VillaTalk Deadpool 2022

Xela

13 hours ago, sne said:

Wolfgang Petersen, the guy behind Das Boot, In the Line of Fire, Air Force One The Perfect Storm... 81 y.o

Did a load of a great films, way more than I’d realised.

The Neverending Story (which was basically a rite of passage for any child of the 80’s) Troy and Outbreak.

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Did a load of a great films, way more than I’d realised.

The Neverending Story (which was basically a rite of passage for any child of the 80’s) Troy and Outbreak.

So close but still so far... I like it but it's not a good film

I do still maintain though that the Achilles v Hector fight by Hollywood standards is a classic, its really well choreographed and executed 

Has anyone in their 30s tried watching NES in the last decade?  I haven't, I'm convinced it will be putting fond memories in the bin 

Edited by villa4europe

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

So close but still so far... I like it but it's not a good film

I thought The Directors Cut was excellent. Fleshed everything out more and filled in some glaring holes in the story.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Josephine Tewson, from Keeping Up Appearances and the retirement home for British Character Actors (Last of the Summer Wine) gone at 91

Funny you should say that as she was a resident at Denville Hall, a retiremement home for actors (and other theatrical performers) 

Other residents have included Richard Attenborough, Peter Sallis, Robert Hardy, Andrew Sachs and Doris Hare. 

• Like 2

Scottish mountain biker Rab Wardell, heart attack, 37. Two days after winning the national title.

Popped up on my news feed, never heard ofthe guy but spookily close to my own name.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Scottish mountain biker Rab Wardell, heart attack, 37. Two days after winning the national title.

Popped up on my news feed, never heard ofthe guy but spookily close to my own name.

It's you, in Glaswegian

• Thanks 1

Just now, bickster said:

It's you, in Glaswegian

Funnily enough, that is how my surname should be written. For some reason known only to my late Dad, he changed the spelling of his own name. His own birth certificate is spelt as the Scots lad above.

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Funnily enough, that is how my surname should be written. For some reason known only to my late Dad, he changed the spelling of his own name. His own birth certificate is spelt as the Scots lad above.

And Rab in a roundabout way (Rabbie from Raibeart) is the Gaelic form of Robert which oddly originates in Germany

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

OT but my Mom was going to be called Charlotte, but when my grandparents took her to be registered and were asked how they would like it spelt, neither knew how to spell it, so in a panic my grandad said ‘just call her Sue’

I didn’t come from good Genes 🤣

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

OT but my Mom was going to be called Charlotte, but when my grandparents took her to be registered and were asked how they would like it spelt, neither knew how to spell it, so in a panic my grandad said ‘just call her Sue’

You think? Today people would just register the birth as Sharlot

11 hours ago, av1 said:

Which of your relatives ended up being called Gene, and what were they originally named?

Edited by StanBalaban

12 minutes ago, choffer said:

Hardly a surprise but from what I’ve heard today (very reliable source), fans of extra bank holidays might be in for a treat before too long. 

In fairness a 96 year old probably has a dice roll percentage chance of getting through each day so even if your sources are completely off their rocker they have a decent chance of being right every day.

• Like 1