Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

I think the argument is less " should we sign him " and more should he be starting ahead of Buendia.

On current form? NO

Having said that, if anyone had told us a couple of years ago that we'd be debating whether to start Buendia or Coutinho we'd tell them to lay off the shrooms.

I'm hoping SG is just giving him extra game time so he feels " loved " and gets his confidence and flow back.

I personally don't think there are any questions marks over Buendia from the Management and hierarchy at all.

Similarly to how even Bailey was starting over him, nothing to do with us thinking Bailey is in better form than Buendia.

( Bare in mind, both Coutinho and Bailey have had a rough time albeit in different scenarios and time frames, and probably lack a bit of belief even though the quality is there )

I reckon we know Emi is more than capable here.

I think it's all attempts at strategic man management and asset preserving, all be it at a cost to the team IMO.

It's a slippery slope though.

From next season onwards, it should be whoever is in better form, or both.

I think an outstanding defensive spine will allow them all to flourish. Hopefully we will have more games to play too.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

I am still failing to see why we should spend a fortune on this guy's wages at the expense of Emi Buendia and potentially younger, hungrier players that might break through for us.

Bar a couple of good performances at the start of his loan with us, has he been great? Not really.

I'm extremely hesitant for obvious reasons to draw any comparison between the two, but the fact remains that even Ross Barkley made an immediate initial impact when he arrived here, before petering out into nothing. We could have signed him permanently too, but Smith and Purslow and Lange looked at the overall picture and rightly determined that it wasn't nearly worth it.

What's different here? That him & Gerrard are mates? That other clubs are sniffing? 

It's a no for me tbh. Clearly a tidy player, looked magnificent once upon a time, will never hit those heights again. Let's get real, even if he had it in him, he surely isn't going to do it at Villa.

• Like 1

He got involved more. Was dropping in early and trying to be that link man. Few nice touches but again I don't think he impacted the game I'm not sure he made a single key pass.

If he starts over Emi again on Saturday questions should be asked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

He got involved more. Was dropping in early and trying to be that link man. Few nice touches but again I don't think he impacted the game I'm not sure he made a single key pass.

If he starts over Emi again on Saturday questions should be asked.

Recently, i think Coutinho is making the same mistakes Grealish used to make early on.

By that i mean, he realises a few players arent at his level, and he wants to drop too deep to try and impact the game/pick up the ball, rather than staying forward a bit and trying to impact the game where it matters.

Hopefully, if we do sign him, and we sign some more players who are more capable on the ball, we will see the best of him.

Guy was really good today in the first half when we had the ball, and just about equally off it. Yes, few errors leading to turnover in possession. Just as many moments of brilliance.

I'd love to have him here beyond this season.

• Like 2

It's a confusing one. Conventional logic suggests that players that are world class should raise the level of performance of players around them. Therefore should be expect Coutinho to improve the midfield around him? 

Or is it that we won't see the best of him until the rest of the midfield is sorted to get the balance right? 

I genuinely don't know what to think which on the face of it seems ridiculous!

You can be the most technical player in the world if you aren't impacting games you're not worth anything.

He's not impacting games and hasn't for a fair old time.

Looks he's Brazilian. He was a world class player. He can do things we've not seen since Merson. He's exciting and there's always the chance he MAY do something spectacular.

He's not impacting games.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The flick over Alexander-Arnold was spectacular and the shot was close....if he'd stuck that away it would have been goal of the century!

It would have been but also I'd have hoped for more composure from someone like him. Watch that chance again and he's got ings and Watkins in the box with one defender between them. 

I didnt thinknhe was that bad to be honest.  Played some nice through balls through. There was one to ollie but he made a complete mess of it.

Im still in the sign him up camp definitely 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Gutterpress suggesting Newcastle want to scupper our deal and sign him.

I think he’d rather sign for us, with Gerrard in charge. 

Just them trying to generate clicks.

• Like 1

Even if he ends up not being the main man, what a player to have on your books. Prospective transfer targets will see such a high profile player at the club. That in itself probably pays for the transfer, it'll help grow the club's profile immensely. Way more than signing Buendia, Ings and Bailey combined, even if their improvement of Villa on the pitch is more significant.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Well I for one will be chuffed if we wrap this signing up soon. I’m sure we can find a way play him and Buendia together ( especially at home). 

Major profile signing and will no doubt help to attract other big names over the summer. 

Imagine watching the World Cup later in the year knowing that the Brazil no10 is ours. It’s just a dream come true.  

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Even if he ends up not being the main man, what a player to have on your books. Prospective transfer targets will see such a high profile player at the club. That in itself probably pays for the transfer, it'll help grow the club's profile immensely. Way more than signing Buendia, Ings and Bailey combined, even if their improvement of Villa on the pitch is more significant.

In a way it's similar to when Man City signed Robinho, you could say that signing changed everything for them.

• Like 1

Â