Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

21 minutes ago, macandally said:

Oh to play at that tempo, all one touch and short sharp passing, what went wrong?

I’ve not watched the games in full, but we have shown the odd glimpses in pre season of little one twos like that. But it’s few and far between 

12 minutes ago, messi11 said:

If he continues to play Watkins and Ings upfront together he will lose his job early on just like Dean Smith did last season.
I hope he sees sense.

He tried it for one half of 4 pre season games. I think people are getting a bit carried away.

• Like 1

Love the way this thread has him sacked already, before preseason is even ended.

But I guess it’s what you would expect for such an uncommunicative manager. I heard some players say he hides in the toilets all match and lets McPhee do all the talking.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He tried it for one half of 4 pre season games. I think people are getting a bit carried away.

The first proper test we had, and we saw it plenty of times last season. The first half on Saturday was shocking and he has to take the blame for it. Ten Hags drilling United into his system and we’ve no idea what ours is going to be. I don’t think it’s great at all. At least there’s Rennes to put it right 

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

The first proper test we had, and we saw it plenty of times last season. The first half on Saturday was shocking and he has to take the blame for it. Ten Hags drilling United into his system and we’ve no idea what ours is going to be. I don’t think it’s great at all. At least there’s Rennes to put it right 

**** sake it’s preseason. **** the United game and in fact **** the Renne game too. They are friendlies! 

Worry if we are not winning games and are playing badly when it actually means something.

21 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Pre season or not, Gerrard put out what he thought was his best 11 on Saturday and it was dire. For 45 minutes. I’m not worried I just want to see that he’s learned from last season and we’re not going into games looking absolutely clueless. I don’t want the same stupid selections and mistakes repeating into this season which starts next week, but time will tell. 

Yup. For me the test is whether or not Gerrard will actually change. He has said he will. On this tour, several times he has called out people who have made a claim for the starting spot. I want to see him act on his words.

Buendia, Chambers, Bailey have all stepped up and should be starters. Its up to Gerrard to figure out how to make that happen and who to drop to accommodate them. My worry is he may continue to praise players but not start them. Thats not gonna be sustainable. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Pre season or not, Gerrard put out what he thought was his best 11 on Saturday 

Just out of interest, how do you know that? I don’t recall an interview or press release where he said “this is my best XI”. So what makes you so sure?

This is a preseason game where the convention is you swap personnel and maybe formations during the game. 

Preseason is a process of identifying who is looking sharpest and how the squad can play together in actual match conditions. 

And there is still one game to go so maybe we should wait to see what happens on Saturday before writing off the whole season and calling the manager clueless?*

(* Vain hope, I know.)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Just out of interest, how do you know that? I don’t recall an interview or press release where he said “this is my best XI”. So what makes you so sure?

This is a preseason game where the convention is you swap personnel and maybe formations during the game. 

Preseason is a process of identifying who is looking sharpest and how the squad can play together in actual match conditions. 

And there is still one game to go so maybe we should wait to see what happens on Saturday before writing off the whole season and calling the manager clueless?*

(* Vain hope, I know.)

It was man United who were on top form over pre season with their new manager, no way was he putting out an experimental side for the first 45 minutes for us to get embarrassed because he knew ten hag was going full strength. And I’m a fan of Gerrard but I have little faith in him at the moment that identifying who’s sharpest means anything because you can guarantee who’s starting regardless of who looks good or not. Maybe he was just experimenting, but I don’t think he was in that first half. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

(* Vain hope, I know.)

He said before the game that some players making a claim to start would be going from 45 mins to 60 mins. The fact that he made a bunch of changes at half time tells me (and the AVTV commentary team) that he was not happy with his starters.

I took it as a GOOD thing from Gerrard tbh. He realized things were not going well and changed it.

I love Gerrard my main criticism is I want to see him act more on what he tells us he is thinking about doing. Watkins and Ings are our contracted players for example but he has been far too shy to drop either or both. Why should they improve if they are gonna keep getting picked anyway?

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It was man United who were on top form over pre season with their new manager, no way was he putting out an experimental side for the first 45 minutes for us to get embarrassed because he knew ten hag was going full strength. And I’m a fan of Gerrard but I have little faith in him at the moment that identifying who’s sharpest means anything because you can guarantee who’s starting regardless of who looks good or not. Maybe he was just experimenting, but I don’t think he was in that first half. 

I think it might have been a " Final Team rehearsal ? As in, maybe close to the strongest lineup in his head, whilst giving players the chance to play themselves into, or out of it, after all, again, it's an audition for them.

Bare in mind Bailey started all matches before that I think, and not this one.

Also, I think people under estimate how difficult management probably is.

I have a feeling some of these players might be outstanding in training, then not so good in actual games, and vice versa.

Same for actual lineups and systems, opposition also has a say in this.

Even the best Managers will sometimes put a team out, then realise it's not working so have to make a tweak or changes, and the game changes with it 

There will be times when he puts out a team we don't like and we do well, and there will be times he puts out a team we all agree on, and it doesn't work.

Having said that, I agree with the sentiment that he simply can't make the same mistakes re personell as last season.

If/when he does make mistakes, you hope he is much more Pro active in rectifying it. I reckon/hope 5 subs will help this.

Let's see what we get with Rennes.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

A running theme of last season was him saying certain players were staking a claim for a starting place and rarely dropping underperforming players. All eyes on the Rennes starting XI now.

Yep it's why I dont really take his comments serious after some of the lies last season

• Like 3

Â