Lucas Digne

villan-scott

If Gerrard believes he is the correct one, I say go for it!

More hesitant on Digne than Coutinho, but tbh it also sends a clear signal for others that we are the real deal. Which can help future convincing future signings. Does Digne become an success? I hope so, but I can also see many reasons for this to be risky.

Still, at the moment I am all in on the train. Lets roll with this shit, its no matter what we disagree on an exciting time to be a Villa fan!

Players are now playing at the top level well into their thirties. However posters on VT seem to believe that 28 is old the wheelchair awaits players who reach 30. The argument that SG isn’t planning for the future because he’s added a couple of near geriatrics at 28 and 29, when our squad’s average age is one of the youngest in the PL is laughable. All good squads have an element of balance, whether that be in levels of experience or styles of play. 

We need better players right now, not just potential, we’ve got loads of that. If in a couple of years we’re still a mid table team with loads of potential but not competitive towards the top end of the league, in the later stages of domestic competitions or playing in Europe, all those potential stars will start to leave for clubs who are. In that situation we won’t have to worry about losing SG to his former employers, NSWE will have shaken his hand on the way out of the door with a payoff. 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Targett has a goal and 2 assists in the league this seaeand Digne has none. Targett has played a couple of games more

Don’t say that, I’m trying to convince myself this signing is good value.

Maybe he would have had more assists if DCL had been fit?

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cissokho, Richardson, Bennett, Luna all seemed to be first choice for a while. If not including first choice I wont include Nicky Shorey then 

It has been a stellar position for us 🤮🤮🤮

Bit harsh on Bennett as he was a youngster, but the other 3 I'm sure would have been better in the championship than Taylor (as rubbish as they were in the prem).

In the championship Taylor would regularly get turned inside out, continuously give the ball away, and had no idea what to do with the ball across the half way line. Truly diabolical. 

14 minutes ago, Nigel said:

That would be an acquisition rather than business. 

I know it sounds pedantic but its this bit I'm struggling with in this deal. I cant help feeling that we are heading down a path that could prove financially problematic 

Me too.  Let's say Gerrard either fails to improve results and gets sacked, or does well then "a huge job he couldn't refuse" comes along.  We have already spent more than we can afford (year on year losses at the club), owners get bored as they've given it their best go backing Gerrard and we are firmly in the s**t. 

If we stick to highly rated youngsters, the wages are lower and the resale is higher - it does feel safer.  But then no-one knows the owners intentions and I have no reason to question their motivation or judgement at this point....

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Could see Targett wanting to leave if he doesn’t get first team football, which is a real shame. When you’re at our level it’s hard to have two good-enough players in one position. 

I'd like him to stick around as a decent squad player but if he does want to go then that will be that. I'm sure we'll get back what we paid for him anyhow. 

24 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I know it sounds pedantic but its this bit I'm struggling with in this deal. I cant help feeling that we are heading down a path that could prove financially problematic 

Its Bruce or MON style business but with admittedly better players but for me it absolutely lacks creativity this window

Lange has been pushed aside for me by Purslow and has had our pokicy completely changed

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cissokho, Richardson, Bennett, Luna all seemed to be first choice for a while. If not including first choice I wont include Nicky Shorey then 

It has been a stellar position for us 🤮🤮🤮

Both RB and LB has been a truly terrible position for us over the years. Even when we were finishing 6th under O'Neill our FBs were Cuellar and Luke Young, both average and not even playing in their natural positions. I think Mellberg was even put at RB before that because our RBs were so sh**. 

The one quality LB we did sign was Amavi who really should have gone on to be a top FB. Injury and playing for a really sh** Villa team screwed up his career. 

Digne will be the first FB we have signed that I am genuinely excited about. So many poor buys in this position over the years. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Only Robertson and Trent have created more chances than Digne in the whole of 2021.

Not the stats I read. He was behind Luke Shaw and Matt Ritchie for fullbacks though not sure if FotMob is a good site

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Targett has a goal and 2 assists in the league this seaeand Digne has none. Targett has played a couple of games more

Digne has been asked to play 100% defensive under Benitez. He got 7 assists in 30 games last season under Ancelotti, he got 7 in 35 the year before. 

He is in the top 3 for shot creating actions in the last 18 months. Only Trent and Robertson have more. He's a great attacking player

28 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I don’t think you sound pedantic, might just be the cynicism of the latter Lerner years and Xia lingering but I have the exact same concerns. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â