Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

To be honest, if we played like we did for the first half yesterday, I'd be more than happy for Stevie G to stick around.

There's a certain irony in having our worst recent result from comfortably our best recent performance.

But as I’ve said before we play well against top six and generally walk away with very little like Chelsea yesterday and City a few weeks ago.  We then go back to normal against the rest of the non-sky6.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I may be wrong but I can't think of a recent manager we've had who has been allowed to be this bad. Even more amazing when you compare the backing he's had to other managers we sacked. 

and most fans thinking he should go, getting booed by away fans at Forest and home fans at Villa Park yet still keeps his job. Bizarre!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But as I’ve said before we play well against top six and generally walk away with very little like Chelsea yesterday and City a few weeks ago.  We then go back to normal against the rest of the non-sky6.

We didn't play a good game. We played a good half then Potter tactically adjusted and Gerrard failed to react to the changes. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Doesn't look like it.  Looks like he'll get the Fulham, possibly even the Brentford game.

He's going to get both which is a joke really, I see us getting max 2 points out of those games with Gerrard but realistically 1. CP really needs to be putting his reputation on the line for Gerrard at the moment because it's obvious to anyone who's watched us this season how out of his depth he is. 2 games is 5% of the season and it's 5% Gerrard doesn't deserve right now. He hasn't earned the goodwill to be allowed to endure such a bad run. 

The real killer with Gerrard is just the total lack of a style of play. If you had a manager who basically had a long ball style and made us tough to beat, a lot of people wouldn't like it but it would be an identity for the team. SG's team have no identity and no style and that's a real reason why there has been so many individual errors. SG has created an on pitch environment where there aren't standards and as such there are no leaders to hold people to account. 

Sacking the manager would at least give the fans a boost before two vital games. Leaving a man in there who has simply failed at the job he was brought in to do (which I am sure everyone can agree on) for two vital games is  a massive risk given how close to the relegation zone we are given the quality of opposition of the 5 games after that. 

If he was going to be sacked before the Fulham game it would have been announced either yesterday evening or this morning. All the press stating that this is a big week for him, suggesting that he's got the Fulham and Brentford games, although I guess defeat to Fulham might be the final straw, so then wouldn't get the Brentford game, but even then I'm not sure, three points from the next two might be seen as okay.

The trouble is I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us get three or four points from the next two, which would be good for us points wise, but would also give Gerrard more time as manager, and the cycle of us going on a bad run of form but then him doing just enough to keep his job will continue, and that won't get us anywhere.

Really a change should have been made before Fulham.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He'll keep going. We'll grind out results and Purslow will completely ignore the continous improvement and top half minimum comments. 

I'm not sure why they are getting away with trying to change expectations to top half.  The expectation before the season started was clearly 7th, they can't lower expectation just because the manager is terrible. 

(Not really a comment to you, just me annoyed at the club).

On 15/10/2022 at 18:34, nick76 said:

But Gerrard just said Chelsea should wipe the floor with us…similar mentality surely?

Not impressed with that comment, from him....but maybe in the wider context, he meant, something different.

maybe he was implying, when the transfer business stalled in the summer, it has had an effect.

Thers is something fundamenatlly wrong with our club, could be, like a culture issue....I am not convinced another manager will change that, unles radical thinking changes and new players come in.

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I'm not sure why they are getting away with trying to change expectations to top half.  The expectation before the season started was clearly 7th, they can't lower expectation just because the manager is terrible. 

(Not really a comment to you, just me annoyed at the club).

or maybe the expectation target had no substance.

The expectation seems to be to just avoid relegation this season if we’re just going to give him chance after chance. We’re heading for a right mess if things don’t change very soon.

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I may be wrong but I can't think of a recent manager we've had who has been allowed to be this bad. Even more amazing when you compare the backing he's had to other managers we sacked. 

Well its partly our expectations levels, which have been widely publicised by Purslow and the board. They appear ambitious, have spent lots of money and want European football. We are nowhere near that. In the Lerner/Lamberk era we were planning for premier league survival and he delivered that until he finally went.

Edited by The Fun Factory

13 minutes ago, useless said:

If he was going to be sacked before the Fulham game it would have been announced either yesterday evening or this morning. All the press stating that this is a big week for him, suggesting that he's got the Fulham and Brentford games, although I guess defeat to Fulham might be the final straw, so then wouldn't get the Brentford game, but even then I'm not sure, three points from the next two might be seen as okay.

The trouble is I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us get three or four points from the next two, which would be good for us points wise, but would also give Gerrard more time as manager, and the cycle of us going on a bad run of form but then him doing just enough to keep his job will continue, and that won't get us anywhere.

Really a change should have been made before Fulham.

Seems to be the case now, read it on multiple websites.

Ridiculous if true, he's had multiple games to try to turn things around.  We have no style of play, what exactly is going to "click" all of a sudden?  

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not impressed with that comment, from him....but maybe in the wider context, he meant, something different.

maybe he was implying, when the transfer business stalled in the summer, it has had an effect.

Thers is something fundamenatlly wrong with our club, could be, like a culture issue....I am not convinced another manager will change that, unles radical thinking changes and new players come in.

Is it possible that there is fundamentally something wrong with the club

and

There is something fundamentally wrong with the manager.

I don't think they are exclusive to each other.

We can get a new manager and still have plenty of work to do to change our fortunes.

But holding onto a manager because it's not all his fault, doesn't mean he isn't accountable for what is his fault.

I am the point where I would be sacking quite a few for failing in their jobs, but I know that's not how it works so I'll keep that list to myself 😁

Edited by Villan_of_oz

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Really?!?!

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Can you guess if I agree with this? 😉 

8 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Is it possible that there is fundamentally something wrong with the club

and

There is something fundamentally wrong with the manager.

I don't think they are exclusive to each other.

We can get a new manager and still have plenty of work to do to change our fortunes.

But holding onto a manager because it's not all his fault, doesn't mean he isn't accountable for what is his fault.

I am the point where I would be sacking quite a few for failing in their jobs, but I know that's not how it works so I'll keep that list to myself 😁

When you can identify the manager as one of the major problems you can change that.  It doesn’t mean there aren’t other problems but we can agree Gerrard is a problem.  Once we remove him we can then see whether the other problems are because of Gerrard or they are there whether Gerrard is here or not.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Anything less than 2 points in the next two games will see us sack him. Gerrard disgraced us yet again - and I’m sure Purslow and Co will have that in mind. Anything but a win against Fulham really should dictate his sacking. We can’t keep stuttering along. I trust the board to get it right and I hope the extra time taken means getting the right name into contention. We need a quick change and the right name, not a revolving door of inexperienced names. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Seems to be the case now, read it on multiple websites.

Ridiculous if true, he's had multiple games to try to turn things around.  We have no style of play, what exactly is going to "click" all of a sudden?  

Bear in mind the press is an inbread cesspool, and as soon as someone posts something that gets traction, the others just parrot it in, making it seem like everyone has arrived at the same conclusion. In reality it is just everyone writing the same story on the back of someone else, all of them leading back to a singular, tenuous source, often with nothing more than pure speculation as a basis. 

Echo chamber.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â