25 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we have a long way to go, but this should tell us all we need for now:

Under Gerrard - 2021/22 - game week 12 to 30:

image.png.d79b58bbb365aaa342f7c9631ea972b7.png

Under Smith: (2021/22 - game week 1 to 11):

image.png.46f522d96fe84dfd5c11ad6478b1ae30.png

Under Smith - 2020/21 - Game week 18 to 38:

image.png.b0195008797ee5187da4eeaa644ef0f8.png

21 games, 26 points in that bottom table. With spurs at home and Leicester away next up I think that top table is likely to read 21 games, 26 points in a couple of weeks time.

I just don’t see any real improvement. We were a patchy mid table team under smith and are a patchy mid table team under Gerrard.

The only thing that has changed for me is that we looked like we had a plan for the majority of Smith’s time at the club. Now we look devoid of any ideas and set to overhaul the squad again in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we have a long way to go, but this should tell us all we need for now:

Under Gerrard - 2021/22 - game week 12 to 30:

image.png.d79b58bbb365aaa342f7c9631ea972b7.png

Under Smith: (2021/22 - game week 1 to 11):

image.png.46f522d96fe84dfd5c11ad6478b1ae30.png

Under Smith - 2020/21 - Game week 18 to 38:

image.png.b0195008797ee5187da4eeaa644ef0f8.png

What is it supposed to tell us?

1) Smith 20/21 final 21 games 26 points

2) Smith 21/22 first 11 games 10 points

3) Gerrard 21/22 first 6 games 12 points

4) Gerrard 21/22 last 13 games 14 points

1,2,4 are iffy…3 is a new manager bounce?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Today was the first time under Gerrard where I thought they looked badly coached. 

first time you watched villa play under Gerrard then?

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Really ?

I think a good whack of players - would go for more than we paid.

Konsa, Ming's, Cash, Mcginn, Watkins, Martinez

Sure theres been a few duds too - but given many arrived after a surprise promotion and we were forced to assemble a squad in a few weeks. I ve know poorer periods in a transfer history.

IMO the transfer business was mostly good from promotion and through the summer of 2020. The team gradually strengthened and also performed much better 20/21 than the previous season.

The question marks for me are from the end of 2020 and going forward, which coincides with Lange’s appointment though I’m not sure he’s to blame. The board seems to have become a bit impatient and not content with gradual improvement, so we have begun looking for players who have come further in their development.

33 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Today was the first time under Gerrard where I thought they looked badly coached. 

I suppose the easy thing for him to say that there was a lack of coaching time with them into the build up to this match due to the internationals, which is fair enough. 

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

After looking at the fixture list, I realise it's best to probably avoid this thread till season's end.

He'll get at least a pre season and half next season for me.

Yes there have been some shite performances, but the reluctance to consider ALL the mitigating factors are frustrating.

The problem is, he is already disliked by a chunk so unless things go exceedingly well these pages are going to be painful reading.

Don't get me wrong , there are things I don't like as well, and a couple of worries I consider, but I'm ok to take an unbiased look at the circumstances as a whole for now at least.

* Note, we aren't playing shite teams, and most the squad is the same.

Isnt that the problem. Would you give Remi Garde pre season in similar circumstances? 

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

This is a complete shambles......

The change hasn't worked, the formation doesn't work, they don't look well coached or motivated.

Win 3 games in a row against his preferred system, lose 3 when he brings it back

Him and his brains Beale are clowns if thats the case

He has many defenders but what has he done since he arrived that Dean Smith didnt do. 

I dont think Dean Smith was the man to bring us to the Champions League for example but he is more qualified than this clown

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We spent 300 mill and then did this?

It wasn't £300m I don't think, but it was over £100m.

And yes it was really stupid to sack the manager that bought them and bring in a guy who plays no wingers when we'd just bought two for £65m.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However, this is where the club and recruitment team need to come in with the longer term strategy for the CLUB.

Ridiculous requests should obviously be vetoed.

Yes. I have large concerns Gerrard will be overruling everyone to sign players like Coutinho and Suarez and Gomez.

• Like 1

Gerrard desperately needs to get to the end of the season and amass at least another 8-10 points in the process. Nobody is expecting us to finish any higher than 9th, but he needs a base to work off of next season and that requires having the fans on side. The fans will start to turn if this losing streak continues and then the whole atmosphere around the club is different. Even a 12th place finish wouldn’t be so bad, we just have to arrest this current run of form. 

He’s going to be backed this Summer. I think you’ll see huge changes in the playing squad with the likes of Targett, Traore, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Davis etc. moving on and you’ll see some more high profile exits like Luiz and McGinn. I think the club will give him the tools to try to achieve his way of playing. 

I hope we move away from this system of playing two number 10’s and relying on the fullbacks for all the width. I much preferred Smiths 4-2-3-1 formation - we just didn’t have the personnel to play it (no defensive midfielders). 

• Like 2

My problem with gerrards football (apart from the shambles at the back) is why is it when we get close to the opponents box we attempt 20 passes before going for a shot? It constantly slows play down and creates less space for us and the opposition has got all their players back making it difficult. 

8 hours ago, messi11 said:

How dare he blame the players. He threw them under the bus yet again today, I'm not liking this kind of management. 
This is something you should do in private not public.

Why does he keep playing out of form players like Mcginn? His favourites are nailed! 

Why can’t he throw them under the bus though?

If I’m a player and I get thrown under the bus publicly it’s going to make me question myself and try to perform better, I’m all for it, play crap and you get called out for it, they earn enough. 

8 hours ago, hippo said:

I agree there has been / is an agenda against him from day 1. It was always a divisive appointment - but doesn't that also mean it was an unwise appointment.

Possibly… though never more unwise then Mcleish 😂

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â