Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

I don't believe there is a sub deal with spurs. Most likely our option to buy is very informal - so at the end of the season we sit down with Barca and try to thrash out a deal - but we might not be the only bidders.

That's the only way the spurs story makes any degree of sense.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We'll never know cos we'll never see the exact wording but I would guess the word first isn't written in it

If villas contractual agreement is that we can buy him at an agreed €40m at any time then I don't see why spurs can't have that exact same agreement, it wouldn't contradict ours 

Agreed. Barcelona can agree whatever they want to with Spurs or anyone else. They are desperate to get rid of Coutinho and will be happy to have another option. I presume we will have a deadline by which to make the move permanent. If we miss it then Spurs will then likely have the opportunity to sign him.

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

Agreed. Barcelona can agree whatever they want to with Spurs or anyone else. They are desperate to get rid of Coutinho and will be happy to have another option. I presume we will have a deadline by which to make the move permanent. If we miss it then Spurs will then likely have the opportunity to sign him.

Have you ever heard of this kind of option before? I certainly haven't, I know loan players have been bought by other clubs before, but that involved cancelling the loan and the doing a straight transfer, never heard of a purchase clause to a club that isn't loaning the player. It just seems very odd and unlikely to me, I can see how it would benefit Barca to have extra options sure, but if he does well they'll be selling cheap to a team when they didn't need to and I think they'd have plenty of options anyway.

Saying all of that, Barca are an absolute mess, who knows what kind of madness they might agree to...

Hello all I previously commented on gerrard. I know I know..I’m an obsessive Lfc fan.

However as a season ticket holder I feel in a decent position to comment on these two in particular..

I've been watching developments with villa with interest for obvious reasons and I think this will prove to be a very good signing.

I have to admit I haven’t watched lots of  coutiniho since he left but I can tell you about the player who was at liverpool.

Firstly, by all accounts he is a good lad, not going to upset anyone, speaks English and for us was not injured a lot from memory.

His touch is immense as is his awareness, close control and skills in tight positions. His other main strength is his shooting from distance both from dead balls an in open play.

I would say the other thing that helps with him is he can press and he does work hard. He isn’t just some number 10 who strolls round the pitch.

The general criticism of coutiniho from liverpool fans was that certainly for the first few years he was inconsistent. He could put in a 9/10 performance then 2x6/10 performances and that seemed to be the cycle. However in the last 2 years I think it was or certainly 18 months (an bear in mind he was young) it became near enough every game he was immense an for me he was probably along with hazard the best player in the league at that time.

You don’t go for 145m if you are shit an he wasn’t a flash in the pan like a dembele for instance.

yeh it worked out for liverpool as we sold him an bought Allison an van dijk who based on our American owners track record we would not have bought without the sale. 

However at 29 I see no reason why you cannot have 4/5 years of coutiniho. The fact gerrard will build around him will help too an I suspect he will be a success.

ps from reading a number of these threads over the last couple of months you aren’t the most optimistic bunch are ya? But on this one I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Have you ever heard of this kind of option before? I certainly haven't, I know loan players have been bought by other clubs before, but that involved cancelling the loan and the doing a straight transfer, never heard of a purchase clause to a club that isn't loaning the player. It just seems very odd and unlikely to me, I can see how it would benefit Barca to have extra options sure, but if he does well they'll be selling cheap to a team when they didn't need to and I think they'd have plenty of options anyway.

Saying all of that, Barca are an absolute mess, who knows what kind of madness they might agree to...

It’s not something I have heard of before but from a legal point of view, it’s easily done. They will need to ensure that the wording of both agreements is such that a breach does not occur in either agreement should either party execute their option to buy. That’s why I think it’s likely that we have first dibs but after a period of time our automatic right lapses. Ultimately if both teams bid the choice will be with the player anyway, so there might not even be an order of precedence.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't believe there is a sub deal with spurs. Most likely our option to buy is very informal - so at the end of the season we sit down with Barca and try to thrash out a deal - but we might not be the only bidders.

That's the only way the spurs story makes any degree of sense.

It seems it's clear, the option to buy is set at €40m. What isn't clear is if the settlement between Coutinho and Barca is included and what salary we would pay him also agreed. Or is it a set clause where if we activate it we are free to discuss with Coutinho. If it is the latter I'm sure we'd agree with Coutinho first before activating the clause.

I think we would move on Traore if we decided we wanted to sign Coutinho. Any sale over 8m would be a booked profit and removal of his wages. I'm sure we could book a profit, he had 14 goal contributions from play last season in the Premier League from 28 starts

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Whatever way we set up. We'll have two of Watkins, Ings, Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho on the bench when everyone is fit. Some options off the bench to change games

Its great options to have without question. Squad depth is something we have lacked for years.  

