Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Oh ffs… I am sick to death of these loans…

Can we not shift senior players permanently? For any/decent fees?

How do we move them on when they return… just wait for contracts to expire? 🤦‍♂️

Ok, if they pay all his wages that’s a plus but still…

All the “talk” was of a permanent deal and decent fee beforehand…

Hope he smashes it there and they want to take him off our hands for good…

Edited by Jas10

What do we do with Sanson?

We were close to the same situation with Digne, Nice only wanted him on loan…

Berty went to Turkey (hopefully more involved, improved and contributing under Unai now).

At least we got rid of Davis and Nakamba but we received a pittance really… Wes… barely anything at all…

Hause… 🤦‍♂️

Go n smash it Phil n make yourself the star and face of the Qatari league! Just stay fit too!

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Oh ffs… I am sick to death of these loans…

Can we not shift senior players permanently? For any/decent fees?

How do we move them on when they return… just wait for contracts to expire? 🤦‍♂️

Hope he smashes it there and they want to take him off our hands for good…

We have sold players who weren't on massive wages (Ramsey, Archer, Nakamba) but as our Phil is on apparently 120 grand a week with 3 years left on his contract it was going to be  a tough ask in selling him.  Even if they pay only half his wages that is about 3 million of the wage bill. Which is more than qualifying for he Conference group stage.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We have sold players who weren't on massive wages (Ramsey, Archer, Nakamba) but as our Phil is on apparently 120 grand a week with 3 years left on his contract it was going to be  a tough ask in selling him.  Even if they pay only half his wages that is about 3 million of the wage bill. Which is more than qualifying for he Conference group stage.

Yeah, I understand… it’s just frustrating and annoying.

Hardly anyone wants our “for sale” players because we put them on stupidly expensive and long contracts… the kind of clubs that would be interested can’t really or usually afford anything like that…

We keep paying for stupidity and mistakes of the past…

Hopefully we’re a lot more intelligent and savvy going forwards…

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Hardly anyone wants our “for sale” players because we put them on stupidly expensive and long contracts… the kind of clubs that would be interested can’t really or usually afford anything like that…

We keep paying for stupidity and mistakes of the past…

Hopefully we’re a lot more intelligent and savvy going forwards…

I think Monchi will be much better in this regard.  Long-term planning and strategy around players who fit our team and ethos.

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Qatar is one of the richest countries in the world, so you would think the money flows into sport as well. They have money to burn and can afford his wages and transfer fee no problem. A potential 2 year loan just seems bizarre. 

28 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Another pointless loan.

We really have wasted so much money.

What was pointless was signing him when we had him on loan and he didn't do well. Gerrard should have been sacked at the end of that season, instead he was allowed to waste money on poor transfers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Another pointless loan.

We really haven't in the grand scheme of things. 

Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have £75m + signings on 250k p/w that they cannot get rid of. That's really wasting money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Another pointless loan.

It's really not pointless. It takes some of his wage burden off us, and it gives him playing time. Better than being saddled with his full wages and an injured player who won't get much playing time when healthy.

As for a waste of money, you're mostly right. There were a number of posters on here who took flak for criticizing the signing at the time for being too extravagant and risky for a declining, aging player.

As it turns out it was extravagant and risky and for those reasons. However...would Digne and Kamara have signed for us if Phil hadn't? And same for our current new signings...did the prospect of playing with Coutinho make a difference in their considerations? Hard to say, but it surely did not hurt.

Anyway, it's all a moot point now. The critical thing now is to find someone to help with wages, and we've done that. 

Edited by maqroll

23 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

We really haven't in the grand scheme of things. 

Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have £75m + signings on 250k p/w that they cannot get rid of. That's really wasting money.

Yeah I think it’s exaggerated how much we’ve wasted.

And while there has been some definite bad signings where we’ve spent a lot for little in return, I reckon such signings have been more than offset by the improved values of Martinez, Konsa, Luiz, etc etc.

It’s not like we’re Wolves who were seventh a couple of times, spent hundreds of millions since then and have gone backwards. We’ve broadly speaking kept improving.

I have this sense there are some that have this idea we’ll eventually reach a point when we’ll ONLY make good signings. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

5 goals and 3 assists in 15 starts. He was good during his loan, that's why we bought him. 

It hasn't worked out afterwards because he's permacrocked. 

Don't rewrite history to suit your agenda. 

Which makes his decline since then even more disappointing.  It was a luxury signing but it wasn't a ridiculous signing given his first 6 months. His salary and 4 year contract were probably mistakes, if he was a 2 or 3 year contract it would be easier to shift by now.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah I think it’s exaggerated how much we’ve wasted.

And while there has been some definite bad signings where we’ve spent a lot for little in return, I reckon such signings have been more than offset by the improved values of Martinez, Konsa, Luiz, etc etc.

It’s not like we’re Wolves who were seventh a couple of times, spent hundreds of millions since then and have gone backwards. We’ve broadly speaking kept improving.

I have this sense there are some that have this idea we’ll eventually reach a point when we’ll ONLY make good signings. 

Agree with most of that mate. 

But no club has ever reached a level where they only make good signings. It's not possible. All we can do is hope that the ratio is as strong as it can be towards good rather than bad. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â