Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Given this forum, the other media I frequent and all the people I know socially, colleagues and people at the ground the confidence level in Gerrard is nowhere close to 94%

Seems far too high, Everton fans seem happier with Lampard than we do with Gerrard. 

Given Gerrard's mates in the media I wouldn't be surprised if those figures are purposefully misleading to make him look more popular than he is. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Seems far too high, Everton fans seem happier with Lampard than we do with Gerrard. 

Given Gerrard's mates in the media I wouldn't be surprised if those figures are purposefully misleading to make him look more popular than he is. 

Gerrard and Lampard are above Conte 😳😂😂😂

11 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Brilliant. So now his mates in the media are fudging the figures.

Funny how if this was showing Gerrard as 75%, it would be taken as gospel.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I already said a few comments up whether it was 6% or 94% the sample size is too small to take anything meaningful from it, so I think you assumption isn’t correct.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Anything11 said:

It is interesting that this is one of the main points I remember from the Gerrard documentary. He talks about getting into the first team as a kid and all he could think about was not letting the other guy get back in over him. This drove him to train and perform like he did.

I can see how this make take some adjusting to as from all appearances Deano had a much lighter touch.

If we rack up wins, it will be seen as genius. Of course, like most supporters, I wouldn't care if he uses magic wands or rose-milk showers if it gets results. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I already said a few comments up whether it was 6% or 94% the sample size is too small to take anything meaningful from it, so I think you assumption isn’t correct.

Yeah polling 100 randos is never going to give you anything remotely useful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

The turn around in two years, given Rangers' squad compared to Celtic was absolutely massive. 

To go from miles away to unbeaten in only two seasons was not "so long", it was remarkable.

How much money and what player turnover did that take?

He rebuilt a team, here he has a bloody decent squad, it’s whether he can get a tune out of it.  We cannot afford to fund Stevie G’s recruitment experiment, he has to utilise what he has

Edited by macandally
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

Nope, it would more reflect reality because there is no way on Earth 94% of Villa fans have confidence in Gerrard. Most of the arguments about this squad (on this forum and other Villa ones) are it is easily good enough for top 10, maybe even top 8, but it is held back by a rookie manager who is obsessed with playing an odd formation at the expense of the team.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Nope, it would more reflect reality because there is no way on Earth 94% of Villa fans have confidence in Gerrard. Most of the arguments about this squad (on this forum and other Villa ones) are it is easily good enough for top 10, maybe even top 8, but it is held back by a rookie manager who is obsessed with playing an odd formation at the expense of the team.

But that’s not what you said. Your post said “Given Gerrard's mates in the media I wouldn't be surprised if those figures are purposefully misleading to make him look more popular than he is. “

If he wins games he will be popular. That's all that matters.

If he doesn't win games then the fans will turn. Maybe as a Liverpool hero villa fans will turn marginally quicker. 

But the immoveable fact is that to retain and his popularity (and his job) he has to win games.

He's added a fair few players and had time with them. Now we get to see what he is made off.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

If he doesn't win games then the fans will turn. Maybe as a Liverpool hero villa fans will turn marginally quicker. 

But the immoveable fact is that to retain and his popularity (and his job) he has to win games.

He's added a fair few players and had time with them. Now we get to see what he is made off.

So far he has avoided the Houillier & Bruce mistakes (fawning over Liverpool / insulting fans intelligence respectively). I have high hopes he will keep his cool. But you are spot on. Its all about results now.

I do want to mention though he has already delivered in some areas. We are a still premier league club, that was not clear when Dean got sacked. We have brought in (and retained) several top players who have said he was a massive factor in them wanting to be here.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

So far he has avoided the Houillier & Bruce mistakes (fawning over Liverpool / insulting fans intelligence respectively). I have high hopes he will keep his cool. But you are spot on. Its all about results now.

I do want to mention though he has already delivered in some areas. We are a still premier league club, that was not clear when Dean got sacked. We have brought in (and retained) several top players who have said he was a massive factor in them wanting to be here.

Yep everything is in place. It's very much over to him now.

He knows and has pretty much said that.

• Like 1

Wasn’t sure where to put this but as Gerrard will have had a say here is a good a place as any. Fines list leaked.

Interesting the players use Snus.

1 hour ago, macandally said:

How much money and what player turnover did that take?

He rebuilt a team, here he has a bloody decent squad, it’s whether he can get a tune out of it.  We cannot afford to fund Stevie G’s recruitment experiment, he has to utilise what he has

His recruitment experiment seems bloody great to me, Coutinho, Digne, Kamara, Carlos Diego, Chambers, yep, I’m here for it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Rookie manager if season started when he took charge finished 9th… 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

His recruitment experiment seems bloody great to me, Coutinho, Digne, Kamara, Carlos Diego, Chambers, yep, I’m here for it. 

If you’d mentioned most of those names 12 months ago you would have been laughed at for being delusional.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

This. It seems like summer lasts precisely long enough for all the speculation and calculating and dreaming and politicking and arguing of supporters and media to hit Crescendo of Madness levels --- and then it just all ends with the first kick. 

• Like 1

Â