Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

The big difference I think we’ll see is Gerrard playing narrower, more compact, and pressing more aggressively.

Thing is, though, that usually means *more* injuries as the season wears on. The lack of depth in certain slots is going to be an issue. I hope we have a good January window, and I hope fans are patient with him if the injury crisis continues.

Teams switching to a high press definitely go through a muscle injury phase as players bodies get used to the demands.  As you mentioned we probably need a couple more 1st teamers if we are going to really up the tempo of our play. 

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

sorry, for being rude, not intentionally, but was you around, when Ron Saunders was manager?

He wasn't particularly a "warming to" kind a manager.....but in those days we won games a bit more regular than we do right now....so his personality took a back seat.

Oh SG will get performances alright.....you just need to get yourself primed for it.

Very different world these days though. Try a harsh approach with kids who are multi millionaires and they’d laugh at him. Try it with millennials in the office and they’ll quit and slap you with a lawsuit. The days of big scary bosses are heading the same way as Betamax. I don’t actually think Gerrard is the shouting and screaming type at all anyway so this is not a comment on him so will stop before it goes off topic!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Will reserve judgement but feel underwhelmed. We always seem to go cheap on managers.

One thing I think he will do is let certain players who have had too much influence and not produced, a quiet word to let them know that he will be in charge.

Just had a feeling a couple players were getting too big for their football boots.

I get what you're saying re " cheap " but I'm not sure that's the case here. Apparently he will be our highest ever paid coach, and will get a bumper transfer kitty.

I'm beginning to think they genuinely see him as a long ( ish? ) hauler.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Will reserve judgement but feel underwhelmed. We always seem to go cheap on managers.

One thing I think he will do is let certain players who have had too much influence and not produced, a quiet word to let them know that he will be in charge.

Just had a feeling a couple players were getting too big for their football boots.

Explain, please. Very interested, but no need to coyness, is there?

I'm no fan of this appointment, not one bit, but it seems he understands he'll have to prove his worth to be the gaffer at Plop one day, so he'll be busting his ass off to succeed here IMO because he doesn't want to end up like Lampard and not fit for the role if/when the chance arrives. That can only mean good things for us; he can't get poached by Plop if he's not worth poaching.

Welcome Gerrard. I hope you’re a raging success. 

Shame there’s been no Rangers fans come and join VT to give us some insight. Maybe they’re too bitter, which is a positive for us as they’re devastated to see him go. 

I’ll get behind him 100%. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCU said:

This is such a strange punt, even Gerrard won't believe his luck. He won't give a monkeys if it doesn't go well for him here, he'll get a pay off and end up somewhere like Norwich (respectively). He's managed one club in an arguably 2 team league (I know it's cliche but it's true) and off the top of my head Celtic haven't been as good in recent years, so it's quite timely Gerrard has won the league with Rangers. FYI as much as it sounds like it I'm not disregarding his achievments... fair play to him. But this is a different ball game. We've sacked Smith in the hope of getting someone in who can take us further which is Europe. And we go with Steven Gerrard. Hope he proves me wrong but I dunno.

Surely the last two words would suffice ?

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Very different world these days though. Try a harsh approach with kids who are multi millionaires and they’d laugh at him. Try it with millennials in the office and they’ll quit and slap you with a lawsuit. The days of big scary bosses are heading the same way as Betamax. I don’t actually think Gerrard is the shouting and screaming type at all anyway so this is not a comment on him so will stop before it goes off topic!

Demanding is not harsh, you have your wires ar crossed.

RS won the league with 14 players, hardly the sargeant major, some confuse him with, he was fiercely loyal to his players as SG is.....Ron was a deliberate, determined man like SG, didn't suffer fools.

The picture you are trying to paint, is wide of the mark....Ron made it clear what he wanted and got it....Ron was a big advocate of running, intensity and will....110% workrate, was his manta....SG has just presided over a season without losing a game, that takes, focus...don't matter what league you are in.

don't be surprised, if you see a bit of that in SG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Risso said:

Were you prepared to give Smith a chance when he replaced Bruce?  Bruce had numerous promotions to his name and a couple of 10th place finishes in the Premier League with Sunderland and Blues. Versus Dean Smith who'd never got anybody promoted and whose best league season was 9th in the Championship.

Yes, I did. Smith landed his dream job, and at the time it was a sensible appointment. Gerrard is friends with Purslow and wants to manage liverpool, as his bf Carragher keeps telling you. This is just a stepping stone for him, and I don't like it.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Welcome Gerrard. I hope you’re a raging success. 

Shame there’s been no Rangers fans come and join VT to give us some insight. Maybe they’re too bitter, which is a positive for us as they’re devastated to see him go. 

I’ll get behind him 100%. 

If their forum is anything to go by it’s a blessing!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

one of the things I am looking forward to changing.

19 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Love that video. Do we even need Gerrard?  :)

That’s a great video. I thought it was interesting early in the video that he said he was going to talk about coaching and not managing. So there’s obviously a clear difference and in our case he’ll be the head coach and SG the manager so yes we need both! 😀

3 minutes ago, momo said:

Yes, I did. Smith landed his dream job, and at the time it was a sensible appointment. Gerrard is friends with Purslow and wants to manage liverpool, as his bf Carragher keeps telling you. This is just a stepping stone for him, and I don't like it.

Looks like he is planning for a lot of work, to be a stepping stone.....what football job is for life?.....SAF and Wenger, were exceptions.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â