Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes that's the glimmer for me.

I wonder GMAC has never got a managers job in his own right ?

He was Leeds manager when they were in league 1, but only lasted about 12 months

Edited by Mozzavfc

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Football is a funny game. Imagine going back 11 years and telling your past self that we'd be managed by Steven Gerrard instead of Gerard Houllier but that Gary Mac and Ashley Young would still be around.

Not to mention Young technically wouldn't still be around, he'd have been gone for 10 years, winning a bucket load of trophies, including in Italy. Or that Houllier is no longer with us.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed on both. But my point was the incessant criticism regardless of results. I hope he doesn't get the same.  

No Manager should, but they do.

5 hours ago, Mazrim said:

OK, here's my tuppence. All in all, I'm not totally sure how this will go down but I do understand the decision. I know many of the candidates would not have worked. I can t east say with Gerrard, I don't know.

- He's our manager and I'm totally behind him. All I ask is measurable, demonstrable improvement, some semblance of planning and forethought, some compose and awareness on the pitch.

- I do not give a flying toss about his connections to another club. It is of no consequence to me. He's a Villa man now until he isn't. I do respect that he gave everything to that club though. It shows loyalty and character. I'm a Villa fan. I don't require the manager to be one too, however nice that is. I just want them to do their job. Villa's success is all that matters. If one day Gerrard moves on and it's considered upwards, it means he's done a good job here. Fine.

- I've always though he was honest, frank, astute and aware of the game based on his interviews. He's certainly no fool and no bullshitter. We'll know his honest thoughts and so will the players. He's a bit dour but I'd rather he was effective than entertaining.

- He's a big name in the game. The players will not question him as I think they might have with Smith. He is a winner. That cannot be denied. He's been a leader on and now off the pitch. Let's see how the players react. But there's only one winner here and the players had better shape up.

- This show guts from Gerrard. We're a team that have had a rough preseason and have a squad that needs work, still a month and a half away from what is always a difficult month to buy players. He could have waited for a more stable job and a summer of planning. He didn't. He's gone all in with a pair of 10s and I admire that. This confidence will serve him well.

I understand the trepidation as we're talking about a guy just starting to make his way through management. However, that start has been fantastic so I choose to be optimistic.
He hasn't managed in the Premier league but he played his entire career in it. It hasn't changed that much. He obviously feels up to it so lets see what he can do.

So yeah, bring it on. It definitely wasn't working and had to change and this is where we are.
Best of luck Steve.

Nailed it!!! Post of the last few days Max. Agree with every word. Well articulated and has me up for it. He's OURS now, so as you say get totally behind him and lets see what he brings (definitely a pair of balls for sure) UTV

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yeah, sacking a manager who had been successful because you crave bigger success, pursuing and securing a highly rated young manager and paying several million to get him and his staff out of their contract. Oh and no doubt agreeing to give him substantial financial backing in the transfer market.

You mean that small club mentality?

Bloody ridiculous. Whatever people think about the rights or wrongs of Smith going or hiring Gerrard it is utter nonsense to describe it as small club mentality. 

Overpaying for an inexperienced manager in the hope that he will do good, is a very rich, but still small club mentality. A big club would have hired the right manager. I believe Smith is hundred times the manager this guy is. I don't like what's happened, and that's my opinion. I don't give a shit about what any of you think about my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It’s bizarre what football does to people. 

Newcastle have just been taken over by one the most tyrannical, oppressive regimes in the world and much of their fan base has been dancing in the streets in celebration. 

We’re now managed by a bin-dipper who once punched a DJ for not playing Phil Collins and some people are besides themselves with rage.

From a footballing point of view I get the apprehension, I’m apprehensive too. But some of the hatred towards Gerrard is just plain irrational. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Give it a rest DC, it's a new era!

Brilliant. Makes something up to get a reaction. Gets the reaction. Then this. 

Never change  

I'm very excited for the new era. I'm looking forward to some positivity towards the club and manager. 

22 minutes ago, MCU said:

This is such a strange punt, even Gerrard won't believe his luck. He won't give a monkeys if it doesn't go well for him here, he'll get a pay off and end up somewhere like Norwich (respectively). He's managed one club in an arguably 2 team league (I know it's cliche but it's true) and off the top of my head Celtic haven't been as good in recent years, so it's quite timely Gerrard has won the league with Rangers. FYI as much as it sounds like it I'm not disregarding his achievments... fair play to him. But this is a different ball game. We've sacked Smith in the hope of getting someone in who can take us further which is Europe. And we go with Steven Gerrard. Hope he proves me wrong but I dunno.

How long have you known him mate? Do a bit of research into how he and his team have managed rangers the last three seasons. There’s plenty available. This is a risk for both parties

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

well, when I think of Remi, Garde, Tim Sherwood, Paul Lambert etc.....I am not so sure, they were pretty low ball opportunities.

Villa in theory is a huge job, Dean to his credit has turned it in to a bigger job, than when he took it, so huge credit there......I would say a good fit for both right now.

Villa in a different position ambition, structurally and most importantly ownership wise than when recruiting for those other managers.  This is a great job for Gerrard, hopefully our risk pays off appointing him and will make it worthwhile for us as well.  As Carragher his mate said, Gerrard has got the better deal here.  Now time for him to take this opportunity and do something great with it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm beginning to believe that this appointment is a good fit for Villa.

We desperately need a coaching upgrade and I think Michael Beale will be the man for that.

Our squad need to be shaken out of the comfortable complacency that has reduced both effort and efficiency on match days. I think Gerard and McAllister can definitely get these guys back on their toes.

We don't look anywhere near fit enough and we sustain a lot of training ground and match day injuries. Let's see what effect Jordan Milsom can have in that department. Training has to hurt but not harm.

I've been concerned about Austin McPhee's impact on our play, as we now hoof the ball a lot more to try to get more throw ins and corners. Tom Culshaw will hopefully be a lot less strident and more cultured.

If nothing else our football and results over the last calendar year have clearly shown us that we need an upgrade in all coaching areas.

We also need better use of our best players on Match days and this is where Gerard needs to stand no nonsense about who likes this position but doesn't fancy playing there etc.

I believe he has the strength of personality and gravitas to impose his will on the players. They have to be aware that only 100% application and effort will be acceptable.

You can argue about whether Dean was too nice or had reached his ceiling, or whether the players stopped listening to him and cost him his job, but something had to change.

Whatever the reasons for our current loss of form, confidence and the ensuing slide, Gerard and his coaching team may well be the right fit for Villa at this moment in time.

110%

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Villa in a different position ambition, structurally and most importantly ownership wise than when recruiting for those other managers.  This is a great job for Gerrard, hopefully our risk pays off appointing him and will make it worthwhile for us as well.  As Carragher his mate said, Gerrard has got the better deal here.  Now time for him to take this opportunity and do something great with it.

Most pundits seem to think it is a deal that suits both parties.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â