Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Coutinho is one of the most talented ball players that I've seen, so why am I worried about the prospect of us signing him?

I think most of us have agreed that Villa are too soft in and around the midfield. We let ourselves down physically on a regular basis. We aren't strong enough, we don't press for 90 minutes. We don't rough up the opposition because we're too nice and too lightweight. We get beaten by lesser teams like Brentford because they get at us physically all match.

Coutinho would be a marketing coup, but would he be the answer to our glaring shortcomings? He would add creativity which we also lack, but wouldn't that come at a price of reducing further the ability of our midfield to compete physically.

Midfielders

Buendia 172 cms (5'7) - no pace

Coutinho 172 cms -no pace 

Luiz 175 cms - no pace 

McGinn 178 cms - average pace 

Ramsey 180 cms - reasonably pacy 

Sanson 180cms - average pace

Traore 180 cms -average pace

Chukwuemeka 182 cms- no real pace

El ghazi 189 cms - pacy

Strikers

Ings 178 cms no real pace

Watkins 180cms - pacy

If we loan Coutinho it would obviously be to play him, so our starting midfield would be more talented but even smaller, physically weaker, fairly slow and not great at tracking back.

I'm excited by the prospect of someone as talented as Coutinho playing for Villa and if SG can also get his 2/3 pinpointed transfer targets to sign that may well add some bite and support in and around the midfield. If he can't make those signings then I wonder how effective Coutinho can be.

Are we a counter attack team?! If not, then pace isn't anywhere near as important as technical ability. 

Edited by Made In Aston

My concern is he shone in what was an excellent Liverpool side with none of the weaknesses our current side have. I am in no way doubting his natural talents but what worries me is that our weaknesses may expose his and we won't get the Liverpool version 

Quote from BBC feed of the pre match press conference

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/59879205

Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard has been up in front of the media this afternoon. 

He was happy to talk glowingly about Philippe Coutinho, who he played with at Liverpool but less forthcoming on rumours that the Brazilian could be heading to Villa Park.

"He won two leagues, two league titles for Barcelona. He won two Copa del Reys," Gerrard said. 

"I think if you look at his Wiki page I think you will see a serial winner wherever he has been so I have nothing but positive things to say about the player. 

"He's a friend of mine - so if I'm asked the questions I can speak for as long as you want but if you're trying to link it to any speculation or looking to catch me out you're in for a long afternoon."

That doesn’t sound like a denial of interest to me…

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I thought about this and Coutinho has Barca over the barrel. He knows they need to move him on this window to register Torres. So he can say, no chance I'm joining Newcastle the year of a World Cup. He's Brazilian, playing in the World Cup probably means absolutely everything to him. With Gerrard and Villa he has the most assurances of regular game time, a manager he knows very well and the best football league in the world in which to play. The system is perfect for him too a free roaming 10 behind a CF with the work rate of Watkins. 

I think because so much power is in Coutinho's hands, it helps Villa the most if he wants to come here.

All makes lovely rational sense :):):thumb:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

Inter sold him Liverpool for relative peanuts as he wasn't reaching the levels they thought he could as I recall?

Bayern I don't know much about was it about a 6 month loan?

£12m he was young at the time had been on loan at Espanyol and done well there , he scored 12 goals for Bayern in around roughly 33 appearances 

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

Quote from BBC feed of the pre match press conference

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/59879205

That doesn’t sound like a denial of interest to me…

It doesn’t, does it. In fact, it reads like the opposite. He’s happy to talk for as long as you want about Coutinho as a friend. But if you’re asking about the interest from Villa, then you’re in for “a long afternoon”. 

It wouldn’t be a long afternoon if there was no substance. Ergo there’s definite interest and lots of detail to go into :detect:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

My concern is he shone in what was an excellent Liverpool side with none of the weaknesses our current side have. I am in no way doubting his natural talents but what worries me is that our weaknesses may expose his and we won't get the Liverpool version 

I think Gerrard will make us harder to beat by being compact and disciplined.  So, it makes sense to get the very highest quality up top to make sure we convert the small amount of chances we create maybe

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

£12m he was young at the time had been on loan at Espanyol and done well there , he scored 12 goals for Bayern in around roughly 33 appearances 

Coutinho doesn't know how lucky he got going to Liverpool, he would probably be playing in Moldova now if he played under Lambert 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Coutinho is one of the most talented ball players that I've seen, so why am I worried about the prospect of us signing him?

I think most of us have agreed that Villa are too soft in and around the midfield. We let ourselves down physically on a regular basis. We aren't strong enough, we don't press for 90 minutes. We don't rough up the opposition because we're too nice and too lightweight. We get beaten by lesser teams like Brentford because they get at us physically all match.

Coutinho would be a marketing coup, but would he be the answer to our glaring shortcomings? He would add creativity which we also lack, but wouldn't that come at a price of reducing further the ability of our midfield to compete physically.

Midfielders

Buendia 172 cms (5'7) - no pace

Coutinho 172 cms -no pace 

Luiz 175 cms - no pace 

McGinn 178 cms - average pace 

Ramsey 180 cms - reasonably pacy 

Sanson 180cms - average pace

Traore 180 cms -average pace

Chukwuemeka 182 cms- no real pace

El ghazi 189 cms - pacy

Strikers

Ings 178 cms no real pace

Watkins 180cms - pacy

If we loan Coutinho it would obviously be to play him, so our starting midfield would be more talented but even smaller, physically weaker, fairly slow and not great at tracking back.

I'm excited by the prospect of someone as talented as Coutinho playing for Villa and if SG can also get his 2/3 pinpointed transfer targets to sign that may well add some bite and support in and around the midfield. If he can't make those signings then I wonder how effective Coutinho can be.

You forget to mention that Leon Bailey is faster then a speeding bullet.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â