Lucas Digne

villan-scott

On 22/04/2023 at 23:59, KentVillan said:

It is, for sure, but we are overpaying for the privilege in his case. Still, he looked excellent, and the competition at left back is clearly a good thing.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

If he wasn't on such a high salary, I'd love to keep him - but we can't have a backup making well over six figures. 

If Digne is on £100/wk more than another backup left back, but is a better player than whoever that may be then it's absolutely fine.  The difference is approx. £5m a season which is "nothing" to an established Premier League club.

He changed the game when he came on against Brentford and arguably earned us a point.  Each Premier League place is worth approx. £2m.  Having that sort of backup/rotation option could easily be worth a couple of places in a season (just look at people moaning about Olsen!).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If Digne is on £100/wk more than another backup left back, but is a better player than whoever that may be then it's absolutely fine.  The difference is approx. £5m a season which is "nothing" to an established Premier League club.

He changed the game when he came on against Brentford and arguably earned us a point.  Each Premier League place is worth approx. £2m.  Having that sort of backup/rotation option could easily be worth a couple of places in a season (just look at people moaning about Olsen!).

All fair points, but doesn’t FFP also factor in - overpaying in one position makes it harder to secure players in another? That’s basically why the Sky 6 pushed for it?

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

All fair points, but doesn’t FFP also factor in - overpaying in one position makes it harder to secure players in another? That’s basically why the Sky 6 pushed for it?

It does, factually, in terms of the cost.  Unless you're talking about hypothetically r.e: players asking for more because some are on higher wages?

I imagine the impact is fairly minimal either way, though.  Particularly as you'd have outlay to bring in a new player and also a likely cost implication for not making profit on Digne.

22 minutes ago, Risso said:

Emery said in one of the recent press conferences that he wants two players for every position. Left back therefore is the one position where we've got two really top quality players, and who have enough differences from each other to make them useful in different situations. I wouldn't be getting rid of Digne at all.

Agree, a settled player who’s doing well again, no point in changing up. Doesn’t change the fact Gerrard overpaid for him, but not the end of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Benfica actually have a few guys on rather big wages but only Guedes is anywhere close to Digne. And even he is "only" on a reported €112k/w.

Be interesting to see how they would finance it. Enzo Fernadez money burning a Digne shaped hole in their pockets perhaps

6 hours ago, sne said:

Benfica actually have a few guys on rather big wages but only Guedes is anywhere close to Digne. And even he is "only" on a reported €112k/w.

Be interesting to see how they would finance it. Enzo Fernadez money burning a Digne shaped hole in their pockets perhaps

Enzo and Nunez money

"Willing to listen to offers" :lol:

I bet we are. We will accept £0.00 to get those wages off the books...we won't be getting those wages off the books.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, sne said:

Could only see him going there on season long loaN.

Would still have two years left on his deal in summer 2024.

As said before offer him to Nice while Radcliffe is still running things.

Nice part of the World and he's got a better chance of getting back in France squad playing for them than bench warming here.

Last summer they signed all of Schmeichel, Pepe, Aaron Ramsey and Ross Barkley so they could afford his wages no problem given what that lot were earning for premier league clubs.

Would love to get him off the books and sign someone like Tierney as then we'd have two attacking LBs who we could rotate if we were in europe. Tierney is probably on lower wages at Arsenal than what we're paying Digne aswell as saw Ramsdale is getting a new deal and he's "only" on 60k a week.

20 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It actually says he is willing to listen to offers.

But only from CL clubs.

Setting the bar high.

Oh my Lucas! 

I want to moonwalk son, but life's a shithouse.

• Like 1

I see Collymore is suggesting Digne to Newcastle as a viable alternative to Tierney. What happened with Targett there? He seems to have dropped off the radar, and it would be a kick in the teeth to be replaced by Digne again. 😂

SVC suggests Digne as a decent option for Newcastle United

Stan Collymore, has suggested who Howe might want to bring in if he isn’t able to get a deal for Kieran Tierney over the line.

“In terms of who Eddie Howe should target if he misses out on Tierney, I think Lucas Digne would be a great alternative,” Collymore said in an exclusive interview.

“Alex Moreno has come in at Aston Villa and has made himself Unai Emery’s first-choice left-back so you would think Digne could be a player that moves on in the summer.

“He’s a senior international that has represented France on 46 occasions so he has a wealth of experience. He’s also played for some big clubs and isn’t yet 30 years old so he could be a decent option for the Magpies to consider. Howe would certainly improve him too.”

Given Digne’s experience at Paris Saint-Germain, Roma and Barcelona, the Frenchman could be a solid addition for a club that is clearly going places.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, NeilS said:

I see Collymore is suggesting Digne to Newcastle as a viable alternative to Tierney. What happened with Targett there? He seems to have dropped off the radar, and it would be a kick in the teeth to be replaced by Digne again. 😂

Stan Collymore, has suggested who Howe might want to bring in if he isn’t able to get a deal for Kieran Tierney over the line.

“In terms of who Eddie Howe should target if he misses out on Tierney, I think Lucas Digne would be a great alternative,” Collymore said in an exclusive interview.

“Alex Moreno has come in at Aston Villa and has made himself Unai Emery’s first-choice left-back so you would think Digne could be a player that moves on in the summer.

“He’s a senior international that has represented France on 46 occasions so he has a wealth of experience. He’s also played for some big clubs and isn’t yet 30 years old so he could be a decent option for the Magpies to consider. Howe would certainly improve him too.”

Given Digne’s experience at Paris Saint-Germain, Roma and Barcelona, the Frenchman could be a solid addition for a club that is clearly going places.

Always rated Stan Collymore, me

• Haha 3

Lots of players seem to come out with this, “only CL clubs” line. However I think that for lots of players coming from abroad, the PL Is a bigger draw. Yes a PL team in the CL is tops but I think being established in the PL and pushing upwards makes us a pretty big draw right now. 

17 hours ago, NeilS said:

I think the funniest part is Newcastle pay Targett £100k a week!

They’re in a worse situation than we are with Digne (chuckles under his breath)

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Lots of players seem to come out with this, “only CL clubs” line. However I think that for lots of players coming from abroad, the PL Is a bigger draw. Yes a PL team in the CL is tops but I think being established in the PL and pushing upwards makes us a pretty big draw right now. 

Lots of players agents, come out with CL as it’s more money 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â