Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

31 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Again that’s fair… I don’t mean to argue with you mate.

But it’s hard to take too much from that game imo and apply it to PL games…

I want to be encouraged, I want to be hopeful… It’s just hard at the moment.

I think we are all in the same boat, we want to see a good Villa performance or at least see a trend in the right direction of a good performance

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well my family and a couple of friends almost didn’t renew our season tickets because mostly of him and the football.  I knew others at the ground who are also long term season ticket holders that questioned renewing, if that answers your question.  

Other reasons as I’ve mentioned before included ticket price rises and transportation issues but those could be forgotten somewhat if the football on the pitch was right.  We renewed because our love for the club though but it was a close call.

edit:  the atmosphere, it’s hard to say, it’s been nervous down there before Gerrard…basically 18 months of nervousness watching games, which impacts the atmosphere.

I think " disconnect " is a big part of the probably.

Obviously the results are most important but this is a large part of the problem and lack of " leeway " imo.

There is so much s**t going on in the world right now. I use football as an escape mainly because, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't actually matter much. I have enough negativity to deal with in the real world, without having to beat myself senseless over whether our xG is high enough.  

• Like 3

Highlighted before that O'Neill had a worse record after 30 games than Gerrard, with 34 points and a win rate of 23% compared to Gerrard's 37%. We'd also only scored 29 compared to 41 under Gerrard and were just coming out of a run of 2 wins in 19 games (including 11 in row without a win). We had though conceded fewer, with 35 vs 40 under Gerrard. After 30 games is when we started to accellerate and score more under O'Neill, with 14 scored in final 8 of his first season and 71 the season after.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomsky_11 said:

Highlighted before that O'Neill had a worse record after 30 games than Gerrard, with 34 points and a win rate of 23% compared to Gerrard's 37%. We'd also only scored 29 compared to 41 under Gerrard and were just coming out of a run of 2 wins in 19 games (including 11 in row without a win). We had though conceded fewer, with 35 vs 40 under Gerrard. After 30 games is when we started to accellerate and score more under O'Neill, with 14 scored in final 8 of his first season and 71 the season after.

Yippee, I will take 6th place finish for the next few years

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

To be fair O’Neil took over a team that was in a relegation battle the season before. Squad needed quite an overhaul.

In terms of new managers it’s been a while since one has come in with so many good players at his disposal.

Edit: but then it’s also all relative. The league as a whole was no way near as strong as it is now.  O’Leary finishing 6th illustrates that. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

I think there will be fewer managerial sackings at the earlier stage of this season. I think clubs liked to get the new manager in for the international break in Oct. But with the WC break kicking in on the weekend of Nov 12th it makes that an ideal time to bring in a new manager as he will have about 7 weeks with the squad. I think this will give managers an extra few weeks to save their skin. Sackings to kick in around the start of Nov imo with new managers coming in as the WC kicks off (Note: Watford is not included in that thought process) 

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

Am I being unreasonable?

As we’re all being honest it does seem you are a little angry at times. I tend to watch how I post to you when it’s about Gerrard in case you flip out at me :)

It’s all good. We’re a Villa family, managers will come and go.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â