Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Proves to me the players have the quality, just needs unlocking by that new manager.

Literally the day Coutinho started playing, who would go on to begin starting over a well performing Buendia. We never looked back...

No joke, I think Buendia has a silky touch in every single one of those highlights. Starting Coutinho over Buendia was the beginning of the end for Gerrard. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We were crap while Beale was still here as well. This was in January.

a week later Gerrard had his mini pre season and thats when it all started turning to shit when he had his own ideas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just my opinion .... I was banging the drum for Potter when it was obvious that Smith was going to be sacked, but when Gerrard was announced as the new manager I got excited at the potential boost to our media profile.

Almost a year later I can see our higher media profile, and recently I can also see that if we could only cut out the suicidal errors we are close to being a top ten team .... but .... I think I can see why we are struggling to break out of being "nearly there".

Gerrard is by far the biggest name and personality at Villa, and I believe that is holding the players back in terms of taking responsibility. Howe, Potter and even Arteta (as good a player as he was) are not iconic names, but Gerrard is.

SG was a great player but he has not proven himself a great coach, and yet the media is all about him which allows our players to hide behind his aura.

I now believe that we will not progress from where we are, until we bring in a Manager/Coach who can lead from behind the cameras instead of in front. 

That mini three game winning run, 9-0 aggregate against Brighton, Leeds and Southampton I thought at the time was a real step in the right direction.

Looking back at where the opposition was at the time though, Marsch was early days and finding his feet at Leeds, already in dreadful form (lost the previous 5 games). Brighton were very patchy all season and when they met us were in the middle of what would ultimately be a six game losing streak (the game before us they lost at home to Burnley 3-0).

The 4-0 Southampton win, I can’t put down to them being out of form, they were actually in very good form going into our game. Seemingly a good day at the office for us in that instance.

You can only beat what’s in front of you, they were good results. But perhaps looking back the circumstances at the time of some of opposition created a false sense that everything was better than it really was.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

a week later Gerrard had his mini pre season and thats when it all started turning to shit when he had his own ideas

Those pre seasons have really killed us.

It’s absurd. Villa under SG are a team that gets worse the more time is spent in training, and also worse in games where they have more of the ball.

2 minutes ago, Swerbs said:

Football Insider posts Gerrard has been sacked and Twitter goes crazy 😂

If they are right for once in their sorry lives they will dining off that for eternity. But if you throw enough darts... 

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â