Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

It’s not 2013 anymore 

Even in 2022 they're putting up better numbers than Ings and Watkins 

Thats not to say I think we should buy players like them but they're still top level players, admittedly on the way down now, but still at a level well above the majority of other players. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Absolutely. For clubs creating how many more chances though? I reckon both of them would compare well on goals with Ronaldo in the Man United team, and even if they fell a little short, the team would be much better off. The bloke does **** all for most of the game. Haven't seen Suarez in action, but I wouldn't want 2022 Ronaldo anywhere near our first 11.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Thats not to say I think we should buy players like them but they're still top level players, admittedly on the way down now, but still at a level well above the majority of other players. 

I assume that you’re talking about this season because in the year 2022 neither of them have more league goals than Ings or Watkins. Also they are playing in better teams.

Anyway, I still wouldn’t take either of them. Their legs are gone and there’s no going back once that happens. If we’re serious about this pressing style high up the pitch then from what I’ve seen this season Ronaldo would be the last player to buy. And Suarez is also feeling the effects of Father Time. 

20 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:
1 hour ago, dounavilla said:

you wouldn't want Suarez or Ronaldo at Villa ?

what are you smoking pal. Two of the best players ever ?!? 

It’s not 2013 anymore 

I didn't realise they were giving Dad's Army a reboot. 

12 hours ago, dounavilla said:

you wouldn't want Suarez or Ronaldo at Villa ?

what are you smoking pal. Two of the best players ever ?!? 

There are a plethora of players that are world class I would love here. Messi, Haaland, Mbappe, Coutinho, Hazard, Salah, Mane etc etc. I would not have those two as I don't want people of poor character 

If you've read the Der Spiegel article on Ronaldo, tell me it's any different to signing David Goodwillie - only difference was one was settled outside court, neither have criminal convictions. 

Also Suarez is past it now, which isn't a great surprise at 35. And Ronaldo seems to make teams around him worse. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dale said:

There are a plethora of players that are world class I would love here. Messi, Haaland, Mbappe, Coutinho, Hazard, Salah, Mane etc etc. I would not have those two as I don't want people of poor character 

If you've read the Der Spiegel article on Ronaldo, tell me it's any different to signing David Goodwillie - only difference was one was settled outside court, neither have criminal convictions. 

Also Suarez is past it now, which isn't a great surprise at 35. And Ronaldo seems to make teams around him worse. 

Teams have always seemed fairly happy to let Ronaldo leave and Utd are probably about to add another to the list, which says something.

Anyway I wonder whether the key stumbling block would be the length of contract for Coutinho.  I think his agent would want 5 years which the club might be a bit reluctant about.  The likelihood is he will still be in top shape at 34/35 as he seems the model pro.  Maybe throwing in the Vegas team as an escape route where Coutinho stays on say £200k a week but the club don't pay it would be acceptable.  I **** hope he stays here though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

His agent works for him. Any player that sits back and lets their agent make noises is doing so because it suits their purposes.

Kia Joorabchain has a cult like grip over these players. He pretty much buys rights over the players when teenagers then becomes the agent when move to Europe where 3rd party ownership is banned in most places 

21 hours ago, av1 said:

It’s still not sunk in. 

After his debut at VP when we were walking back to the car my boy just said ‘dad, I can’t believe I’ve just saw Phillippe Countinho play football, and I can’t believe it was for us’

Even last night I said similar to the boy, it’s ridiculous really. Watching him is absolute joy. 

It goes to show, the type of people we have running us......To have Gerrard and Coutinho, on the books.

It really is so encouraging to have such fabulous owners.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Kia Joorabchain has a cult like grip over these players. He pretty much buys rights over the players when teenagers then becomes the agent when move to Europe where 3rd party ownership is banned in most places 

That cult like grip got him rumoured to be 450k per week from Barca. We might not like it but he's hardly holding coutinho hostage.

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

It goes to show, the type of people we have running us......To have Gerrard and Coutinho, on the books.

Absolutely mate.  What they have done from top to bottom is absolutely incredible. 

I read one post on one of the VT threads post Leeds this week that said something along the lines of ‘so we substituted the Brazilian number 10 and brought on the Argentinian number 10 in his place. 

Look I know Buendia hasn’t exactly established himself in the Argentinian team and I’m sure a certain Mr Messi would argue about the number 10 claim, so whilst not being factually correct it was a post that really hammered home how far we have come since these wonderful owners came to the club. 

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Coutinho absolutely. Gerrard should be thankful for the opportunity which he's doing alright with at the moment! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

Coutinho absolutely. Gerrard should be thankful for the opportunity which he's doing alright with at the moment! 

well the first one, wouldn't be here, without the second one.....so I will stay grateful for both.

• Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/mar/12/magical-misfit-philippe-coutinho-may-have-found-unlikely-home-at-aston-villa

Coutinho, quite aside from his direct contribution, is a player of stature, the sort of figure whose very presence can persuade fans, even other players, that a club is going places. Which inevitably prompts the question: what is he doing at Villa?

It’s probably largely an economic question. As the rest of European football retrenches because of the economic impact of the pandemic, the Premier League’s relentless expansion goes on. The English middle class can afford players who are out of range to all but a tiny handful abroad.

But it’s also a question rooted in modern ideas of what an attack-minded player should be. To create is no longer enough and Coutinho is not a natural presser. His gift is inconsistent; already at Villa he has had one stinker, in the win over Everton. Football is haunted by these castaways left behind by the economics of the modern game: too expensive for all but the absolute elite to own, but too unreliable for the absolute elite to play.

Weird article. Basically says he’s found his level, can’t press and isn’t as good as JG

Edited by blandy
Extract added by mods

11 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/mar/12/magical-misfit-philippe-coutinho-may-have-found-unlikely-home-at-aston-villa

Weird article. Basically says he’s found his level, can’t press and isn’t as good as JG

Very strange article. I think that does a massive disservice to both Coutinho and Villa. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â