Lucas Digne

villan-scott

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

So, we paid near £40m for a bench warmer?

Why not? That's the thing Top 4 clubs do.

And btw, I think the price of 35 mill was inflated for PSR reasons, as it is obvious that the Kellyman price was over the top.

Edited by DeepDish
  • Like 1

Just now, DeepDish said:

And btw, I think the price of 35 mill wa inflated for PSR reasons, as it is obvious that the Kellyman price was over the top.

We will agree to disagree on pretty much all of that. 

• Haha 1

Yep. We will have the answer when the season is over. But I don't think paying over 30 mill pounds is the worst thing for players that will be part of a Champions League squad.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

Yep. We will have the answer when the season is over. But I don't think paying over 30 mill pounds is the worst thing for players that will be part of a Champions League squad.

And the key being Maatsen doesn't have to become out and out first choice this season, when he almost certainly will be in future.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

That would be a very simplistic take on it.

Maybe we paid £40m for a young up and coming talent to upgrade the quality of the squad, make it more competitive, that provides a slighty different style and set of capabilities if needed, that we can rotate between and in games, who will over time grow and adapt to Emery's requirements and the team, to eventually become the preferred choice in that position for most of the games.

Surely you do remember Emery saying he wants competition for every place in the team, rather than a first choice and a bench warmer?

Yawn.

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Yawn.

Yeh, I got the feeling that's what coherent logical arguments do to you, rather than just asserting baseless simplistic opinions.

How did that prediction of yours from earlier age, the one where you said "we're selling Digne. Simple." 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeepDish said:

Why? Because we bought a young LB talent? I actually think Digne will get most of the starts this season.

We bought a young LB talent who was also in the Champions League team of the season.

I would expect Maatsen to be first choice sooner rather than later. Especially if we are already exploring loan moves for Digne, even if the player doesn't want to leave.

12 hours ago, DeepDish said:

It's not the worst thing, no. It is stupid and will mean we fall away though.

I think Digne will start the season as our first choice LB, with Maatsen being integrated gradually at first from the bench. It will then be a battle between them to see who earns the shirt as first choice starter.

Moreno will probably be sold/loaned towards the end of this window. Earlier rumours suggest he wanted to go back to Spain. I would imagine something is going on behind the scenes. If someone had offered us £8m I think he would already be gone. 

• Like 2

I honestly don’t understand the persistent chat about him leaving and his wages. He’s a great player and arguably one of the best last season. He earned his bread and he would be far down my sell list. We need two good left backs. Maatsen doesn’t have the right to walk into the team he has to earn it from Digne. That’s what competition is. If we sold Digne I don’t think we would be able to improve on him. 

• Like 1

LB is the most rotated position since Unai came. It’s the most subbed players aswell (whenever both of them available). It’s not a proper stat but I think each game in Unai first season he’s been changing through the game or between games.

I think that will continue, we’ll not be sure who’ll start the game nor who’ll finish it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

I honestly don’t understand the persistent chat about him leaving and his wages. He’s a great player and arguably one of the best last season. He earned his bread and he would be far down my sell list. We need two good left backs. Maatsen doesn’t have the right to walk into the team he has to earn it from Digne. That’s what competition is. If we sold Digne I don’t think we would be able to improve on him. 

If he was sold while getting Hermoso who can be the defensive LB, while add to the squad by being a second LCB, while being less wages than Digne. That’s why, otherwise it’s good to have both right now.

13 hours ago, DeepDish said:

And btw, I think the price of 35 mill was inflated for PSR reasons, as it is obvious that the Kellyman price was over the top.

37.5 with Kellyman going for 19 so basically he was 18.5m 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â