Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

On 02/02/2022 at 15:41, Peter Griffin said:

I think the key difference is that Coutinho has already signed on the dotted line and agreed that if Villa want to make it permanent then we can. We are taking him for a test drive. If we like the feel of him he will be ours. The fee is agreed at 33m and wages already agreed too

No he hasn't. He has no obligation to stay at Villa 

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

He came here because our manager is a personal hero of his. The money side has all been agreed and he seems happy now he’s here.

If we want it to be permanent I think it will happen even without an obligation on his part. 

Yep, agreed.

He’s got all the money he’ll ever need so he may as well play somewhere he’s loved and where he’ll play every week (if he performs). 

Yeh, he won’t be playing in the CL, but he doesn’t strike me as someone that is perhaps motivated by that. He seems like quite a shy, humble bloke who just enjoys playing football and being in a good environment. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Source?

Edit: What does the 'option to buy' mean in his contract that Villa has? 

It means Villa has an agreed fee with Barcelona to buy him. It doesn't mean the player has to join, if he gets another offer he can decide to go elsewhere 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It means Villa has an agreed fee with Barcelona to buy him. It doesn't mean the player has to join, if he gets another offer he can decide to go elsewhere 

That's not how an option works in footballing contracts, otherwise they are fairly worthless. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That's not how an option works in footballing contracts, otherwise they are fairly worthless. 

I think he's right. We've agreed to sign him with Barcelona. They can't stop any deal happening. But whether we've agreed it with Coutinho is different, I think anyway. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That's how I see it too

We have an agreement with barca for a pre agreed fee that we can activate at any time

We don't have an already signed contract with him, I don't see how that would be possible, purslow has a signed 4 year contract in his top draw between us and the player and it stays in his top draw until we activate the clause? That doesn't make sense and wouldn't be legally binding 

We would still have to sign a contract with him, no doubt we've already negotiated terms with him and would be confident but there still a chance he doesn't sign 

• Like 4

I believe as a part of the option negotiation with barcelona, contract terms are also discussed and agreed with coutinho.

As per another posters question I can't remember a single incident of a player reneging when an option has been activated.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Loans can have an option to buy or an obligation to buy clause like Spurs have with Kulusevski if they get Champions League

11 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I think he's right. We've agreed to sign him with Barcelona. They can't stop any deal happening. But whether we've agreed it with Coutinho is different, I think anyway. 

We obviously can't see the contract but in football it is similar to the way a club has an option to extend a players contract by a further year. The player does not have the ability to refuse the extension

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's how I see it too

We have an agreement with barca for a pre agreed fee that we can activate at any time

We don't have an already signed contract with him, I don't see how that would be possible, purslow has a signed 4 year contract in his top draw between us and the player and it stays in his top draw until we activate the clause? That doesn't make sense and wouldn't be legally binding 

We would still have to sign a contract with him, no doubt we've already negotiated terms with him and would be confident but there still a chance he doesn't sign 

The same. I am not saying he wont sign but its nowhere near done and dusted yet

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Loans can have an option to buy or an obligation to buy clause like Spurs have with Kulusevski if they get Champions League

That is when the club that owns the player's contract has more negotiating power. The obligation to buy favours the selling club. Barca were desperate to get Coutinho off their books and didn't have the negotiating power

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

We obviously can't see the contract but in football it is similar to the way a club has an option to extend a players contract by a further year. The player does not have the ability to refuse the extension

He has only signed a loan contract with Villa though not a permanent deal.

2 different contracts especially as we are not paying his full salary 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has only signed a loan contract with Villa though not a permanent deal.

2 different contracts especially as we are not paying his full salary 

i believe it to be the same as a buy back clause where the proposed future salary etc is all decided at the same time. i.e. when people were worried about dougie going back to city if they triggered the clause, he wouldn't have had a choice and essentially would've been forced to move.

i might be wrong, but my understanding is that if we trigger the option to buy, coutinho becomes our player whether he wants to or not. as someone above mentioned, it's fairly worthless otherwise

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So, if I’m reading this right, we can sign him for the agreed price at the end of the season and Coutinho doesn’t have a say as he’s pre agreed the contract in advance?

I'm of the opinion that we can't have the pre signed contract 

A player out of contract can obviously pre sign a deal but I don't see how a player that would still be employed by someone else could 

But that doesn't mean that we can't negotiate and agree terms... Just not have the signed contract - as a result either party could still pull out - it's just barca that can't do a thing 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â