Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/22 at 23:59

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

The intensity was allowed to drop and drop and drop and we got punished.

For all the possession we didn’t carve enough out. 

Every lost can be described in this fashion. We either start slow and find the right intensity in the 2nd half or get the start right and tail off. 

Lack of consistency was always going to be an issue trying to institute a high press system. I will say for the amount of running Steven's system requires his lack of subbing before late into the 2nd half is interesting. 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I always find it amusing when players turn on the amateur dramatics to try and win a pen, surely Trez knows that VAR will check it and the everyone will just laugh at his stupidity and attempt to cheat

For me it's the worst part of football, so called professionals play acting 

• Like 3

Typically Villa.

Somewhat unlucky as Brentford played like a Championship Team. - but still FFS.

Gerrard got it somewhat right again and we controlled the game - credit given. But he failed to make the neccessary changes in due time, and lost a game that looked a certain win.

Why not give the youngsters a chance.

Never want to see Traore and Trezeguet in the shirt again - the young guns are much better. 

Buendia and Ings average at best. 

We have many mediocre PL players, and need to focus on developing the youngster and our core players (Cash, OW, Konsa, Targett, Mcginn, Luiz, Buendia).   

New players in should be only top shelf.

Didn't think we were that bad at all really, outside of some individual performances. Certainly didn't deserve to lose the game on the balance of play but it worryingly felt typically Villa that it happened.

So frustrating, at our best we are heads above Brentford but at our worst we aren't as good as them and today we displayed both.

Not sure we have the full backs to play this system in the premier League. Cash maybe but Target is out of his depth. 

Letting Brentford in for the first goal was the start of our downfall, at 1 up we still continued to chase the game giving away possession attempting to score the second, we need to learn to kill the game and build on a result. 

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I always find it amusing when players turn on the amateur dramatics to try and win a pen, surely Trez knows that VAR will check it and the everyone will just laugh at his stupidity and attempt to cheat

I guess he’s decided in his mind he’s gonna dive and tries make the reaction and contact plan come together. Unfortunately for him, and us and everyone associated with Villa only 1 part of the 2 part plan happened.

• Like 1

Why do so many people judge us on 60 mins and not on more games. It was the same when Smith was sacked, people failing to appreciate how bad we were for a year. We have had a great start under SG, we are missing Mings, Bailey, Ollie, Marv and others and we were largely the better team but played poorly and defended badly and now our squad needs a complete rebuild.

34 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

A moment in the first half when Emi and Ramsay played about 3 one twos to each other five yards apart was symptomatic of the casual nature and false sense of security.

Good observation. They were both excellent to start the match, but at that point, it seemed like neither of them wanted the ball to have another go. It was symptomatic of our decline.

29 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Worst performance in a long time form Luiz defensively. Lost every 50/50, they strolled passed him. 

I think you're right about his defensive performance. It wasn't his best. My compliment above was about his play going forward; his distribution was good.

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Trez sub was baffling.

I wasn't surprised. Traore wasn't going to last a whole match when he hasn't played in so long. I saw Gerrard say something complimentary about Trez's performance in training somewhere in the press this week. He gave Trez a chance. Trez won't get another one on that performance.

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Without meaning to be unkind to them, there are only two things that will keep Brentford up, their start and us. They're the second worst side in the division

Couldn't disagree more. They were pretty good against City a few days ago, at least in the 30m that I saw. They're the best of the three promoted teams and also are better than Burnley and Newcastle. I haven't seen much of Leeds this year, but they may be better than Leeds, too.

22 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I felt our right side of McGinn and Cash were unusually quiet. Was it because of Traore, whose game didn't suit the rest of the team?

Good observation.

When did we last kill a game off when dominant? We so lack a killer instinct. We never used Matty Cash at all and continually fed it on Targett's side and spread the play far too slow. They were organised as we were too slow. We never once upped the tempo up. We're absolutely shocking in the final third.

I think defensively were good, fine. But we really lack that balance and players that can understand both.

We lost today thanks to our shortcomings not Brentford being good.

Edited by stewiek2

25 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Weak squad players in Hause, Traore and Trezeguet lost us this game today.

This is the route cause. Soon as we get one injury we look so weak. How have we wasted so much money on shite. Really upsets me. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â