Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

TO follow-on from my Chelsea comparison. The previous season they finished 11th. Then signed Gullit. The previous summer their signings were Paul Furlong, Scott Minto and David Rocastle. The pulling power of the Gullit signing, thus raising their profile (Don't forget this was in the Ken Bates days) led the following season see LeBoeuf, Di Matteo, Vialli and Zola sign.

• Like 1

This is what you call making a statement with this signing. We were worlds away from this kind of name just a couple of years ago. To be honest, I still thought we were but, it clearly shows what a difference a manager with a big name in the game makes. In my opinion, Dean Smith would not have been able to sign Coutinho. No offence meant to Deano as I do like him and what he did for us but Gerrard has the bigger pull, obviously. 

I get why people have fears of this deal. We've been to that dark place of paying way over the odds wages for people to sit on their arses doing nothing and fleecing us. But, I do not have that fear with Coutinho. He knows Gerrard personally and will know exactly what our manager will want and expect from him. He wouldn't be coming here unless he felt he could deliver still. He isn't going to want to piss off his mate!

As for a chant, surely it has to be something like...........Coutinho, woah oh. Coutinho, woah oh oh. He's rejoined his friend Gerrard, to light up Villa Park. 

5 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Indeed.  I get the excitement, but this aint the Villa that the owners said they were going to build.   We are recruiting like Everton did a couple of seasons ago.

Understand the sentiment. But being just a loan gives us a layer of protection in case it doesn't work out. 

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

And that's why I'm hoping we've got a decent deal lined up.

Barca are desperate to get rid.

Yeah their entire season hinges on getting rid of Coutinho and ideally Umtiti. Without this they can not register Torres or any other new players they are hoping to bring in. Same in the summer where they once again will not be able so register players in La Liga if they still have Coutinho on their salary sheet.

I get we are a small market club but we really should be able to get a much better deal than 65% salary and €35m-€45m transfer fee. Feels like a suckers deal considering how desperate Barca are.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Yeah their entire season hinges on getting rid of Coutinho and ideally Umtiti. Without this they can not register Torres or any other new players they are hoping to bring in. Same in the summer where they once again will not be able so register players in La Liga if they still have Coutinho on their salary sheet.

I get we are a small market club but we really should be able to get a much better deal than 65% salary and €35m-€45m transfer fee. Feels like a suckers deal considering how desperate Barca are.

We have and we will.

• Like 1

Amazing signing. I'm over the moon. For the first time in many years I will buy a shirt with a current player's name on the back. I know he might flop, but right now we've signed a top top player and I'm happy for that. Probably the biggest profile player we've signed in my 40 years as a Villan. 

But please, don't let captain Jack do the welcome interview.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Indeed.  I get the excitement, but this aint the Villa that the owners said they were going to build.   We are recruiting like Everton did a couple of seasons ago.

So the bulldozers are starting work on the academy building first thing on Monday  then?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Looking at Coutinho's positions he seems to play often in the middle...

However, Sky have been showing his goals at Liverplop and he seems to be left-side and then drift in and on to his right foot.

He's likely going to play left-side presumably?

he can play inside left or central left, or AM etc.

I think i would play it a bit like:

Ings

Countiho - Buendia

So basically Buendia drifts right and central, Countinho drifts left and central.

8 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

How is our recruiting similar to Evertons of a few years ago?

I think Coutinho can be a success but I also see the similarities.

Names and experience at big money over young gems with a plan.

Ings shoehorned in for a name, pushing our record buy out to the LW ruining the form of both. Coutinho/James similarities are obvious. 

I think we have good youth and enough younger players that we can avoid being being Everton. But signing a lot of players pushing 30 for big money without a clear idea of how everybody will play is a risk. (We also needed more experience, so swings and roundabouts)

We can see where Coutinho fits in Gerrards system but him/Bailey are very different stylistically it is easy to see how we haven't had much of an over arching plan. 

This is often the way it goes when new managers come in, new ideas, want to do things differently and some players may not fit. But we've been led to believe we've got this grandiose plan and we seem to have deviated from that the past 6 months. 

But look. We have him on loan, we haven't committed anything and if it works out, it'll be a hell of a signing. As long as we are sensible come the summer, there is no down side here. For 6 months we can ride a rollercoaster and be damn excited. If it doesn't work, we can worry about it in the summer.

Edited by HalfTimePost

12 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yeah it doesn’t always work out for some, injuries play a big part, but the truly elite athletes are able to adapt as they age.

Not just adapt but live the right way. Without bringing him back up but no chance our former No. 10 will play to similar age/standards of Ronaldo or Modric for example for this reason 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure hope so!

BBC report that we will pay less then 50% of his wages with an option to buy, a figure has been quoted and a I doubt this has been made public so it's probably bollox, if we decide to take up the option, Barca will get what they are given and be grateful.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 2

Â