Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

12 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Seriously, he's had a few days to work with the squad, granted not very long, but I saw nothing to suggest keeping possession was any part of the game plan.

I thought we were awful in possession for the vast majority of that game.

He's got a lot of work to do and I hope he manages to have us playing like peak Barca. But if today was an indication of a week of possession coaching it's not looking too clever.

Pressing was better in parts clearly.

Fingers crossed.

I don't disagree that we didn't look like the finished product and that there's a lot of work to do; if that's how we play in a year, I think we have a problem, but I saw enough improvements to our intent, desire for the ball, and how solid our shape was that I'm pretty happy tbh. There were internationals on Monday and Tuesday night so howe many training sessions has he had with a full squad. 3 at best? Probably 2? Give it time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes he did say “ I want us to become a possession based team” Key Word Become! You don’t become over night, first and foremost stop the rot which he did

He even said, how long that takes, time will tell.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

we looked more organised and motivated, but still fairly toothless and poor in possession until the subs and the goal then with a bit of confidence we looked a different team.

for all the w*nking over Brighton's possession by the commentary all the did was try and bore us to death.

Absolutely agree. It was thee epitome of anti-football from them. Bored me out of my brain. We might not have been great but at least we looked to go forward whenever we could. They were shocking.

He is used to a huge crowd with expectations at Liverpool and rangers. 

The pressure won't faze him.

He is a winner. 

Great knowledge of the game and brilliant coaches around him. 

We're in good hands. 

This is the second chapter in the NSWE reign. Time to go to the next level. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think one thing that was seriously noticeable in the Holte in the first half was Brighton's shape compared to ours. They hugged the touchline embraced the whole pitch and had great shape. First half we looked a mess after the 15min. There is much for Gerrard to improve on which is in a sense positive. We won looking crap for large parts of the game. Not bad at all. 

• Like 1

I noticed that when we first kicked off we didn't just pass it back to the defenders and lump it up field. Obviously it'll take time for Gerrard to get the team playing how he wants them to but there was definitely an improvement even today.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its disappointing if mcginn and Mings, 2 senior pros and key players for us look better after 3 training sessions

Is that Gerrard or is that them phoning it in and underperforming for Smith? I'm leaning to towards the latter 

Maybe they have responded to different coaching methods and the way Steven wants us to play? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I think one thing that was seriously noticeable in the Holte in the first half was Brighton's shape compared to ours. They hugged the touchline embraced the whole pitch and had great shape. First half we looked a mess after the 15min. There is much for Gerrard to improve on which is in a sense positive. We won looking crap for large parts of the game. Not bad at all. 

There is . But there is also much to celebrate. Keeping the opposition down to about 6 shots in total compared to what normally happens was great. We played narrow to keep shape . They are 12 months further on in their evolutuon are Brighton. 200 training sessions further on. 

I have no fear whatsoever after watching that Gerrard will transform us tactically and mentally. He knows toe to toe football comes once you are comfortable in the system. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jim said:

Maybe they have responded to different coaching methods and the way Steven wants us to play? 

We were playing long balls and pulis esque shit housery long throws. 

No wonder they were fed up. 

Tactics was embarrassing to watch if I am being honest. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Seriously, he's had a few days to work with the squad, granted not very long, but I saw nothing to suggest keeping possession was any part of the game plan.

I thought we were awful in possession for the vast majority of that game.

He's got a lot of work to do and I hope he manages to have us playing like peak Barca. But if today was an indication of a week of possession coaching it's not looking too clever.

Pressing was better in parts clearly.

Fingers crossed.

matey mato mate.

Gerrard didnt say he would make us a possession based side now, he specifically said "i plan for us to progress to being a possession based side, but when we can do that, time will tell".

aka: he knows we dont have the players to do it right now, but was stating his aims going forward, so hopefully Jan will be an interesting window for us and we can get some players who can pass 5 yards.

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised.

We barely gave Brighton a sniff. Sure they farted about with the ball but we kept them where we wanted them.

Got his subs right - Ashley young did some unsung work for the first goal.

Spoke well after the game. Main thing for me was how solid we looked in defence because of the late goals bagged us 3 points rather than being consolation goals..

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I noticed that when we first kicked off we didn't just pass it back to the defenders and lump it up field. Obviously it'll take time for Gerrard to get the team playing how he wants them to but there was definitely an improvement even today.

That pleased me so much, it's wound me up for ages.

It's simply illogical ffs.

It seems like a small thing but it makes no sense!

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â