Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If that happens we tell Luiz' agent to F off and we transfer list him if he doesn't sign. That type of problem will always exist and it is just the numbers that differ. The club need to manage players expectations and salary demands and the club need to have the balls to refuse. We should pay player what we think they are worth paying. If they don't like it then we part company

Who would be of more benefit to us....

Coutinho until June or Doug until June 2026?

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is it better for FFP to sign a player on high wages and a low fee instead of a big fee upfront? I know the fee is paid in installments anyway. 

Makes no difference. It is down to the total cost of player + wages. A free signing on 10m a year for 4 years is the same impact as a 20m player on 5m a year for 4 years. However, if we go to sell the player then it makes a big difference as the profit on a free player would be substantially than the profit on a player we paid 20m for (assuming they were sold for the same price). More profit means more FFP scope to invest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

If the Internet existed in those days there would have been absolute meltdown at the prospect of signing McGrath.  And probably a lot of dissent about Merson too. 

You can add Peter Withe replacing Andy Gray to that list of total meltdowns too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Who would be of more benefit to us....

Coutinho until June or Doug until June 2026?

100% down to Gerrard to decide, it needs to be based on footballing reasons. But should it not be Coutinho till June plus 20m/25m from the sale of Doug to invest in a new player e.g. McKennie or keeping Doug till 2026

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Hasn't pretty much everything that Fabrizio Romano said about us the last few years been absolutely wrong? 

He broke that Smith got sacked about 3 days after the clubs official statement :D 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If he does join us. How many clubs can say the 3rd and 6th most expensive players ever played for their team inside of a year. 

PSG, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid.  We would be next

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pires

But he was 36/37 when he joined Villa. Coutinho is 29. I am sure there are many players of his stature aged 36+ that we could sign if we wanted to. The player being in his prime years makes a huge difference

I don't have a thing insightful and fresh to add to this convo, but I do think the man knows how to grow the occasional fine mustache. That's got to be worth a few mil, right? At least we'll look good trying to claw our way off the flypaper of mid-tableness. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

100% down to Gerrard to decide, it needs to be based on footballing reasons. But should it not be Coutinho till June plus 20m/25m from the sale of Doug to invest in a new player e.g. McKennie or keeping Doug till 2026

Yep, this one is on his shoulders big time.

Stunned we've found this guy and said this is the sustainable answer to our problems.

I'm excited.

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But he was 36/37 when he joined Villa. Coutinho is 29. I am sure there are many players of his stature aged 36+ that we could sign if we wanted to. The player being in his prime years makes a huge difference

That wasnt the question though was of a player with such a reputation ever signed. Pires had a bigger reputation, Schmeichel another one

Makes no difference. It is down to the total cost of player + wages. A free signing on 10m a year for 4 years is the same impact as a 20m player on 5m a year for 4 years. However, if we go to sell the player then it makes a big difference as the profit on a free player would be substantially than the profit on a player we paid 20m for (assuming they were sold for the same price). More profit means more FFP scope to invest

It would be the same profit, though?

Profit = transfer out fee - (transfer in fee + total wages)

not… transfer out fee - transfer in fee

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â