Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

14 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

If Coutinho stays, which I'm fairly sure he will, he'll be very important and very good for us this season.

What have you seen from Coutinho that makes you think his gonna be very important and very good this season? He plays a few games and then gets injured for 3 months. Too injury prone for us especially for where Villa want to be. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gerrard wants him, in fact I’d be surprised if he didn’t go after him.  The Saudi league want stars, bringing in Gerrard hoping to attract stars even though very few will go.  Coutinho despite his struggles has a big profile which they’ll love and easy for Gerrard to attract.  Seems an easy transfer.  Just depends if Emery wants to keep Coutinho and that is the unknown.

I agree, the biggest question is whether Emery wants to keep him.

But I also think Gerrard wouldn’t be doing the club any favours after being sacked, Coutinho knows he can’t coach, so would have to be more interested in a pay day than playing for something. And while I agree Coutinho had a big profile, think it has diminished the last few years.

18 minutes ago, Awol said:

We’d all like to think so, but if the option was there to recover 75-80% of his fee I’d definitely sell and reinvest that money. 

Oh, I would too mate. The clamour to sell him and write (right?) him off though is premature in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, RichW said:

What have you seen from Coutinho that makes you think his gonna be very important and very good this season? He plays a few games and then gets injured for 3 months. Too injury prone for us especially for where Villa want to be. 

He's played very well for us, sporadically.

Under Gerrard Mings, McGinn and Watkins to name but three were emotionally shot. Abject performances and fans wanted them out. Coutinho was no different. Yet, no one should be judged when managed by that charlatan. 

Under Emery, he played well when on the pitch. He's been troubled by injuries but that happens sometimes. Managed correctly he could be very good. "Could".

Look at what Emery has got from McGinn, imagine he did the same with Coutinho.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

If Coutinho stays, which I'm fairly sure he will, he'll be very important and very good for us this season.

40 minutes ago, Awol said:

We’d all like to think so, but if the option was there to recover 75-80% of his fee I’d definitely sell and reinvest that money. 

this is a scenario where both answers are correct. i think he'll feature regularly if he stays, and will probably do well. but if we get a suitable offer we'd let him go. that probably applies to the likes of dendoncker too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

this is a scenario where both answers are correct. i think he'll feature regularly if he stays, and will probably do well. but if we get a suitable offer we'd let him go. that probably applies to the likes of dendoncker too

He won't be for enough to pay regularly. That's the main problem. 

Just now, Zatman said:

Issue is Coutinho is physically finished. He can't move, watch his Liverpool highlights compared to Villa performances. That dynamism doesn't come back at 31

I would let him go for free to Saudi if it got his wages off the book

He didn't look physically finished when he played for Emery. Perhaps his role will change from his Liverpool time?

It's all conjecture, just strange the statements of fact that he's finished, etc, when its plainly not fact or proven.

36 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

he's also posting on his insta the work he's doing with his personal trainer over the last few days and looks in good shape.

i suspect there's an element of guilt by association with gerrard/purslow for some. people see coutinho and see those two. i'm gonna stick my neck out and say that if smith had signed him there wouldn't be so much criticism

Maybe some truth in that, but then again I look at the players we want to bring in and wonder where he would fit - even with lots of rotation? 

19 minutes ago, Awol said:

Maybe some truth in that, but then again I look at the players we want to bring in and wonder where he would fit - even with lots of rotation? 

Key part of this statement being "want to". They're not in the door yet and not many concrete links about. Agree if we acquire 2 or 3 top forward players he'll struggle to break into the team but based on current squad I'd have a fit coutinho over Bailey or Bert 

• Like 1

If there’s genuine interest and we can at least recoup his fee, it’s too good an opportunity to turn down… we can put those finances to better use on a younger player who can stay fit, contribute more and have more longevity.

Phil is at the tail end of his career and can’t stay fit, he’s lost a lot in terms of energy, stamina and speed (aswell as his shooting boots). 

It’s possible we could see him improve (to what extent? For how long?), but if there’s a chance to sell him for a decent price, we’d be foolish to turn it down imo. We might not get another chance…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

He's played very well for us, sporadically.

Under Gerrard Mings, McGinn and Watkins to name but three were emotionally shot. Abject performances and fans wanted them out. Coutinho was no different. Yet, no one should be judged when managed by that charlatan. 

Under Emery, he played well when on the pitch. He's been troubled by injuries but that happens sometimes. Managed correctly he could be very good. "Could".

Look at what Emery has got from McGinn, imagine he did the same with Coutinho.

Mings, Mcginn and Watkins have rarely been injured under Emery. Not sure there's a comparison there unfortunately.

Players get injured I get that, but Coutinho is not sometimes injured - his constantly injured. He will probably look good for a few games off the bench under Emery, people will be asking for him to start and then he will get injured for 3 months. Wouldn't be so bad if he was only a low/middle of the range wages but the fact his one of our highest earners and can't stay fit is a problem for us. Villa are not really in a position commercially to have players earning 125k a week not being available. 

5 hours ago, RichW said:

He used to be good 7 years ago.

Â