Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Good interview. Can never read too much into these things but he handled himself very well. 

Yep, getting a really good vibe from him. Relieved as I was starting to doubt the appointment a bit the last few days.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm impressed.

No nonsense, no gimmicks.

Steel, focus and authority.

Makes no bones about what he expects.

I'm so glad there was none of this big club bollox, it always comes across as cringe worthy insecure load of old codswallop. Just straight business.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Good interview. Can never read too much into these things but he handled himself very well. 

I think you can, in a particular way.

I think there is a certain inner confidence all top managers exude, and it manifests itself in their dialogue and expression and the way they speak.

I am not saying Steve is a top manager yet, but I think he exudes self confidence and deliberate in his delivery.

Sure its inevitable, that it comes across, in the first interview, a few defeats and its no so easy.....

but I feel confident, we'll be ok.

• Like 2

got to say, he interviews well, for what thats worth, he definitely comes across as intense and demanding of himself and others.

I think there is some truth is "the team reflects the manager", and i did think Villa under Smith, did reflect Deano to a high degree.

If our team reflects how Gerrard seems to come across going forward, i think it would be a very positive thing.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don't want to disrespect Smith, but that interview with Gerrard gives me more confidence than any Smith one ever did.

Smith was more of the first chapter and the foundation, and no one can take that away from him.

But he was never realistically gonna take us to the next chapter in the book. Gerrard hopefully can do that.

Sounds very promising based on his first interview.

• Like 1

Good interview!

It’s a good start, I didn’t expect anything different to be honest.  He’s always been confident in himself with that steely look in his eyes.  Can he translate to this team is all I care about.

Edited by nick76

19 hours ago, nick76 said:

Based on what mate? We don’t know the relationship between Dean and Purslow, how it worked, who was more dominant, any frictions or whatever.  Then we are just speculating how Gerrard and Purslow will work together. Gerrard seems a stronger character than Dean but I’ve seen that not translate when talking to your boss in professional circumstances.  Not only that but Gerrard managing Purslow may not be a good thing given his experience at this level.  There are many reasons why it could be better but also many why it could be worse…until we get some time on it I think it’s hard to speculate what will happen and whether it will be good or worse than the Smith/Purslow relationship.

Speculation is the currency on here, because we are not ITK's......its not single dimensional either, it enters all views.

You have answered your own question Nick, "Based on what"...."Stronger Character"

When you have played at his level and dominated games at the level he has....its difficult to ignore/dismiss him....It doesn't make you manage better, but it makes you more resistant to criticism.

Managing up is a skill and its not dominating your boss, that's hyperbole....its about influencing and building trust, persuading to get your way, and resisting being manipulated too.

It is speculation, of course, just backing my judgement, having been in situations like that working for huge organisations....I have seen it first hand.

will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don't want to disrespect Smith, but that interview with Gerrard gives me more confidence than any Smith one ever did.

Well said Tum, I felt exactly the same, if a little guilty, it's a new dawn, Dean has gone and can come back with his head held high. But this is the new Villa and the disapproval I felt when SG was announced is waning very quickly.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â