Lucas Digne

villan-scott

Digne is so stiff as an outlet when playing. He does fine and I can't fault him too much but he's limited as an option. Just like Moreno was when he first joined I feel Maatsen is now a better option overall and will be more dynamic.

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

I must confess that I find the criticism of Digne to be very harsh. I think he is an excellent footballer, intelligent, technically good with the ball, and whilst I would agree that he didn’t get into enough forward positions today, this wasn’t really on him in my view.

Its great to have Maatsen lurking as the proverbial “ kick up the back side “ but I have not seen enough yet for him to be starting over Digne.

Agreed. He's a good player and does a lot for the side. Maatsen seems to be ideal as an impact sub and I wouldn't mess with that right now. Digne is the least of our worries. 

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

No point in him getting forward. Got zero pace

There was occasion midway through second where we broke their backline with pass but Digne was already gassed and didn't fancy running to the box. Just checked back and the move fizzled out.

We really need Maatsen on the end of these moves.

People always go on about a bigger squad and we have it now in some areas yet we seem to have the mentality of only trusting about 12 players to actually start a prem match.

Today was a ideal opportunity to give starts to Maatsen and Barkley at least. When you see how flat we were for most of the game I really hope Unai decides now is the time to trust some of the summer signings more. Bayern will take a fair amount out of us so we need those two as a minimum starting against Man. United I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I must confess that I find the criticism of Digne to be very harsh. I think he is an excellent footballer, intelligent, technically good with the ball, and whilst I would agree that he didn’t get into enough forward positions today, this wasn’t really on him in my view.

Its great to have Maatsen lurking as the proverbial “ kick up the back side “ but I have not seen enough yet for him to be starting over Digne.

Digne's been really good in last 12 months. However unless it's get to the byline and whip in a cross a few too many moves are breaking down at his feet currently. There's also more emphasis on him to become the attacking outlet with Konsa the other side again.

Maatsen can take us to the next level with his quality on counter. He was starting a CL final four months back so I find it a bit laughable he's going to take longer to learn our system and so not allowed to start prem games.

Aside from Pau he’s the most effective part of our back line going forward & (including Pau) our most consistent team defender. If we need a breakaway attack on the left we have Ramsey, the end product was lacking today but their link play showed moments of quality. 

Ive heard a lot about Ian being a CL final quality player but haven’t seen any of that in a Villa shirt. I believe he’ll likely prove to be a competent player but today he came on had a really poor give away and provided nothing that showed any improvement over Digne. 

Given our RB issues, is it that unthinkable that Digne could step in there for a couple of games whilst Maatsen plays at LB? He's not the most attacking of LBs anyway so if he was the sitting full back whilst Maatsen had license to bomb forward it probably wouldn't be that noticeable that he's a left-footer.

I guess he's competent with his right foot anyway.

This thread is nuts. Digne is and has been one of our best players. 

Today he wanted to take the free kick in the end, and Unai decides to sub him off and let Emi2 take it straight off the bench. Daft.

• Like 2

The annoyance is that there's space to exploit but he's doing the Matty Cash pull-back thing too much. 

Outside of pace, he's fine but it's becoming too safe in the cut-backs instead of driving forward with the ball. 

2 hours ago, Wezbid said:

The annoyance is that there's space to exploit but he's doing the Matty Cash pull-back thing too much. 

I would guess this is in large part down to tactical instruction. We know Unai plans/manages down to the smallest detail. I’d imagine the consistent cutting back & recycling through Pau is what he’s looking for. 

Edited by grantholtgolazo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I would guess this is in large part down to tactical instruction. We know Unai plans/manages down to the smallest detail. I’d imagine the consist cutting back & recycling through Pau is what he’s looking for. 

You're probably right, it's just frustration as much as anything. Sometimes it feels like the shackles could be slightly loosened.

• Like 1

With Konsa on the right you need someone far more dynamic on the left.  Just look at the goal when Ramsey, Maatsen and Duran combined for an amazing one touch goal. That dynamism looked very similar to when Moreno and Ramsey were linking together for amazing play game after game. 

This isn't about banishing Digne to the bench. He will play a large part this season but I feel he and Konsa are not compatible as the 2 full backs. Just kills any attack when both fullbacks pretty much refuse to overlap. 

Was arguing with one of the coaches yesterday when he was subbed, not sure if it was purely down to being taken off or because Villa had a free kick on the edge of the box perfect for a left footed strike.

Or maybe a bit of both. 

15 hours ago, AVTuco said:

This thread is nuts. Digne is and has been one of our best players. 

Today he wanted to take the free kick in the end, and Unai decides to sub him off and let Emi2 take it straight off the bench. Daft.

Yeah, really couldn't understand that one. Perfect for a leftie bending it around the wall and a right footer standing at the free-kick too not allowing the keeper to take liberties and not cover the far post. Taking him off and giveing it to the sub who just came on seemed baffling. Almost as baffling as bringing Philogene on who has shown absolute zero in all his games to date. 

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

This isn't about banishing Digne to the bench. He will play a large part this season but I feel he and Konsa are not compatible as the 2 full backs. Just kills any attack when both fullbacks pretty much refuse to overlap. 

You're obviously entitled to your opinion but that last bit just isn't true at all. Digne has two assists in 6 games, and in most games spends way more time in the opposition half than he does his own. Obviously that's dependent on the quality of the opposition to a certain extent, but he loves to get forward and his crossing is usually excellent.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

You're obviously entitled to your opinion but that last bit just isn't true at all. Digne has two assists in 6 games, and in most games spends way more time in the opposition half than he does his own. Obviously that's dependent on the quality of the opposition to a certain extent, but he loves to get forward and his crossing is usually excellent.

Getting forward and consistently overlapping your wide midfielder are two very different things. Most of our buildup involves Digne and Ramsey almost parallel to the defensive line.  Each pretty much getting in the way of the other.  Ramsey looks to overlap but Digne is pretty much allergic to it unless it's the most obvious of choices. So they play these nice triangles that lead to nowhere before recycling through the midfield to the other side of the pitch.

If Ramsey is our guy on the left then he needs an athletic fullback to interchange with. He had this with Alex Moreno before his injury and now with Maatsen. Otherwise lesser teams will continue to low block us and spring the counter when we run out of ideas in possession. 

Edited by Rightdm00
Wide not wife

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â