Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure what that's got to do with my point.

it was kinda reminding that it wasn't personal, Dean going, SG will go the same way, if he manages to get as many defeats.

your point took a swipe at nit picking,Dean but is was results that was the issue....and it will be with SG.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes that's the glimmer for me.

I wonder GMAC has never got a managers job in his own right ?

Managed Coventry and Leeds

This is such a strange punt, even Gerrard won't believe his luck. He won't give a monkeys if it doesn't go well for him here, he'll get a pay off and end up somewhere like Norwich (respectively). He's managed one club in an arguably 2 team league (I know it's cliche but it's true) and off the top of my head Celtic haven't been as good in recent years, so it's quite timely Gerrard has won the league with Rangers. FYI as much as it sounds like it I'm not disregarding his achievments... fair play to him. But this is a different ball game. We've sacked Smith in the hope of getting someone in who can take us further which is Europe. And we go with Steven Gerrard. Hope he proves me wrong but I dunno.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

not sure what to make of it, bit apathetic if im honest

didnt want smith to get sacked but understand why he was, didnt have a favourite or any real stand out candidate to replace him, not a clue what he brings or what he will do

i actually feel a bit out of touch over this

Exactly how I feel. 

obviously want him to prove me wrong but I’m not blown away by the appointment. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Amazing lack of self awareness from a small group who did nothing but criticise the last manager for years over every little thing he did. 

I really hope Gerrard gets full support from the off. He deserves it and he deserves patience in the near future. 

He will be judged on results and performances just the same as any other manager 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Even the most optimistic Villa fan would have to admit this is a slightly better deal for Gerrard than for Villa.  Villa would have equally qualified candidates to choose from whereas Gerrard won’t get a better opportunity than Villa at this point in time (that includes Newcastle).  I reckon Gerrard couldn’t get his coat quick enough to take this job.

This is nothing to do with my feelings on the matter but this is a huge opportunity for Gerrard at this point in his career.  For Villa we would have options, this is a coup for Gerrard more so than a coup for Villa.

well, when I think of Remi, Garde, Tim Sherwood, Paul Lambert etc.....I am not so sure, they were pretty low ball opportunities.

Villa in theory is a huge job, Dean to his credit has turned it in to a bigger job, than when he took it, so huge credit there......I would say a good fit for both right now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MCU said:

This is such a strange punt, even Gerrard won't believe his luck. He won't give a monkeys if it doesn't go well for him here, he'll get a pay off and end up somewhere like Norwich (respectively). He's managed one club in an arguably 2 team league (I know it's cliche but it's true) and off the top of my head Celtic haven't been as good in recent years, so it's quite timely Gerrard has won the league with Rangers. FYI as much as it sounds like it I'm not disregarding his achievments... fair play to him. But this is a different ball game. We've sacked Smith in the hope of getting someone in who can take us further which is Europe. And we go with Steven Gerrard. Hope he proves me wrong but I dunno.

I think he will chap. He's an ex player with a huge ego and reputation to withhold, a true winner. He will want to do the best of his ability and I doubt would want to end up managing a team like Norwich. Imagine him turning us around to a top 8, top 6 team, I'm sure he understands what that would do for his credibility within the Prem

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

it was kinda reminding that it wasn't personal, Dean going, SG will go the same way, if he manages to get as many defeats.

your point took a swipe at nit picking,Dean but is was results that was the issue....and it will be with SG.

Agreed on both. But my point was the incessant criticism regardless of results. I hope he doesn't get the same.  

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

All I know is the board and Purslow have not signed Gerrard to finish midtable every season, Smith probably could have managed that!

Well yeah. Again, not sure how that links to your made up inference when you said 'perish the thought of finishing above midtable' 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â