Giants News

kkr

Gilbride: No huddle may be cure for Giants offensive woes

One way Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride might resuscitate his slumping unit Sunday is by employing a no-huddle, two-minute offense.

Gilbride said when you’re trying to remedy a unit’s woes, you typically “go back to the things that are your core.” He then pointed out that historically the Giants’ offense has performed well in the no-huddle and revealed it’s “absolutely” under consideration to be used.

“You don’t want me to tip my hand now, do you?” Gilbride said.

The primary advantage of the no-huddle offense is utilizing a quicker tempo and perhaps allowing your offense to get into rhythm while also making it more difficult for the defense to sub players in and out.

Gilbride said last Sunday, when the Giants took over with 4:02 to go in the game, trailing the Steelers 24-20, they went to the two-minute offense — but they also went three-and-out, after two incompletions and a sack.

“Doesn’t always work,” Gilbride said. “But it has been something we’ve been very good at, and hopefully we’re going to recover and get back to that.”

The struggling Giants would like to get back to what they’ve been for the last year and a half, which has been a superb offensive outfit. Last year they averaged 24.6 points per game (ninth-best in the NFL), then upped it to 25.5 points in the playoffs. This year the Giants are averaging 28.2 points (sixth-best), highlighted by 41-point explosions versus both the Buccaneers and Browns and a 36-point performance against the Panthers.

But the last two weeks, the offense scored just 22 points against the Cowboys and 13 against the Steelers, averaging only 17.5 in the two-game spurt.

“It has been a long while [since we’ve struggled],” Gilbride said. “It wasn’t something we expected to happen. We certainly appreciated the ability level of the two defenses we’ve played, but we expected to perform a lot better than we did. Was it jarring? Yeah, it was. There’s no question about it.”

Gilbride admitted the health of Hakeem Nicks (knee) and Ahmad Bradshaw (foot) have forced him to alter his play calling. He also insisted that players besides Eli Manning (one touchdown, four interceptions the last three weeks) need to perform.

“He gets way too much credit when things go well; he gets way too much blame when things don’t go well because that position only performs as well as the guys around him,” Gilbride said. “It’s not just him, trust me. It’s all of us. We’ve all got to do a better job.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/gilbride_no_huddle_may_be_cure_for_B3asAYUTNr9kY4oe3PHD6K

Better late than never i suppose! Doubt we come out and start the game up tempo though, doubt it very much.

Will Hill activated and Coe to IR. Hopefully we can see the 3 safety package.

Nicks, Snee and Bradshaw should all be a go this week. Nicks reportedly suffered a setback with his knee that suffered swelling post Pittsburgh loss. He is listed as probable, the other two questionable. Sadly i think Diehl remains in the starting lineup even though Locklear hasnt given up a sack this season.

AJ Green sees "holes" in our secondary. You dont say!

What a shit stain of a game that will linger over the next 2 weeks. Im sorry but if your offense cant get 1 passing TD in over 100 attempts and have just 1 passing TD through 4 straight games you need to change what you are doing.

Our offense has been exposed and Gilbride and Coughlin have done **** all about it apart from insert a turnstyle at RT and persist with playing a clearly injured and inept Ahmad Bradshaw and Hakeem Nicks. Its almost like they want to lose to keep the divison close and give false hope to clowns in Phili and Dallas! Its like they cant coach unless their is some bullshit adversity to overcome. Im sick of it.

No Killer instinct nearly cost us the game against Dallas which is clear to see now was a massivle fluke thanks to Tony Turnover and it definitely cost us a 10 point lead against Pittsburgh.

Today was just a shambles, a disgrace. The game was over as soon as Bradshaw fumbled in the 3rd quarter, all fight was gone aftert that moment.

We are the defending champions and have let Dallas beat us in our own back yard on opening night. Pittsburgh beat us because we were soft in our own back yard and lost to a terrible Cincinnatti team by a blowout. That is **** disgraceful.

I can honestly say we havent lost to a team that are better than us this season. 4 **** losses already due to our own ineptitude and now we have Green Bay, a resurgant Nawleens, Atlanta, Washington and Philli to play still. 8-8 if we are lucky.

That being said im going to whack a shed load of $$$ on us to beat Green Bay because thats what we do. Play down to shit and lose and then once we have had a kick up the arse turn things around and start playing properly. Hopefully thats the case but Coughlin and Gilbride are two **** stubborn and set in their ways to change. I mean Andy **** Dalton ran the no huddle today yet still we have the shackles on a two time Super Bowl MVP. **** absurd.

I hope Eli is just bombing these games in an attempt to **** Gilbrides BS off.

You can when most of those points came off of four turnovers!

The offense has been figured out, the past few weeks its like teams have been in our playbook, in our huddle every series. The drop off from last year is farcical.

Its the same plays, the same audibles, same packages, same personnel and the same scheme.

That said i think its come to the point whereby a blowout loss after some flukey wins and a close loss is probably what we need. Maybe now the changes that need to be made will be made and then we come out and blitz Green Bay for the W. Wouldnt surprise me.

As much as i slag Gilbride off his calls in both playoff runs were pretty darn good so clearly he is capable of fixing this mess. I think the Super Bowl run and late bye this year might be contributing to some mental fatigue also.

His problem is that he can't think ahead. 3rd and 6, he chooses a player designed to go deep to Nicks. Nothing wrong with that - unless you're going to go for it on 4th. Try and hit Cruz on a slant, your back on a screen or even a draw from shotgun, you want to make it a more managable 4th down. It's not just then it's a problem either as he has this obsession with starting a drive with a deep ball, more often than not we're 2nd and 10 and either he panics and tries to get us to go deep again or predictably goes with a run. It means we're 3rd and long everytime and with the pass protection getting worse game by game Eli's got no chance.

