Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Zatman said:

Yep it's why I dont really take his comments serious after some of the lies last season

I can agree this was/is a valid frustration to be fair.

Let's hope with higher quality " options " available there will be a change.

I don't think they were " lies " at the time, probably just massive back tracking.

Remember a couple of times he said " I've spoken to a few of those players and I now have faith that we will see better from them " etc.

So in one sense also let down by the same players?

But yeah his fault for not sticking by his words.

• Like 1

I have to say when we appointed Gerrard I was excited by the prospect of it and totally willing to write off last season in the hope that he would have a bit of a shake-up in the summer to bring in players to play his system, and with a full pre-season we'd look like a different team. But to me it appears we haven't done that at all and I fear that we will suffer with all the same problems next season as we did last season. Though, the proof will be in the pudding but i'm not going into this season too optimistic tbh. 

• Like 4

The first two seasons at Rangers, so many times it was a mental frailty/belief issue that held them back. Collapsing and throwing away leads, not being streetwise enough.

Slowly over time, Gerrard totally changed that mentality. I can see signs of the same thing starting to happen at Villa now. 

14 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

The first two seasons at Rangers, so many times it was a mental frailty/belief issue that held them back. Collapsing and throwing away leads, not being streetwise enough.

Slowly over time, Gerrard totally changed that mentality. I can see signs of the same thing starting to happen at Villa now. 

Big difference between throwing away leads to Falkirk and Motherwell than to Brentford and Palace

Took him so long to fix it in Scotland was already a huge red flag

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Big difference between throwing away leads to Falkirk and Motherwell than to Brentford and Palace

Took him so long to fix it in Scotland was already a huge red flag

The turn around in two years, given Rangers' squad compared to Celtic was absolutely massive. 

To go from miles away to unbeaten in only two seasons was not "so long", it was remarkable.

• Like 2

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

The turn around in two years, given Rangers' squad compared to Celtic was absolutely massive. 

To go from miles away to unbeaten in only two seasons was not "so long", it was remarkable.

But the 13 teams that finished ahead of us wont be all sacking competent managers to hire Neil Lennon

Just now, Zatman said:

But the 13 teams that finished ahead of us wont be all sacking competent managers to hire Neil Lennon

At this stage, whatever anyone says you'll spin it to a negative to suit your rhetoric. 

So for that reason (in the words of Dragon's Den), I'm out!

• Like 3

Lots of talk about how boring Gerrard ball is. I think it can be quite exciting when the tempo is upped  Buendia often offers this and I think he get’s more out of Coutinho , I think Phil has a difficult job when it’s Ings and Watkins up front it nullifies his game with non existent outlets and lack of skill on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Tough to gauge mentality, but hopefully you're right and he's instilling something.

IMO when they eventually triumphed it was over a very bad Celtic side.

Are you the fella who has Rangers as a second side? I think Rangers improved after he left as well, but would be interested in what other Gers think. Friend of mine said they were pretty quickly much more flexible switching formations mid-game.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Yep it's why I dont really take his comments serious after some of the lies last season

Every manager does this though. They will always say one thing to the press and do another. It’s just media management, you don’t need to pay attention to them.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We need a big signing or new contract announcement to carry us over into the season... as I reckon boredom is partially why we are having the same arguments we've been having since last season. Lol

A big signing should give us at least a week of other things to argue about?

Aston Villa are pleased to announce John McGinn has signed a new five year deal :)

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Tough to gauge mentality, but hopefully you're right and he's instilling something.

IMO when they eventually triumphed it was over a very bad Celtic side.

Are you the fella who has Rangers as a second side? I think Rangers improved after he left as well, but would be interested in what other Gers think. Friend of mine said they were pretty quickly much more flexible switching formations mid-game.

For me, it mirrors his time at Rangers--can see similarities. It takes time to instil your demands and philosophy and for players to get fully on board with it.

That's correct, half my family are Villa (Dad's side) and other half (Mum's side) are Rangers. I think there was a dip when Gio first came in, but now he's had some time to change the squad to how he wants it, things are looking positive. 

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Every manager does this though. They will always say one thing to the press and do another. It’s just media management, you don’t need to pay attention to them.

I cant remember a manager promising a lot of changes after a poor performance and make just one with the next week being a bigger shit show

Not to mention the captaincy crap, his attitude towards Buendia in the media yet kept benching him and his crying that some of these players wont be here next season after Wolves....pretty sure none have been moved on

• Like 1

I am optimistic and am very much enjoying watching the building process. However, I do have an eye on the performance that hung around last season and popped up in the first half against United. It is not that we concede or lose but the sheer frailty with which we do so that is so hard to stomach.

I am wondering if it takes time to adjust to Gerrard himself. All the info about his intensity meant that a lot of people were quite intimidated by him in his career. I could see how when we first came in (the United highlights a few pages ago) everyone felt free'd from the end of Deanos reign but since then a lot of players have gone into their shell. I even recall Gerrard referencing this last season about wanting more of that mental toughness in the squad (with regard to living up to expectations). 

Edited by Anything11

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I cant remember a manager promising a lot of changes after a poor performance and make just one with the next week being a bigger shit show

Not to mention the captaincy crap, his attitude towards Buendia in the media yet kept benching him and his crying that some of these players wont be here next season after Wolves....pretty sure none have been moved on

The captaincy I don't mind. It is an important part of team building to go through this sort of process with a new management team sometimes.

Beundia I agree with however I can see where he could be frustrated by Emi's tendency to end up all over the pitch - but this is just a guess

As for the shit players - can't make people buy them.

Just now, Anything11 said:

As for the shit players - can't make people buy them.

Of course but these were the players he still played weekly. Think we had about 10 games left and still played same players. Was rotten man management like his captaincy comments

13 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I noted on Claret & Blue this week that @DanRolinson and Ashley Preece seem very keen on Gerrard's approach of having players "scrapping for shirts," ie, competing for spots on the squad. To the extent that some of this always happens everywhere, I'm not sure what the alternative would ever really be anyway? So it makes me wonder if it's more part of the mental game, a way of constructing a certain kind of image as a manager that, I guess, is supposed to keep players "on their toes" to remain on the pitch. But that sounds a little odd to me. I guess some players would like that and rise to the occasion, but it may be too simplistic in certain situations, too. I mean, surely certain matches might defy this framework's logic. I don't know. I guess I could imagine some locker-room problems if not implemented with just the right amount of positivity? Thoughts?????  And by the way,  I wouldn't even do this post if the "scrapping for shirts" paradigm wasn't discussed quite a bit. It's been in the news. It seems almost more of a message that Gerrard wants to telegraph to players without being too direct? 

It is interesting that this is one of the main points I remember from the Gerrard documentary. He talks about getting into the first team as a kid and all he could think about was not letting the other guy get back in over him. This drove him to train and perform like he did.

I can see how this make take some adjusting to as from all appearances Deano had a much lighter touch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I'm getting the impression from the last 2000 or so posts on the topic that Zatman doesn't rate Gerrard.

I am his biggest fan, deserves a new contract

• Haha 1

Â