I would consider getting rid of trez and aeg as i dont think either is good enough to take us to the next level. Countino is such a step up its incredible 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Love this clip where Coutinho talks about Gerrard...

I think it’s pretty obvious he has come here to play for SG and not just for a short loan period. 

This nonsense about Spurs I believe can be explained by the crazy situation Barcelona are in.

They needed him off the books so that UEFA would allow them to register Torres. We offered them a loan to the end of the season and then all being well we buy him for £40m. They take that to UEFA and they say, what if in 6 months Villa don’t buy him? So Barca ask, what if the loan deal was for 18 months while we get our finances straight. UEFA say ok and so the 18 month story comes out. Villa disagree and say it’s 6 month loan then buy or forget it. By which time we’re holding all the aces with the SG and PC relationship.

So Barca approach Levy and ask if he’d match the £40m we have offered if it falls through with us. Levy thinks if Villa don’t want him after 6 months trial then neither do we. But Levy being Levy can’t resist a potential bargain and agrees “in principle” thinking that Barca will be even more over a barrel by then and he’ll beg PC for a tenner and a few iTunes vouchers. UEFA ok that with Spurs as a back up plan, because Barca are one of their favourite sons. 

Smoke and mirrors, he’s either a success here and we buy him or he and Barcelona are back to square one. No way the new clued up version of Villa get mugged over that easily by Spurs. If that happens Purslow will need a bloody good excuse for NSWE or he’ll be looking for another job. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Have we ever signed a player with a higher international profile who wasn’t definitely already way past their best? 

Really hope he’s coming back at least close to the player that left the premier league, if he does this could be a seminal moment for us in terms of now move forward as a club.

I can’t recall seeing him in interviews but does anyone know what kind of level his English is at? 

Similar to Peter Beardsley so a translator is usually required

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think it’s pretty obvious he has come here to play for SG and not just for a short loan period. 

This nonsense about Spurs I believe can be explained by the crazy situation Barcelona are in.

They needed him off the books so that UEFA would allow them to register Torres. We offered them a loan to the end of the season and then all being well we buy him for £40m. They take that to UEFA and they say, what if in 6 months Villa don’t buy him? So Barca ask, what if the loan deal was for 18 months while we get our finances straight. UEFA say ok and so the 18 month story comes out. Villa disagree and say it’s 6 month loan then buy or forget it. By which time we’re holding all the aces with the SG and PC relationship.

So Barca approach Levy and ask if he’d match the £40m we have offered if it falls through with us. Levy thinks if Villa don’t want him after 6 months trial then neither do we. But Levy being Levy can’t resist a potential bargain and agrees “in principle” thinking that Barca will be even more over a barrel by then and he’ll beg PC for a tenner and a few iTunes vouchers. UEFA ok that with Spurs as a back up plan, because Barca are one of their favourite sons. 

Smoke and mirrors, he’s either a success here and we buy him or he and Barcelona are back to square one. No way the new clued up version of Villa get mugged over that easily by Spurs. If that happens Purslow will need a bloody good excuse for NSWE or he’ll be looking for another job. 

All possible. But I think more likely is someone posted a speculative tweet about Villa and Spurs, was unlucky that we announced our loan at the same time, and that’s the end of it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

All possible. But I think more likely is someone posted a speculative tweet about Villa and Spurs, was unlucky that we announced our loan at the same time, and that’s the end of it. 

Probably right but I do like to bang on at times. As my wife would testify. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Something along those lines, and sheer desperation to link him to a scum 6 club, most can’t get their heads around that he’s joined a “peasant” club like Villa 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

What motivates me.  Do I wake up in the morning dreaming of another £10m barely involved in my absolute passion or do I dream of playing the game I love, scoring goal, listening to the adoring fans........ And STILL get paid an absolutely stupid amount of money by anyone's standards. 

Surely at some stage money takes a back seat. 

It's not about the actual money, it's about ego, and big dick contests. About being paid more than your teammates, thus putting you higher up the pecking order. It happens everywhere - you find out your useless colleague is getting paid more than you, so you go in to the boss and ask for a raise. Human psychology - particularly when we're young and competitive (as sportspeople invariably are).

In an ideal world, we'd all reach a point where we realise we've got enough, and don't care what anybody else earns. Maybe Coutinho has reached that stage of wisdom. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Not going to worry about the spurs stuff until we’re approaching the end of the season and he’s been a roaring success.

Now the excitement has died down, I’m slightly concerned how long it’s going to take him to get up to speed with the league having played so few minutes over the last couple of years. 

11 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Absolutely no way the club would accept another team having first option also. Utterly bizarre claim. 

Yeah, it's just a ludicrous intenet rumour which will no doubt become fact. 

For a start off we wouldn't have an option to buy if this was the case.  It was described in the official club press release as an option to buy.  If a other club had the same clause all we would have is an option to bid. 

It's clearly bullshit. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â