Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

17 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I expected nothing less from The Guardian. As a Manchester paper rehomed in London they seem to have an institutional disregard for anything from Birmingham. It seems to infuse their entire output. Jay Rayner is an obvious exception to this (he's always championing Brum) and there are others, but in general, any output about Villa or the city seems to have an undercurrent of smugness and distaste.

I thought their article on Mings and Gerrard  was decent. Granted it was mostly Mings quotes but it didn’t seem to have an undercurrent of smugness or distaste.

21 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think he was a luxury player in the second half, the way he just jogged back when we lost the ball before their second goal was not good to see. 

I think Declan Rice negated him.....but quite a few players was doing that.

"Luxury players are us"

19 hours ago, messi11 said:

Might be a unpopular opinion on here but what a pointless signing!, IF we don't sign him in the summer. IF we don't sign him in the summer this move was only good for Coutinho and NOT Aston Villa. I mean we cant get in Europe now, even a 8th place position is looking impossible with that massive gap. Coutinho gain out of this is a guaranteed football week in week out to get in the Brazil World Cup squad, even if he's off form or half dead he starting for Villa! 

IF we don't sign him in the summer this has affected Buendia, Bailey, Traore, Sanson and Chukwuemeka playing time. Maybe even could make them become unhappy and some seek moves other clubs, also we could use these last 15 PL games as a trial for next season, give the names I mentioned above playing time to settle in to the starting 11 and kick on for next season. but NO, because Coutinho is taking a place up (Only for him to potentially not be here next season) 

We cant get Europe, our season is dead. 
Whats Villa gains in this? Please tell me. 

Given that we earn a couple of million more per finishing place in the table, he will earn us some serious money if he pushes us from a hypothetical 13th to a hypothetical 9th. Add to that he has increased our profile globally and if he does leave with a revived career it can only do our reputation good amongst other internationals, it won’t have been bad business.

I do see your point though (even without the bolds).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, messi11 said:

Might be a unpopular opinion on here but what a pointless signing!, IF we don't sign him in the summer. IF we don't sign him in the summer this move was only good for Coutinho and NOT Aston Villa. I mean we cant get in Europe now, even a 8th place position is looking impossible with that massive gap. Coutinho gain out of this is a guaranteed football week in week out to get in the Brazil World Cup squad, even if he's off form or half dead he starting for Villa! 

IF we don't sign him in the summer this has affected Buendia, Bailey, Traore, Sanson and Chukwuemeka playing time. Maybe even could make them become unhappy and some seek moves other clubs, also we could use these last 15 PL games as a trial for next season, give the names I mentioned above playing time to settle in to the starting 11 and kick on for next season. but NO, because Coutinho is taking a place up (Only for him to potentially not be here next season) 

We cant get Europe, our season is dead. 
Whats Villa gains in this? Please tell me. 

What if Putin nukes us?

What if an asteroid destroys the earth?

Its all pointless then! :) 

Football is entertainment and Coutinho is entertaining. I'd rather have 20 games of him as opposed to Traore or Sanson, and if they want to leave, they can be replaced. Fans will remember Coutinho for a lot longer than a load of our other players. How many other times will Villa have a chance to have a player of that calibre in the team? Hopefully he signs but if he doesn't, then so be it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

What article was this?

Just after Gerrard joined. Mings talked about his frustration with being benched and what was like when Gerrard came in.

Tyrone Mings: ‘Steven Gerrard is pushing us to limits we didn’t know we could go to’

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/08/tyrone-mings-aston-villa-steven-gerrard-pushing-us

On 13/03/2022 at 08:36, Delphinho123 said:

Very strange article. I think that does a massive disservice to both Coutinho and Villa. 

Journalism today, is more opinionated than ever.

Certain sources are as predictable as night & day......Who wants to know what a journo with an agenda thinks who's probably a fan of Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal, etc.....and is miffed that such a great player has landed in Birmingham....You would hope jealousy would be confined to the bar, not journo's using their influence and priviledge to take it in to print.

Its kinda novel these days to make your own mind up from unbiased reporting.....where has the days of Hugh McIlvanney gone?....where football journalism, was an art......and a priviledge to read.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

Journalism today, is more opinionated than ever.

Certain sources are as predictable as night & day......Who wants to know what a journo with an agenda thinks who's probably a fan of Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal, etc.....and is miffed that such a great player has landed in Birmingham....You would hope jealousy would be confined to the bar, not journo's using their influence and priviledge to take it in to print.

Its kinda novel these days to make your own mind up from unbiased reporting.....where has the days of Hugh McIlvanney gone?....where football journalism, was an art......and a priviledge to read.

Spot on.

I keep getting notifications on my phone about the Coutinho deal. They all seem to link to the Birmingham Mail which I refuse to click. I assume nothing has actually happened and it's just clickbait garbage?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I keep getting notifications on my phone about the Coutinho deal. They all seem to link to the Birmingham Mail which I refuse to click. I assume nothing has actually happened and it's just clickbait garbage?

He signed for Spurs last night but Arsenal are contesting as they had a pre contract agreed and signed so the player is suspended indefinitely until it is sorted (but with the caveat we keep paying 120% of his Barcelona wages until resolution) which is expected sometime in the fall of 2024  

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

They seem to be churning out article after article with the same old quotes and copy completely unrelated to the headline - so yeah, the usual rubbish

32 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Looking around on twitter apparently that ThierryEnric14 is hardly a reliable source. Still think the club will think its too early anyways. With all the Rodrigo Bentancur stuff that happened, i'm wary of believing what the foreign media say anyways. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â