Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Interesting I guess, but only if you do anything with it...

FB_IMG_1661355086420-min.jpg

I wonder if there's some inverse correlation there. Our best games last season we tended to have 30-40% possession. Controlled performances. Now we have a lot of the ball and just seem kind of aimless.

3 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

(Atkinson excluded as first 30 prior to 92/93)

Had a look at Atkinson's first 30 games, in 91/92 season when we ended up finishing 7th in old Div 1.

41 points, so only 3 more than Gerrard. He was also on a run of 5 points from 8 games at that point, which turned into a run of 8 points from 12 games, with runs of 6 and 5 games without a win either side of a 1-0 home victory vs. an Oldham side that finished the season 17th. (Gerrard's biggest winless run is 5 games)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Had a look at Atkinson's first 30 games, in 91/92 season when we ended up finishing 7th in old Div 1.

41 points, so only 3 more than Gerrard. He was also on a run of 5 points from 8 games at that point, which turned into a run of 8 points from 12 games, with runs of 6 and 5 games without a win either side of a 1-0 home victory vs. an Oldham side that finished the season 17th. (Gerrard's biggest winless run is 5 games)

That season from 11/1 to 21/3, we played 11 games and scored 1 goal in total! I went to all the homes games that season. Then on 28/3 we beat Norwich 1-0 with a late goal (Staunton). I remember the relief 

Yet people remember Ron as free flowing attacking football! Just goes to show it can take time. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

I went to that game!

Iv'e been reading through and catching up. No mention how we managed to put 2 goals past Man City when it was a must win game for them. We played the game at pace (how we play best), an to be fair we controlled the game up to a point, so we have got it in us.

The big problem in that game, was fitness, we ran out of steam and they managed to score 3 in 5 minutes, which even from Man City, was too easy.

I'm hoping when they finally sack Gerrard, an they will, the next guy don't come here to learn his trade. It needs to be a manager with experience, we have zero excuse then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

The angry few who never accepted Dean Smith don't deserve posts like this.

They don't deserve to have explanations spoon fed to them.

They've decided the sky is green and no amount of evidence it's clearly blue will change their mind.

Pretty sad really. They don't want success for Villa. They want to be right.

Didn't think noses could get pushed any further out of joint after Smith rammed it round the other side of their face. Now they've thrown their weight behind the first available alternative to Smith. Sadly for them, it's a man not ready for a PL job.

But some can't see that regardless of the amount of evidence the sky may not be blue, have u seen the sky at night when there is no sun? 

Yes, there are some people that didn't want Deano, just like there are people that didn't want SG because of who he was as opposed to managerial ability. Just as the Sky isn't necessarily blue, neither Deano nor Gerrard may be the best managers for Villa. Each side of the debate has valid points to argue. It is not important to push noses further out of joint, it is about getting the best for Villa

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Erm… are you looking forward to a few thrashings in the next few games? Fixtures aren’t kind… it could get a lot worse… which is why I’d sooner make a change rather than inflict more damage on the team/players…

We need a major turnaround… some semblance of an effective set up and the right team selection. We can’t continue to have so much distance between players or vacate the midfield, badly need to tighten up… get those fullbacks to focus more on defending and let those midfielders and attackers create and build up play rather than covering for their forward forays… the problem is, SG hasn’t shown he can change his ways of learn from his mistakes… I’m still waiting…

We have to tighten up, sort ourselves out, keep the ball on the deck (keep a hold of it better and improve the build up) and become a lot more solid and harder to beat.

Otherwise, we are going to get destroyed and embarrassed… it won’t be pretty.

You're just guessing.
We have the players to win games in the PL! We improved 2nd half against Bolton. 
PL is unpredictable, One week you lose to palace, the next you're beating West Ham.
Look at the table since Gerrard took over right in 10th position.  

13 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

You're just guessing.
We have the players to win games in the PL! We improved 2nd half against Bolton. 
PL is unpredictable, One week you lose to palace, the next you're beating West Ham.
Look at the table since Gerrard took over right in 10th position.  

Hope you’re right mate, I just can’t see it. The indications are that we are going to struggle, it’s not just guessing (without any basis or reasoning).

I agree we have the players to get results but I don’t believe in the manager or even the coaches. I don’t see what our coaching team offers, it’s nowhere near good enough… 

You can’t take much from the Bolton game, a League One team who didn’t even put out their strongest team or GK (who really struggled). Despite that, we were absolutely awful in that first half. In the end, our superior individual quality told and Bolton tired and couldn’t keep up their intensity…

Our “tactics” and performances are a joke and need to be addressed asap. We’ve played the weakest teams and were thoroughly outclassed and comprehensively beaten by a midtable club in the last game. It makes sense to believe that superior teams will give us a much harder time…

It’d be ideal if we could have a major turnaround and start putting on positive performance and getting good results.

