Lucas Digne

villan-scott

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Said watching him is agony. It really is.

Players like him, Donk, Carlos are the reason we can't get players in that Emery wants. Talented players. Not nothing players.

Sounds like you need glasses... though that will only help with clarity of perception not clarity of thought.

Players like Digne are the reason we got 4th and a CL spot this season. There's no evidence to suggest he's stopped anyone coming in, and in fact the evidence is to the contrary as we've had Maatsen come in and Moreno go out on loan, which would kind of suggest Emery wants him here. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Classic example

Gets bodied at the start of his run and not exactly a perfectly placed pass. If you want to nitpick isolated examples you can prove whatever point you want.

He obviously isn’t the speediest player in the squad but to say it’s agony to watch or think he’s a major reason we aren’t effective going forward is a bit rich.

If Emery didn’t rate him he would be gone, there’s interest in him, club has received at least one offer (that they, not just Lucas, didnt accept) that we know of, but he’s still here. Lumping him in with Donk/carlos is nonsense because Digne has played and contributed far more than either of those, and continues to.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

Gets bodied at the start of his run and not exactly a perfectly placed pass. If you want to nitpick isolated examples you can prove whatever point you want.

He obviously isn’t the speediest player in the squad but to say it’s agony to watch or think he’s a major reason we aren’t effective going forward is a bit rich.

If Emery didn’t rate him he would be gone, there’s interest in him, club has received at least one offer (that they, not just Lucas, didnt accept) that we know of, but he’s still here. Lumping him in with Donk/carlos is nonsense because Digne has played and contributed far more than either of those, and continues to.

It isn't a nitpick example. It's a showcase how he is ruining many of our break aways due to his lack of pace. It happens in many games not just last night. 

He was also partly at fault for the first goal allowing Saka to cross into a dangerous area.

Both Digne and Cash are awful at preventing crosses. Big reason to why we conceded so many goals last season.

Preventing crosses is one of your primary duties as a fullback

I'm sorry but this simply ain't good enough 

Edited by Pinebro

Fair enough, but I think in both cases you’re exaggerating Digne’s weakness. I disagree that’s he ruining “many” of our breakaways, and while there are absolutely instances where he should be better denying crosses I find cash far more culpable on that front. On the balance Digne’s one of the best pure defenders in the team. If Maatsen ends up being a better defender I’ll be ecstatic, I look forward to seeing more of that side of his game, but I don’t think Digne’s defensive performance is a major issue for us.

5 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

Fair enough, but I think in both cases you’re exaggerating Digne’s weakness. I disagree that’s he ruining “many” of our breakaways, and while there are absolutely instances where he should be better denying crosses I find cash far more culpable on that front. On the balance Digne’s one of the best pure defenders in the team. If Maatsen ends up being a better defender I’ll be ecstatic, I look forward to seeing more of that side of his game, but I don’t think Digne’s defensive performance is a major issue for us.

I very much disagree.

As previously stated we conceded 61 goals last season. That is a lot.

Cash and Digne's inability to prevent crosses was a big issue and it still is.

10 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I very much disagree.

As previously stated we conceded 61 goals last season. That is a lot.

Cash and Digne's inability to prevent crosses was a big issue and it still is.

I absolutely agree it’s crucial we concede less, just disagree that Digne deserves as large a share of blame as it appears you assign him. 

Just now, grantholtgolazo said:

I absolutely agree it’s crucial we concede less, just disagree that Digne deserves as large a share of blame as it appears you assign him. 

Wouldn't be as much an issue if he could contribute offensively. He can't move, so he struggles.

A £3m player we paid £25m for.

Just now, grantholtgolazo said:

I want to improve the team and the best way to acheive that is to get rid of the weak links.

That is Digne and Cash and in my opinion by a fairly large margin.

I think Cash and Digne are decent players by the way but Emery's progresssion is outpacing them

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I’d say his crossing/passing in final 3rd ability is one of the best in the squad. Set piece delivery is quite good, if not consistent as I’d like. 

Also think it’s largely overlooked how good he is in our buildup from the back, he’s adept at receiving the pass wide from Torres under press and retaining the ball, working the narrow space up sideline or creating the angle for a pass inside to linking midfielder. Without that capability many offensive opportunities never gets off the ground.

I’m boring myself to an extent on Lucas, don’t want to be one of the guys on here repeating the same view endlessly; just feel for a combination of reasons he doesn’t get his due from us for his contributions.

He had 3 assists and 1 goal last season. Doesn't really back up your argument at all.

Matty Cash had 2 assists and 2 goals so they are actually quite similar in terms of output.

Most of his crosses are just hit and hope.

But let's agree to disagree and not drag this out.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Get rid of every player every time they get outsprinted lol

What the hell is this clip.

If only. Few more years of his enormous contract yet. Won't be able to give him away.

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Get rid of every player every time they get outsprinted lol

What the hell is this clip.

An example showcasing his limitations as a footballer 

That's a real scoring opportunity if Maatsen is in the same situation 

Edited by Pinebro

Digne played really well against West Ham and had two crucial interventions that saved us. His ability to cross the ball is more than adequate. I'm not going to buy that he's a "weak link."

That said, you can convince me that, even with his lack of experience in our system, Maatsen should have started against someone with Saka's pace.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Pinebro said:

It isn't a nitpick example. It's a showcase how he is ruining many of our break aways due to his lack of pace. It happens in many games not just last night. 

He was also partly at fault for the first goal allowing Saka to cross into a dangerous area.

Both Digne and Cash are awful at preventing crosses. Big reason to why we conceded so many goals last season.

Preventing crosses is one of your primary duties as a fullback

I'm sorry but this simply ain't good enough 

Pretty sure that Cash had one of, if not the highest stats for blocking crosses in the premier league a couple of seasons ago. It was noted as one of his strongest attributes.

I'm worried that, like many negative posters on here, this time, you are just stating your opinion as fact just because you don't appreciate them as players. I'm sure after a few more weeks, Maatsen, with his pace, will be our regular starting left back. I also think that Nedeljkovic is going to play far more this season than some seem to think because of his age. I'd love us to get Geertruida in as well, but I'm not sure Emery feels that we need him. You talk as if Cash and Digne are letting us down every week though, when that simply isn't the case. They are good players and important members of the squad.

I really don't understand how there is more negativity about our own players than ever on this site since Emery took over. You'd think people would be happy and enjoying the most success and best performances in most people's lifetime, but no. More hate for our own players than ever!

Sorry if that feels like I'm singling you out, I'm not, and you've posted really positive things about some players, but there has been wave after wave of attacks against the players who helped us get 4th last season which I just don't understand. To be fair though, you're far better at giving your reasons than many.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A good player who has started the season well.

Just rewatched the highlights, and realised the first goal might have been preventable if he did a little better.

I keep mentioning that i'm a fan however the lack of pace sometimes let's him/us down.

If he was a little quicker the ball doesn't get into the box imo.

All easy to say from the sidelines and after the fact of course.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just rewatched the highlights, and realised the first goal might have been preventable if he did a little better.

I keep mentioning that i'm a fan however the lack of pace sometimes let's him/us down.

If he was a little quicker the ball doesn't get into the box imo.

All easy to say from the sidelines and after the fact of course.

A lot of blame to go around on that goal...

Digne didn't so much lose to Saka on footspeed; he got into a shirt-grabbing match with Saka and Saka stole the extra step by untangling at the right time and pushing off.

Rogers should have hoofed the ball into row Z

Bailey was unaware of what was behind him and let Trossard ghost in behind him.

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â