Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Saying it without addressing it holds very little value.

I’m sure we’ll address it in the transfer market this month, I don’t think Steve can press click continue and buy his targets instantly like Football manager or fifa

Amazing work there Stevie. I bet you it was your idea and all.

"Hey Christian, Johan. Do you know my mate Philippe Coutinho, we used to play together at Liverpool? I was chatting to him at the weekend, would it be ok if he came to play here?

This is not a criticism of anybody, but a reflection on football....

There is no way we sign Coutinho if Smith is still our manager.
Is it really the case that Aston Villa F.C. is less of a draw (or less important) than the manager?
Kinda makes me a little sad. 

Couple of things:

Brian Little had a horrible beginning to his management at Villa.  We just managed to stay up.  He then had the summer to properly implement his style of football and we took off.  Feel it could be the same with Gerrard minus the relegation battle.

As for Gerrard.  I didnt like him as a player at all.   Felt he was too selfish despite all his skills.  BUT I didnt like Terry before he arrived at Villa and he was great for us.    Im not basing my views now on Gerrard as a player as he never played for us, I base my thoughts on Gerrard as a Manager.

But as a Manager that Selfish desire to win is exactly what we need.  I really like Deano but he doesnt come across as driven and determined as Gerrard.

Gerrard in a way reminds me of Ron Saunders.   Driven, single minded, my way or piss off and doesnt take any shit.   People might forget but Ron had failed at Man City before he came in at Villa.   Villa was his 3rd club in three Seasons, Norwich being the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Fair play to Gerrard if he can pull players like Coutinho!

This isnt being nasty, but no way this would have happened under Smith.

Part of the reason I've been banging on the high profile manager drum for over a year

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

Is it really the case that Aston Villa F.C. is less of a draw (or less important) than the manager?

I think it's more to do with their relationship rather than his status. We signed Buendia over arsenal, and ings and bailey before Gerrard who are massive signings

2 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

I think the world has changed. If you now have the value of a big club and a big name, you can really do something.

Dean Smith can't signed Coutinho, similarly Steven Gerrard can't sign him if he's managing a lesser club than ours.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

True, but there’s also no way we sign Coutinho if Martinez and Douglas Luiz haven’t broken into their national teams.

It’s all pieces in a jigsaw. Gerrard has made this one happen, but other people played their part too.

There’s also no way Coutinho considers this move if he didn’t play with Gerrard.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Part of the reason I've been banging on the high profile manager drum for over a year

The manager is just part of the jigsaw though. The high profile manager approach hasn't worked for Everton as they are toxic behind the scenes. 

You need good owners, good staff, big name manager, good facilities, the right attitude/culture throughout the club, etc. 

It's starting to click into place. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â