Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wished I hadn’t listened to the presser yesterday, just thinking this morning about the “try” positivity from Gerrard and even a reporter about being much higher in the table and then you look at the PL table. We are on the same points as 18th place, we have 9 points in 10 games, have scored only 7 goals, have a negative 6 goal difference, we’ve lost half of our league games this season and a 20% win percentage. Just makes me mad!

And we've had one of the easiest starts in the league.  

• Like 3

Need a big performance tonight....

from the away fans....regardless of the result/performance we need them to put a shift in at the end of the game and make it known his time is up

they have a big part to play imo

(support the lads during the game though)

• Like 1

He can only be being kept on while we finalise agreements with his replacement. There is no other justifiable option.

Can see him scraping a win tonight to just delay the inevitable. 

Do managers often get sacked immediately after a win? 

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He can only be being kept on while we finalise agreements with his replacement. There is no other justifiable option.

Can see him scraping a win tonight to just delay the inevitable. 

Do managers often get sacked immediately after a win? 

Farke got sacked from Norwich after beating Brentford. Lampard at Chelsea, and I'm pretty sure Nigel Adkins got sacked from Southampton even though he was unbeaten in 4 or 5 games (coincidently he was replaced with Pochettino).

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Farke got sacked from Norwich after beating Brentford. Lampard at Chelsea, and I'm pretty sure Nigel Adkins got sacked from Southampton even though he was unbeaten in 4 or 5 games (coincidently he was replaced with Pochettino).

Yes, when the decision is made results no longer matter. Hopefully this is the case with us...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Of course he’s going to say he’s not had chats with NSWE about his job, that’s Purslow’s job. He’s only trying to salvage his terrible managerial reputation. 

Neither is Purslow gonna say 'listen, you are on the edge, lose this and you are off'.

I feel like management business is the type of role where we are 100% behind you, until we are not. Probably rightly so. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Neither is Purslow gonna say 'listen, you are on the edge, lose this and you are off'.

I feel like management business is the type of role where we are 100% behind you, until we are not. Probably rightly so. 

Yes. That’s also very true. It’s going to happen soon enough either way. 

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

It's why I don't buy this "the players aren't as good as you all think" line of reasoning. The main point is that however good or bad one may think the squad is, it isn't this bad. Meanwhile there are numerous sides around the league getting more out of less because that's what good, coherent coaching can do. Newcastle for all the riches also have once derided players such as Joelinton and Almiron performing to high levels, you can extend this to more or less any side above us at the moment that have players many Villa fans would turn their noses up at were we linked to signing them.

Meanwhile a 37 year-old who was signed to be a utility player has been our stand-out performer thus far basically through using his experience. You'd have been laughed at for saying that would be the case a year ago but this is where we're at. The standard of this league is too high to be wasting time like this.

Good post and spot on. The set up and coaching is the deficiency in our club not the players. If Gerrard was getting good performances out of individuals, then an argument could be had that the players aren't good enough. However, not one of our players is performing to their best which indicates it's down to coaching and the management. It's the main reason he needs to go.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

It's why I don't buy this "the players aren't as good as you all think" line of reasoning. The main point is that however good or bad one may think the squad is, it isn't this bad. Meanwhile there are numerous sides around the league getting more out of less because that's what good, coherent coaching can do. Newcastle for all the riches also have once derided players such as Joelinton and Almiron performing to high levels, you can extend this to more or less any side above us at the moment that have players many Villa fans would turn their noses up at were we linked to signing them.

Meanwhile a 37 year-old who was signed to be a utility player has been our stand-out performer thus far basically through using his experience. You'd have been laughed at for saying that would be the case a year ago but this is where we're at. The standard of this league is too high to be wasting time like this.

Good coaching goes a long way indeed, the squad is capable of much more but the tactics of Gerrard and lack of identity have stifled it. Yes, the players take some responsibility for the lack of finishing at times, but Gerrard’s negative tactics have regressed and stifled our best players. The likes of Emi, Coutinho and Bailey would thrive under a different manager. 

One more thing if I'm honest.

We talk about how well the likes of Newcastle are doing under Howe. ( Which is factual, no argument )

But have you seen their goals, and the quality of some of the finishes?

They have won certain games, with a world class finish being the decider.

Have you seen the chances our " finishers " have missed?

Some of these players severely lack that kind of quality.

Obviously you mitigate that by setting up to our strengths. I feel we need 300 chances to convert a couple ffs.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We talk about how well the likes of Newcastle are doing under Howe. ( Which is factual, no argument )

Obviously you mitigate that by setting up to our strengths. I feel we need 300 chances to convert a couple ffs.

Part of that comes down to confidence which also comes with momentum. Gerrard for whatever reason has absolutely killed all momentum we had and confidence is on the floor. Maybe it's due to the constant changing of front 3, maybe it's just poor coaching/management, maybe it's the complete reversal on his "system" of high full backs and the players don't know what they're doing. Or maybe it's just that our players aren't good enough, though I really don't believe that is the case.

If our squad was full of happy players full of confidence they'd be scoring better goals too. 

We're so desperate atm it feels like players aren't taking risks. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Against Chelsea maybe, but every game I've watched (I've only missed a couple) we look like we couldn't score in a million years unless we get that moment of magic low percentage shot from a mile out. Most games we don't miss many chances because we barely make any.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â