Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

We’re now managed by a bin-dipper who once punched a DJ for not playing Phil Collins and some people are besides themselves with rage.

Just Another Day in Paradise on VT. 

I'm sure he'll win the fans over Against All Odds. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, jim said:

Big Ron, Saunders as well. 

I knew Saunders was which was the initial point of my post. Didn’t know big Ron was from that way on. Anyway let’s hope Gerrard can continue the previous trend of Merseyside’s bringing silverware and exciting football to villa park. 

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Our public profile has skyrocketed inside one day.

i just noticed Gerrard had 10 million Instagram followers, i mean...yikes....Aston Villa only has 1.3m....yikes!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

21 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm beginning to believe that this appointment is a good fit for Villa.

We desperately need a coaching upgrade and I think Michael Beale will be the man for that.

Our squad need to be shaken out of the comfortable complacency that has reduced both effort and efficiency on match days. I think Gerard and McAllister can definitely get these guys back on their toes.

We don't look anywhere near fit enough and we sustain a lot of training ground and match day injuries. Let's see what effect Jordan Milsom can have in that department. Training has to hurt but not harm.

I've been concerned about Austin McPhee's impact on our play, as we now hoof the ball a lot more to try to get more throw ins and corners. Tom Culshaw will hopefully be a lot less strident and more cultured.

If nothing else our football and results over the last calendar year have clearly shown us that we need an upgrade in all coaching areas.

We also need better use of our best players on Match days and this is where Gerard needs to stand no nonsense about who likes this position but doesn't fancy playing there etc.

I believe he has the strength of personality and gravitas to impose his will on the players. They have to be aware that only 100% application and effort will be acceptable.

You can argue about whether Dean was too nice or had reached his ceiling, or whether the players stopped listening to him and cost him his job, but something had to change.

Whatever the reasons for our current loss of form, confidence and the ensuing slide, Gerard and his coaching team may well be the right fit for Villa at this moment in time.

Great post, this is where I’m trying to get my head space to…I have 9 days to get my head around it and I will.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Well, as expected Gerrard is the new boss. I was a bit ambivalent when I first heard his name mentioned but now I have warmed to it a bit. I'll still say I was gutted Smith was sacked and think he should have been given more time but thats water under under the bridge now. Gerrard has my backing 100%

What I like about him is that he seems to have that aggressive streak, that perhaps we have lacked from a manager for a while. He was a fantastic player and he is a 'big name' in terms of football. A lot of young players playing today will have grown up idolising him. He may give us a slightly better edge in attracting players. 

He's done a very good job at Rangers over the last 3 years and their season last year was excellent. Plus he plays the formation that suits us best. He should hopefully sort out our midfield and make us more dynamic in there. He also must have been sold the vision by the board, which means there will be plenty of money to invest and improve us. 

I'm not that fussed about the Liverpool thing. If he gets to a position whereby he is offered the job then he would have done an excellent job here and would leave us in a much better position, so thats not a problem for me. 

I hope he doesn't change too much in terms of the academy. That seems to work really well at the moment. I also hope he keeps Cutler on as well as he's very highly regarded. 

Interesting times ahead. We'll certainly have more of a 'profile' now. 

UTV

just one good enough reason to be excited.

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Gerrard to villa will definitely raise our profile. 

And that was probably necessary.

Going to the next level is about results but it's also about building the brand, attracting new fans. And Gerrard will help us do that.

Rightly or wrongly, Dean Smith just isn't an attractive name in terms of raising the profile.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 3

I am constantly surprised at the negativity and maybe I shouldn’t be?

it’s the easiest thing in the world to be a naysayer…..just say something won’t happen/will go wrong and then sit back and wait for something to actually go wrong (generally a good chance of that happening in football! so no real risk….)

ohh look at me I’m so clever……  “told you so it was never going to work”

All this hope I’m wrong rubbish too…

18 minutes ago, momo said:

Overpaying for an inexperienced manager in the hope that he will do good, is a very rich, but still small club mentality. A big club would have hired the right manager. I believe Smith is hundred times the manager this guy is. I don't like what's happened, and that's my opinion. I don't give a shit about what any of you think about my opinion.

its an opinion, cherish it.

15 minutes ago, momo said:

Overpaying for an inexperienced manager in the hope that he will do good, is a very rich, but still small club mentality. A big club would have hired the right manager. I believe Smith is hundred times the manager this guy is. I don't like what's happened, and that's my opinion. I don't give a shit about what any of you think about my opinion.

“A big club would have hired the right manager” 

Total gold, keep em coming. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I knew Saunders was which was the initial point of my post. Didn’t know big Ron was from that way on. Anyway let’s hope Gerrard can continue the previous trend of Merseyside’s bringing silverware and exciting football to villa park. 

Joe Mercer was too....Ellesmere port.....Doug Ellis too.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â