Lucas Digne

villan-scott

Digne is a great professional and fine as a squad player but with the importance of full backs in the modern game you really do need top players with lots of pace in those positions.  Hence we have spent big on the position.  The two will rotate but  eventually Maetson will start in the bigger games.

When it looked like he was being sold last year, I was pretty happy. Not only is he on large wages, his lack of pace bothers me. When he wasn't sold I was a little concerned. 
However, I thought he played really well last season. Granted, there are some issues. But overall he was strong for the whole season.
Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean that I am not delighted that we have brought in the rapid Maatsen. Im hoping that once he gets used to our first team that some of the attacking play between him, Torres, Ramsey, Rogers & Watkins is going to be very exciting. 
But I do think it's also good to have a decent old pro in front of him at the moment as he gets used to the way that our defence operates, especially with its high line & offside. 
And if Cash is out for a few months, we may have to bed in Nedeljkovic (or hopefully Geertruida) before Maatsen as doing both at the same time will cause last seasons Newcastle opening day issues until they get set.

20 hours ago, Pinebro said:

It isn't a nitpick example. It's a showcase how he is ruining many of our break aways due to his lack of pace. It happens in many games not just last night. 

He was also partly at fault for the first goal allowing Saka to cross into a dangerous area.

Both Digne and Cash are awful at preventing crosses. Big reason to why we conceded so many goals last season.

Preventing crosses is one of your primary duties as a fullback

I'm sorry but this simply ain't good enough 

That goal isn't on Digne. Had more opportunities to clear it and close Trossard down. It's a collection of errors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

That goal isn't on Digne. Had more opportunities to clear it and close Trossard down. It's a collection of errors.

Isn't one of your primary duties as a fullback to prevent crosses from your winger?

How can it not at least be partly his fault? Allowing a talented player like Saka to put the ball into a dangerous area is criminal

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Isn't one of your primary duties as a fullback to prevent crosses from your winger?

How can it not at least be partly his fault? Allowing a talented player like Saka to put the ball into a dangerous area is criminal

So a good full back should never allow any crosses in? Ever?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

It was more of a pass than a cross, maybe if he had pressured the player more he wouldn't have seen the pass, he had to much time to pick the pass. 

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

No, especially when they earn eleventy billion per week.

17 minutes ago, tinker said:

It was more of a pass than a cross, maybe if he had pressured the player more he wouldn't have seen the pass, he had to much time to pick the pass. 

Maybe if Watkins had taken his chances it wouldn't have mattered. Lets sell Watkins then :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Maybe if Watkins had taken his chances it wouldn't have mattered. Lets sell Watkins then :) 

Who mentioned selling anyone, not me, Dignes has played well for us and Saka is a very good player. They still got a bit of luck with it and it wasn't as good a chance as a host of our chances that fell to our players,  not just Watkins. 

Some games you just lose, didn't deserve to imo but you just do..

On 26/08/2024 at 10:28, The_Steve said:

it is a collection of errors, but I am tempted to think Lucas Digne, could have smothered the cross, with more intensity and desire.

In general, we allow too many crosses to come in to the middle, from both sides of the pitch.

Saka just got away from him, it happens. Digne was grabbing him and probably expecting Saka to fall over as he does most of the time but he sprang clear and just about keep the cross in and it was pretty much perfect as it wrong footed all of our backline. Rogers comes in to clear but ball hits him and falls perfectly to Trossard to score.

I thought he was fine for first 60 minutes but do agree when we were counter attacking he really wasn't an option on the left whereas Maatsen will be when you see his positioning for the Duran goal at West Ham.

That's what Digne can't really do so I'd like to see Maatsen start on Saturday as we'll be on the front foot most of the time v Leicester.

Maybe to balance out we bring Carlos in and move Konsa to RB.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

it is a collection of errors, but I am tempted to think Lucas Digne, could have smothered the cross, with more intensity and desire.

In general, we allow too many crosses to come in to the middle, from both sides of the pitch.

Maatsen is a lot more aggressive and tenacious than Digne.

I think it will be a lot improved at least on that side

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

dont think its about smothering or blocking the cross with more intensity its about him getting caught playing the man rather than the ball, white's step over has completely done him, he's facing the wrong way and tangled up, should have fouled him and taken the card

but to be fair to us, same as ned for the 2nd goal, both of their goals come from great passes

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

dont think its about smothering or blocking the cross with more intensity its about him getting caught playing the man rather than the ball, white's step over has completely done him, he's facing the wrong way and tangled up, should have fouled him and taken the card

but to be fair to us, same as ned for the 2nd goal, both of their goals come from great passes

We can debate the reasoning, and I don't disagree , but I still think in general, we ALLOW to many crosses to come in.

I think LB and RB are too ok with crosses coming in. I would be happier to see more desire and conviction to shut them down.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Maatsen is a lot more aggressive and tenacious than Digne.

I think it will be a lot improved at least on that side

I hope so.

I hope Lutshrel comes in.

19 hours ago, Xela said:

That's like saying "so a good full back should let every cross come in" always.

somewhere in between would be nice.

I think we could be better at stopping crosses coming in with the regularity they do.

When you concede in excess of 60 goals, it's nice to start somewhere.

I’m really not sure what Digne could do more. Him and Saka are tussling together and Saka releases the pass right on the line. Another day that’s out for a goal kick.

You have Lucas, Youri, Pau and Morgan and Ezri all reacting. Rogers wins the ball but you could argue he could just smash it out of the box. There’s a lot of luck in the goal - though it’s made from a great pass and finish. 

You could even say Onana needs to close Trossard down. 

Again, just a collection of errors and bad luck dealing with a fantastic pass. Let’s not scapegoat players so early into the season. I thought Lucas was otherwise fine and is a reliable player for us. 

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Second goal Ned can’t do anything about the ball over the top - his job is to marshal the line and hope it catches the winger out. If there’s any criticism to have I’d say JJ needs to be closing Partey down more. It’s a good shot but unfortunately for Dibu it bounces in front of him otherwise I think he saves it. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â