Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Apparently he is on £380 K a week at Barca. Even if we just pay half his wages, he will be our top earner by 70 grand.  Surely another club will come in and offer to pay more like two thirds of his wage and he will go there instead regardless of the phone to Stevie. Money talks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As mainly a bit player though 

this is incorrect.

2017 - 2018 barcelona - 18 appearances, 16 of which starts

2018 - 2019 - 34 appearances, 22 starts

2019 - 2020 - bayern - 23 appearances, 15 starts

2020 - 2021 - 12 appearances, 8 starts (then got injured)

2021 - 2022 - 12 appearances, 5 starts

edit: these are league appearances, couldn't be bothered to check CL or domestic cup

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Apparently he is on £380 K a week at Barca. Even if we just pay half his wages, he will be our top earner by 70 grand.  Surely another club will come in and offer to pay more like two thirds of his wage and he will go there instead regardless of the phone to Stevie. Money talks.

Why would he care which team is paying Barcelona the biggest percentage of his wage? He gets his full salary from Barcelona anyway. 

Barcelona might try and tell him to chose a club which agreed to pay them a higher percentage but it’s up to the player where he wants to go. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Us willing to put in an option to buy to get the wages off their books for the long term might swing it.

Other clubs may be more than willing to pay£300k a week for 6 months but less likely to commit to doing anything in the summer?

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

This move is not about money though, it's about the player wanting the right project to get into the world cup squad - he will choose where he goes, not the parent club.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Why would he care which team is paying Barcelona the biggest percentage of his wage? He gets his full salary from Barcelona anyway. 

Barcelona might try and tell him to chose a club which agreed to pay them a higher percentage but it’s up to the player where he wants to go. 

Barca would favour the one which would lower their expenditure  as they are massively in debt, and no doubt his agent would get a sweetener.  This is a short term move for him so I doubt he cares that much which club it is, as long as he is playing regularly. 

I wouldn't buy  a Coutinho shirt just yet.

• Like 1

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Barca would favour the one which would lower their expenditure  as they are massively in debt, and no doubt his agent would get a sweetener.  This is a short term move for him so I doubt he cares that much which club it is, as long as he is playing regularly. 

I wouldn't buy  a Coutinho shirt just yet.

We will have to wait and see but if that article from Spain is correct and he has decided he wants to link up with Gerrard it doesn’t matter if a club like Newcastle promised Barcelona to give them a higher percentage of his wage, the final wage coming to Coutinho would be the same. 

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This move is not about money though, it's about the player wanting the right project to get into the world cup squad - he will choose where he goes, not the parent club.

Exactly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I have a feeling that he'll end up at an Arsenal or something.

I think that poor performance by Spurs last night will accelerate their interest. I don’t think this is as close as we’ve been led to believe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think that poor performance by Spurs last night will accelerate their interest. I don’t think this is as close as we’ve been led to believe.

Nor me - spurs or Arsenal would be my bet. Gerrard and regular playing time may swing it our way. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Reckon there is a lot riding on what happens after the loan. If Barca want a mandatory loan to buy - then PC has to think longer term about the club he goes to - in that scenario we lose out to anyone higher up than Arsenal/Spurs - but if its us Vs Arsenal/Spurs, then SG may just get us there.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned. But Coutinho is the 3rd most expensive football transfer of all time, behind Neymar and Mbappe, and we have people turning their nose up at this happening? 

He’s 29, hasn’t worked out as he would’ve hoped at Barca but they’ve been all over the place as a club the last few years. If it fails it’s only a loan, but this is a massive signing if it comes off, a massive statement of intent.

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

This does not fit in with the Sky mandate.

They’d much prefer him to go to a ‘bigger’ club

Not sure what you mean... 

Sky Sports being Sky Sports mention Liverpool and Arsenal before Villa and even then exceptionally dismissive of the Villa link, even though those links are from social media and the Villa link is from  "reputable" media with strong connections. 

Edited by cyrusr
added some clarity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sky saying our approach has only been tentative and we haven't 'gone in for Kill' as we are worried about a bidding war.

6 clubs interested. Wages an issue.

Annoyingly they are now saying we could only offer Grealish £150k a week to stay in the summer - at the time though they were desperate to push the narrative that we somehow managed to offer him the same £300k a week City did and that therefore money played no part in his decision...now the boot is on the other foot £150k is our max and there's no way we could go over that (which, is much more believable than us finding £300k a week down the back of the sofa)

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â