Using the deep ball is fine, but you have to use it at the right time. I'd much prefer us to keep it short on 1st down whether it be a run or a short pass, it opens things up on 2nd down and if you can sustain a drive then you're going to dominate the clock. First drive of the 2007 Super Bowl is what I mean, that was a superbly called drive and although it stalled at the end, drives like that keep your D fresh, your opponents D tried and more importantly, your opponents offenses of the field.

• 2 weeks later...

Andre Brown broken Fibula, fuuuuuuck!

Huge win last night but Green Bay barely showed up, rested their players coming back from injury and i think were basically happy to get out of there without any more injuries to top players. Their season starts now with 4/5 against the division.

Our season gets harder and harder which makes a win against the Redskins on MNF next week an absolute must after their resurgance against the Cowboys

sFM38.gif

Locklear done for the year. We will have to just Diehl with it.

Enough with the gimmick bullshit now, the next 4 games are against pocket passers and 4 statues so time to focus on stopping conventional running games and rushing the passer just like we did against Green Bay and San Fran. No reason why we cant go 4-0. Saints on a short week will be tough but im glad its in New York.

I think Brees' Saints have only played in NY once haven't they? They won big, but I remember Brees had a terrible game and Reggie Bush did all the work. Playing them in the middle of December in NY can only help us I would imagine. 2-2 might be enough to take the division, not sure what the tie-breakers are like since we split the series with bosh the Cowboys and Skins though.

Giants cannot win a tiebreaker for the division against either the Redskins or Cowboys.

Best the Giants can be in the division is 3-3, but the winner of the Cowboys @ Skins game will have a 4-2 NFCE mark.

If that happens, the Eagles will probably claim credit for keeping the Giants out of the playoffs...

Playoff scenarios (after NYG win over NO)

ray in arlington : 7:53 pm

======================

Quick summary:

======================

If Giants go 3-0 they win the NFC East.

It looks probable for the Giants to make it if they go 2-1 and get to 10-6. If SEA loses a conference game (against SF or against STL), the Giants definitely make it at 10-6.

If GB loses to DET the Giants definitely make it at 10-6.

At 9-7 the Giants will need DAL and WAS to fall to 8-8 or less to win the division. They would need serious help (involving SEA losing 2 OR CHI losing 2 OR GB losing 3) to get a wild card at 9-7).

Note: I assume there are no ties in remaining games.

===================================

Detailed version:

===================================

GIANTS go 3-0 and finish 11-5:

================================

Giants win NFC East. They get at least a #3 seed unless GB wins out.

=================================

GIANTS go 2-1 and finish 10-6:

=================================

Giants win division unless DAL wins out or WAS wins out. DAL and WAS can't both win out because they are playing each other.

If Giants don't win division, they are a wildcard unless CHI wins out AND GB wins all their games except for CHI AND one of the following happens:

1) SEA wins out AND SF wins 1

OR

2) SEA goes 2-1 with the 2 wins being conference wins AND Giants go 2-1 with a conference loss AND Seattle takes the strength-of-victory tiebreaker. The SOV tiebreak could go either way.

(One result of this is that if DET beats GB, the 10-6 puts the Giants in the playoffs.)

=======================

GIANTS go 1-2 and finish 9-7.

==========================

Giants win division if DAL loses at least 2 AND WAS loses at least 2.

If Giants don't win the division at 9-7, they need to avoid finishing in 3rd place. This happens if both DAL and WAS go 2-1 or 3-0. DAL and WAS are going to play each other, which should give one of them a loss. If the Giants finish 3rd in the NFC east, a wild card is going to require 3 GB losses or 2 CHI losses at a minimum. The reason is that if you finish 3rd, you only get in if the 2nd place team is the 1st wildcard.

If Giants finish 2nd (i.e. DAL OR WAS do better than 1-2, but not both), there are 2 cases:

CASE I: Giants go 1-2 with one of the losses being against BAL (so 1-1 in the conference games)

Looks like Giants would make it with

A) 2 or more SEA losses + 1 MINN loss + 1 STL loss

OR

B) 3 or more GB losses + 1 MINN loss + 1 STL loss

OR

C) 2 or more CHI losses + 1 MINN loss + 1 STL loss

CASE II: Giants go 1-2 with one of the wins being against BAL (so 0-2 in the conference games).

The ways to get in are:

A) 2 SEA conference losses + 1 MINN loss + 1 STL loss

OR

B) SEA losses to SF and BUF + 1 MINN loss + 1 STL loss

OR

C) 2 or more CHI losees + 1 MINN loss + 1 STL loss

OR

D) 3 or more GB losses + 1 MINN loss + 1 STL loss

OR

E) SEA loses to BUF and STL + 1 MINN loss + 1 STL loss + GIANTS take SOV (over SEA or SEA and MINN)

==========

SEEDING

==========

#1 ATL 11-2

#2 SF 8-3-1

#3 GB 8-4 (CONF 6-3) [CHI is 8-5 CONF 5-4 w/ loss to GB]

#4 NYG 8-5 (CONF 6-3)

Giants can't be in a tiebreak situation with SF unless they play a tie game themselves. So it's unlikely the head-to-head win over SF will apply.

GB/NYG 2-way tiebreak: This goes to NYG head-to-head

CHI/NYG 2-way tiebreak:

This goes to NYG. If NYG ties with CHI at the end of the season, NYG will have a better conference record.

CHI/GB/NYG 3-way tiebreak:

This goes to NYG. It reduces to CHI/NYG (see above) or GB/NYG (head to head to NYG), since the division tiebreak has to be applied first.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=459991

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â