Lucas Digne

villan-scott

Hasn't he been playing LCB a bit in pre season? Perhaps that's a plan Unai is thinking about to maybe try in the league cup rounds or a prem game where we'll have loads of possession.

I don't see him going either, perhaps in January.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Hasn't he been playing LCB a bit in pre season? Perhaps that's a plan Unai is thinking about to maybe try in the league cup rounds or a prem game where we'll have loads of possession.

I don't see him going either, perhaps in January.

That’s just down to a lack of options 

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

No chance. We didn't spend £35m on a new left back to sit him on the bench. 

Totally agree. as a medium/ long term basis. But I don't think he starts day 1

IMHO of course!

28 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

If an opportunity arises to get a player of his age and wage off the bill, you do it. Simple.

Yes your statement is simple, far too simple.

You could quite a easily say If an opportunity arises to keep a player of his calibre and importance to the team, you do it.

Age and wages are secondary criteria, primary criteria are if they are good players and a value to the team and squad, which Digne has proven to be.

Given the year we have ahead where we'll need depth and experience, and the fact he has 2 years left on his contract, I think he'll be here another year at least.

• Like 1

Just now, smokingzen said:

You could quite a easily say If an opportunity arises to keep a player of his calibre and importance to the team, you do it.

Age and wages are secondary criteria, primary criteria are if they are good players and a value to the team and squad, which Digne has proven to be.

Given the year we have ahead where we'll need depth and experience, and the fact he has 2 years left on his contract, I think he'll be here another year at least.

Nope. He will be sold or loaned if an offer is deemed acceptable due to age and wages.

Honestly what would be the point of letting him go now?
We'd get nothing for him, would have to pay to replace him and lose an experienced squad for little income.

Sure his wages are a bit of a nightmare, but he's been class the past 12 months. I say just eat the wages for 2 seasons and leave on good terms. He's worth more to us than a few quid off the wage bill.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Honestly what would be the point of letting him go now?
We'd get nothing for him, would have to pay to replace him and lose an experienced squad for little income.

Sure his wages are a bit of a nightmare, but he's been class the past 12 months. I say just eat the wages for 2 seasons and leave on good terms. He's worth more to us than a few quid off the wage bill.

We have three left backs.

Posted (edited)

Digne is a good player to keep around due to the fact he's much better defensively than Moreno and Maatsen, and sometimes you just need to defend. Keeping him provides much better balance in the LB role. 

However, guess his wages are a problem and could potentially prevent us from getting players in elsewhere. 

From a footballing POV, would much rather it was Moreno who moved on. Guess football doesn't work that way anymore though. 

Edited by PieFacE

The club are willing to let both Digne and Moreno go, or at least they were a few weeks or so back according to Tanswell, whether that's changed now we're closer to the start of the season I don't know, it was also said that Digne loves it at the club and playing for Villa - like for reall, jokes about his wages aside, so will probably be the harder to move on, if he does leave going to have to be very attractive offer for him

25 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

I'll reword the statement to make it better :)

If an opportunity arises to get a player of his age, wage and quality off the bill, you do it. Simple.

• Like 1

One of the first things Emery did transfer wise at Villa was to bin off Augustinsson back to Seville as his profile of player was too similar to Digne. He clearly said he wants different profiles at LB. Maatsen and Moreno are similar profiles. Digne and Maatsen are different profiles. If they can, I think they would choose to sell Moreno, extend Digne's contract on less wages, but with more years and have some continuity in that position. 

However, that's dreamworld scenario, unfortuantely they'll have to sell whoever brings in the £££.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Nope. He will be sold or loaned if an offer is deemed acceptable due to age and wages.

That's as long as the offer is acceptable to Digne of course. 

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â