenal with Ramsdale (who wants to leave for first team football), what club's in the league actually have a good backup keeper?

City had Ortega but he'll likely be first choice now Ederson is off. They can also throw money at backup players whilst basically guaranteeing them silverware. 

Liverpool have Kelleher as backup.

Newcastle have Pope and Dubravka, but rumours are Dubravka is off.

Getting a good backup keeper is incredibly difficult and anyone we get will end up looking worse than they are as they'll be compared to arguably the best in the world.

Not this again. 

Either a shit hot young Argentine to play understudy to Emi, or a current first choice in the Champo. 

It’s really not that hard to find another option. With four competitions next season, there’ll be 10-15 starts on offer, at least. Plus our amazing training facilities and coaching staff. I just don’t buy the “good goalies won’t wanna come to Villa”.

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

He'd also cost about 40m and isn't very good

39 minutes ago, Powehi said:

Not this again. 

Either a shit hot young Argentine to play understudy to Emi, or a current first choice in the Champo. 

It’s really not that hard to find another option. With four competitions next season, there’ll be 10-15 starts on offer, at least. Plus our amazing training facilities and coaching staff. I just don’t buy the “good goalies won’t wanna come to Villa”.

Crystal Palace always seems to have an absurd array of goalkeepers for a club of their level. If they can do it so can we

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I get the feeling Gauci might play some games, but WHO KNOWS.

Me too. I think will Gauci start some of the early pre-season games, so we can gauge how far off he is from being the regular no.2. If he steps in and looks comfortable then I imagine we will look to move Olsen in before the end of August.

I would like to see what else we have in the GK ranks, we know what Olsen has to offer and it unfortunately isn’t good enough for a team with aspirations to win things.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â