Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd have sacked him in his first season, and I was laughed at. Then we saw exactly the same shit in pre season and I remember some of us being called hysterical for pointing out how dire we were in those friendlies. Then Bournemouth came around and yeah, exactly the same shit. I knew we couldn't sack him on day 1 of the season, but the writing was on the wall at the point, for me. It was a matter of time. 

My take on the Bournemouth game was simply "not one of their players gets into our first 11, but they played us off the pitch". In hindsight I'm glad things played out as they did so we got Emery, but I'd have let him find his own way home from Bournemouth. 

They completely schooled us. This was a team that Scott Parker, their own manager, said weren't good enough lol. There was no belief at that club but you would think these were gunning for top 4 the way they played that day.

• Like 1

I always wondered what the club was thinking when appointing Gerrard, but at least now more clubs are doing the same risky/stupid appointments, Liverpool, Chelsea, Plymouth and Bayern. There is always the possibility that one of them win the manager lottery, but I expect the majority will be looking for a new manager mid season. 

20 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That was my breaking point too. He had an entire fabled preseason and we looked just as bad as the end of the previous season despite technically being unbeaten. Dropping Ty and the whole look me in the eye garbage, yeah he had to go right then 

yeah all that together was the breaking point for me but it was the days leading up to it too:

made mcginn captain - didn't agree, but not raging at this point.

he then went on to make emi vice captain. i'm ok fine with that.

but then, in a move i've not seen before or since at either villa or any other club, announced a vice-vice captain...the new signing diego carlos...just walked in the door, can't speak a word of english, and the player that some suggested might take ty's place.

and then doubling and tripling down by dropping ty, and the comment you just referenced, i've never seen such a seemingly unprovoked attack on a player before. he really had it in for ty and it blew up in his face massively. at that time. mings had his critics on here and social media, which i honestly believe gerrard assumed represented the fanbase as a whole...and it didn't. he totally underestimated the level of mings' support and it was the beginning of the end for him

i've been pissed off at results before, but that bournemouth game was something else. i've never felt such rage before following a villa defeat before.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'd have sacked him in his first season, and I was laughed at. Then we saw exactly the same shit in pre season and I remember some of us being called hysterical for pointing out how dire we were in those friendlies. Then Bournemouth came around and yeah, exactly the same shit. I knew we couldn't sack him on day 1 of the season, but the writing was on the wall at the point, for me. It was a matter of time. 

My take on the Bournemouth game was simply "not one of their players gets into our first 11, but they played us off the pitch". In hindsight I'm glad things played out as they did so we got Emery, but I'd have let him find his own way home from Bournemouth. 

I forget the Aussie team we played but they looked the Premier League team compared to us

People called hysterical and same performance 2 weeks later vs Bournemouth

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching the 03/04 final game of the season on Sky when Chelsea won to secure top 4 and the rest was history.

Anyway,  2-1 down with 5 minutes left Gerrard has an 80/20 in his favour and instead decides to just try and snap Le Saux's knee.

Horrific challenge. Pre meditated and at a point where his team really needed him. It's all about him isn't it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Just watching the 03/04 final game of the season on Sky when Chelsea won to secure top 4 and the rest was history.

Anyway,  2-1 down with 5 minutes left Gerrard has an 80/20 in his favour and instead decides to just try and snap Le Saux's knee.

Horrific challenge. Pre meditated and at a point where his team really needed him. It's all about him isn't it.

No doubt he had a lot of ability. Proper athlete and had more than most technically.

He'd still be very good, but I think he'd struggle to have the same impact in modern football though. In a team game. A tactical game.

Edited by Tomaszk

57 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No doubt he had a lot of ability. Proper athlete and had more than most technically.

He'd still be very good, but I think he'd struggle to have the same impact in modern football though. In a team game. A tactical game.

He was pure PL, did everything at 100mph, smashed shots in, crunching tackles, 70 yard passes but look at how Spain and Barca were playing football in the 00s, he was never "world class" he was just a top top PL player and the PL was the best league in the world so people can't not put two and two together and think best player in the best league must be the best player in the world, was never ever the case and that can be said about several PL / English players

The likes Xavi and Iniesta are a world away from what Gerrard was all about, same with Pirlo 

You're right about the modern PL too, would be interesting to see him in a post tiki taka footballing world 

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He sort of struggled at his time. He was close to the same age as Xavi and Pirlo who were miles ahead of him in technique

He was a moments player for me, couldnt control a game but popped up with a wondergoal and was his management style

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He was pure PL, did everything at 100mph, smashed shots in, crunching tackles, 70 yard passes but look at how Spain and Barca were playing football in the 00s, he was never "world class" he was just a top top PL player and the PL was the best league in the world so people can't not put two and two together and think best player in the best league must be the best player in the world, was never ever the case and that can be said about several PL / English players

The likes Xavi and Iniesta are a world away from what Gerrard was all about, same with Pirlo 

You're right about the modern PL too, would be interesting to see him in a post tiki taka footballing world 

Scholes was the only one who could hang with the European players, and later Carrick. Gerrard was not a modern midfielder, and his best spell was when Rafa realized this and played him as a second striker and left the midfield duties to the much more capable Xabi Alonso and Mascherano.

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

Scholes was the only one who could hang with the European players, and later Carrick. Gerrard was not a modern midfielder, and his best spell was when Rafa realized this and played him as a second striker and left the midfield duties to the much more capable Xabi Alonso and Mascherano.

And then that to me was the huge problem for England, I'm sure it was 2010 we did the same with Gerrard with then Rooney ahead of him and both of them words removed did their usual Roy of rovers routine and we had no attack 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

And then that to me was the huge problem for England, I'm sure it was 2010 we did the same with Gerrard with then Rooney ahead of him and both of them words removed did their usual Roy of rovers routine and we had no attack 

I remember Hargreaves was bizarrely hated by the media and fans but played a World Cup game for England and played well that it was some sort of miraculous invention to play a Defensive Midfielder

On 30/05/2024 at 23:57, Keyblade said:

That was my breaking point too. He had an entire fabled preseason and we looked just as bad as the end of the previous season despite technically being unbeaten. Dropping Ty and the whole look me in the eye garbage, yeah he had to go right then 

There was that West Ham game in his second season when both sides were awful and we somehow lost one nil to them. That is when I gave up on Gerrard considering  he had all pre season to get the team better and we were clearly regressing even by then.

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

I remember Hargreaves was bizarrely hated by the media and fans but played a World Cup game for England and played well that it was some sort of miraculous invention to play a Defensive Midfielder

Was a big fan of Hargreaves and also very much in the minority at the time. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â