My hope continues to dwindle… I would love to be proved wrong.

I don’t like losing and seeing the players perform badly but something needs to change, otherwise the decline continues…

Edited by Jas10

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Why? I really don't understand why people think this

Because Gerrard is generally considered a fraud and a clown now. That reflects on the club and it's ability to hire competent people.

I really can't fathom people can't grasp that. 

If he is as disastrous as described, we are ****. 

29 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yes, there are some people that didn't want Deano

But then...Deano won 10 in a row, and got promoted, and stayed up, and got us to a cup final.

At that point...you say ah ok Deano has been good for us. I was wrong. Don't even have to say anything, just accept you were wrong, it's ok.

29 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Just like there are people that didn't want SG because of who he was as opposed to managerial ability.

I can't speak for them if they ever existed... but if we were top of the table now and looking like title contenders, playing great football every game. Anyone saying no Gerrard is shit would be wrong. And an idiot. And to be ignored.

The fact is we are playing poorly, look like one of the three worst teams in the league.

Frankly I think there's more that were happy with Gerrard that have now gone the other way based on what they've seen.

Anyone still saying nope, Gerrard is the man I would love to know why.

Do you have any thoughts? Not seen anything to change my mind this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daft said:

Because Gerrard is generally considered a fraud and a clown now. That reflects on the club and it's ability to hire competent people.

Gerrard is a disaster, but I still have faith we will I’ll learn from it 

1 minute ago, daft said:

We employed Deano and he successfully got us into the PL. A good appointment and he delivered what we wanted him to deliver. We tried a new manager and we took a risk on a rookie, if he doesn't work out we move on and try again. Nothing wrong with that. Do u think Spurs looked stupid for hiring Nuno for about 2 months. They then went and got one the the sport's elite managers at the top of his career

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Gerrard is a disaster, but I still have faith we will I’ll learn from it 

This is like me going 'yrah, I hired a programmer that actually don't know how to actually write code, but I'll learn!'

This is nothing short of a club ending disaster of he truly is as clueless as people claim.

And that is NOT just on Gerrard. That is dereliction of duty. 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

We employed Deano and he successfully got us into the PL. A good appointment and he delivered what we wanted him to deliver. We tried a new manager and we took a risk on a rookie, if he doesn't work out we move on and try again. Nothing wrong with that. Do u think Spurs looked stupid for hiring Nuno for about 2 months. They then went and got one the the sport's elite managers at the top of his career

No. If he truly is a fraud, we've been seriously had and the club must change or die. 

I mean wtf? It has been established throughout general consensus that Gerrard has close to no redeeming feature, is an absolutely clueless buffoon, and your reaction to his appointment is that it'll be fine as long as hes sacked? 

Really? Just do chance it and do it again?

3 minutes ago, daft said:

I mean wtf? It has been established throughout general consensus that Gerrard has close to no redeeming feature, is an absolutely clueless buffoon, and your reaction to his appointment is that it'll be fine as long as hes sacked? 

Really? Just do chance it and do it again?

You’re right. The owners should sell up, send Purslow to jail and Lange to the moon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

You’re right. The owners should sell up, send Purslow to jail and Lange to the moon. 

At the very least rip through every nook and cranny of this club and root out any lingering stench of whatever made them decide on this alleged clown as manager. 

Who the **** vetted his tactical philosophy? Analyzed his previous teams? 

Was Purslow the only one to interview? 

7 minutes ago, daft said:

This is like me going 'yrah, I hired a programmer that actually don't know how to actually write code, but I'll learn!'

This is nothing short of a club ending disaster of he truly is as clueless as people claim.

And that is NOT just on Gerrard. That is dereliction of duty. 

I disagree with that analogy. 

When we hired the programmer we knew and still know that he can code. He has a degree in Computer Science and he has worked as a coder for the last 2 years in a smaller company after doing his internship in a big company. However, we are now asking him to step up and manage a team of programmers in a big company with the knowledge that he hasn't got this experience but we are prepared to give him time to adapt as he was such a talented programmer in the small company. It is not dereliction of duty, it is called taking a calculated risk

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I disagree with that analogy. 

When we hired the programmer we knew and still know that he can code. He has a degree in Computer Science and he has worked as a coder for the last 2 years in a smaller company after doing his internship in a big company. However, we are now asking him to step up and manage a team of programmers in a big company with the knowledge that he hasn't got this experience but we are prepared to give him time to adapt as he was such a talented programmer in the small company. It is not dereliction of duty, it is called taking a calculated risk

So if he faked his degree and experience you just go 'oh well'?

Because that is implied with Gerrard. That he has NO CLUE, is a fraud. If I hired someone like that, I'd be put the door in a minute.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â