Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

5 minutes ago, sne said:

If he goes there I imagine it'll be as much about how much money they'd be willing to offer him for his next contract if there is a mandatory purchase clause. No club will give him £380k/w again but I bet they'll offer a bigger salary than we would.

I'd be more interested in what his salary would be with Villa if we agree to the buy option. We offered Jack 200k per week to stay last summer. So I assume we can afford that for next 2 1/2 seasons. I'd be fine us agreeing that, 200k per week on a 6 month loan with option to buy and a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd year. 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m fully on board with signing Coutinho but I reserve the right to come to my senses and see how poor he is if he signs for someone else. In which case it will become blindingly obvious why he was never good enough for us and why we weren’t interested in signing an expensive, washed up flop. 

Exactly! It's common sense really. :D 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't get how this works on a financial sense

What are we expecting from PC in between now and the end of the season ? - Do we really think PC and one or two other additions can transform us from a side the couldn't beat Brentford  to a side that gets a European place ? - thus some financial reward ?

Or do we fear a slide down the table without PC ? - so much so that his arrival finances itself by securing another year of PL TV Money ?

Neither of the above scenarios seem feasible to me ?

So does PC generate that much coverage \ exposure that we reap commercial benefits to offset his massive wages  ?

The only thing that would make footballing sense is if he joins permanently, and makes a major contribution this + next season. Obviously thats going to include a sizeable fee and wages - and would probably were stuck with him should he flop. Massive risk IMO.

If it costs us £6m in wages, which is about £250k a week (over 24 weeks) which allegedly we won't go that high, it's not a bad deal. I assume Barca won't be asking for much of a fee as they are desperate to get the wages off the book so they can register Ferran Torres.

We spent £8-10m on Ally Samatta, Barkley with fee and wages reportedly cost us around £10-15m. I assume Drinkwater was around £5-6m too. Tuanzebe was I believe £5m had he stayed for the full season.

Coutinho may well be past it, hopefully not and he's only 29 so I doubt he is. £6m (roughly) isn't a bad deal.

If he finds form and we have an option to buy him for the next 3-4 years, it'll be the best signing we've made in many fans' life time.

I'm not convinced he achieves what he's capable of either but I can understand that it's potential reward is huge and the financials probably aren't too bad for 5 months.

Just now, CVByrne said:

I'd be more interested in what his salary would be with Villa if we agree to the buy option. We offered Jack 200k per week to stay last summer. So I assume we can afford that for next 2 1/2 seasons. I'd be fine us agreeing that, 200k per week on a 6 month loan with option to buy and a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd year. 

Yeah he'll probably have to settle for halving his salary if he want's a move. Question is if he want's to play enough to walk away from his final year at Barca or if they want him out bad enough to buy him out of do a deal like they did with Suarez to Atletico.

If Gerrard manged to get him back playing his best, we exercised the option to buy him then. The draw that would be for us in the summer for other talent. We also have the new sponsorship deals to negotiate too. Gerrard and Coutinho at the club. Mings an England international all with the World Cup later this year. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

The only thing that would make footballing sense is if he joins permanently, and makes a major contribution this + next season. Obviously thats going to include a sizeable fee and wages - and would probably were stuck with him should he flop. Massive risk IMO.

Which is why it makes sense to initially sign him on loan with an option to buy. Which is what’s being reported by most outlets. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sne said:

And if he signs for Newcastle some will say he wasn't any good anyway and that they are spending silly money on a over the hill has-been. Bit like before he was linked to us in the first place.

They arent buying Coutinho. His missus will not agree a move to the Arctic Circle. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

If this happens and Gerrard can get the best out of him then he’s the closet thing in replacement to Jack we could imagine at our level.  

Never thought of it this way, I don't think I've missed Grealish as much as I thought I would.

Think the team is better without him 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well if your going to Gerrard pull as an argument for him signing - then you have to say there is a counter argument if he goes and joins Newcastle or AN Other.

To be fair... just money ain't it?

If it's Arsenal for example, you could see why as they are now finding their feet and are a traditional " Big Club ", London and all that as well.

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The wiz kid may also discover that Sky sold SkyBet a number of years ago and it is no longer run in conjunction with the broadcasting company

They sold the controlling share...its still very much in their interests to see it do well.

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

Never thought of it this way, I don't think I've missed Grealish as much as I thought I would.

Think the team is better without him 

We've been trash this season, better than the second half of last season but that was without Jack too. The first half of last season before Jack got injured and before Barkley gave up is the best football I've seen Villa okay probably in my adult memory

• Like 1

If it's right that Barca are insisting on a compulsory buy clause, then we're in the throws of making our first summer signing with a four month settling in period. I'm guessing this is what's keeping the suits busy right now, as there will have to be discussion about signing fees and realistic post-loan wages. It's that last part that exposes us to the likes of Newcastle no matter how much PC might want to come here initially - long term all parties will have to be feel it's viable.

1 minute ago, GrassyNoel said:

If it's right that Barca are insisting on a compulsory buy clause, then we're in the throws of making our first summer signing with a four month settling in period. I'm guessing this is what's keeping the suits busy right now, as there will have to be discussion about signing fees and realistic post-loan wages. It's that last part that exposes us to the likes of Newcastle no matter how much PC might want to come here initially - long term all parties will have to be feel it's viable.

I would imagine the obligation to buy is triggered by x appearances otherwise we'd just sign him now as no difference to us. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â