Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

14 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

people can make their own bias and agenda work for or against him

the truth is no one knows what will happen in the next in the chapter of Little Phil's Villa career or career in general (YET)

Yeah true no one knows, but if all of us only talked about things in which we knew were certain, then it wouldn't be the forum it is.

It would be very quiet and boring.

I do understand you're opinion, but saying people have bias or agendas in forming all opinions on PC is negating any point of debate.

For me it's this simple.

I was very excited at the loaning in of him, I was even more excited in a few of those early matches, so excited I considered buying a strip with his name on it for and exorbitant price and shipped for an equally exorbitant price.

The premature excitement quickly gave way to repeated poor performances where not only was he marked out of being effective he also showed poor touch and pass for a player of his so called ability.

My eyes tell me he's a busted flush as far as being a regular starter playing out matches, he has just gotten that little bit too old in the legs and he's not a huge man by any lengths. 

Yes I could be wrong, but I enjoy the difference of opinions and have no qualms saying I called something wrong.

If he's happy to come off the bench and we can shift so be it, but I think for parties involved moving him on is the best solution.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

I'm reserving judgement until he plays a few games in a Villa team which has tactical direction, not just a basic ineffective shape and an instruction to create "moments of magic" - he'll have the brain and mentality to find pockets of space, on top of the fact that in the first few games under UE we have been good at creating space. Chances are this is all in vain and he'll be gone by the summer but even if we can get him at 60-75% of what he used to be we'll have a hell of a lovely player

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Emery has moved to deny that Coutinho is available to leave the club as he retains that Coutinho could be a key player under his watch. "Coutinho had two or three training sessions when I arrived here," . "He trained very good, very good. He was very excited to try to show me and show us his best qualities.

"The injury was in a bad moment for everybody, for him, for the club, for the team. Now, he is training every day and I am seeing him really training well.

"I expect of him the best Coutinho possible. For him on Monday it is a special match playing against Liverpool and I think he is going to be in the squad. He is not ready to play 90 minutes, but I am looking forward to seeing him on the pitch, in the matches and with his quality he can help us a lot."

link

I’m not giving up on Phil 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I'm reserving judgement until he plays a few games in a Villa team which has tactical direction, not just a basic ineffective shape and an instruction to create "moments of magic" - he'll have the brain and mentality to find pockets of space, on top of the fact that in the first few games under UE we have been good at creating space. Chances are this is all in vain and he'll be gone by the summer but even if we can get him at 60-75% of what he used to be we'll have a hell of a lovely player

He was probably as disappointed as we were that SG morphed from great player to Paul Daniels. It sounds like Unai intends to give him a chance to recapture his old magic and not rely on a few cheap tricks. In the right environment he’ll hopefully be able to earn his corn. 

On 24/12/2022 at 04:07, Villan_of_oz said:

Yeah true no one knows, but if all of us only talked about things in which we knew were certain, then it wouldn't be the forum it is.

It would be very quiet and boring.

I do understand you're opinion, but saying people have bias or agendas in forming all opinions on PC is negating any point of debate.

For me it's this simple.

I was very excited at the loaning in of him, I was even more excited in a few of those early matches, so excited I considered buying a strip with his name on it for and exorbitant price and shipped for an equally exorbitant price.

The premature excitement quickly gave way to repeated poor performances where not only was he marked out of being effective he also showed poor touch and pass for a player of his so called ability.

My eyes tell me he's a busted flush as far as being a regular starter playing out matches, he has just gotten that little bit too old in the legs and he's not a huge man by any lengths. 

Yes I could be wrong, but I enjoy the difference of opinions and have no qualms saying I called something wrong.

If he's happy to come off the bench and we can shift so be it, but I think for parties involved moving him on is the best solution.

No issue with opinions on the player based on whatever you choose to read, see, believe. I personally thought he didn't do enough on loan to warrant being signed permanently and apart from a handful of games has been a let down, all be it he has shown he still has quality - just no consistency. He was never going to have the legs to be a high intensity battling midfielder, he is an attacker and a bit of a luxury when you are struggling, but if the team are playing well and show confidence he could be awesome for us.

The only reason I was posting was to say we don't know what Emery will do with him yet, how he will manage him and what the player will do under Emery because none of us have a time machine.

Some, (not all/many) people quote/get riled up about click bait puff pieces that state Emery hates Martinez and is desperate to sell Phil for pennies to teams in Brazil.

Debate is fine, but be nice if some posters balanced the hate, bile and keyboard bashing with a bit of balance rather than cherry picking the old favourites to dredge up to scream a point, and i've been guilty of this plenty of times, so not saying this from a point of 'being better' I get angry and carried away all the time.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Thanks 1

I actually feel a bit sorry for Coutinho. He has the weight of being a former legend on his shoulders. He obviously isn’t the world class player he used to be but he can offer something. If he can sort his brain out then he’s a player worth having. If not then he needs to be moved on. But the fans need to give him a chance tbh. If he can get his head down, train and get some confidence and shake off the “fall from grace” vibe, there’s a player there for sure. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Gave the ball to a Liverpool in near enough first pass under no pressure. Looked to the heavens and stood there.

He does it all the time. He'd rather give up than fight for it back to fix his mistake

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Need to gove him more than 20 mins under emery. Tough game to bring into 

For me he needs to starf against Stevenage get his mojo back

It was less than 10 minutes and the game was gone.

• Like 3

On 26/12/2022 at 19:48, rodders0223 said:

Gave the ball to a Liverpool in near enough first pass under no pressure. Looked to the heavens and stood there.

Its quite sad really.....I don't know the reason for his demise......but he is a shadow of the player we know he can be.

still probably the best footballer at the club.......but then, if it was all about that, and only that, we would be ok.

Â